Who Knows What "Getting the Heisman" Means in the Dating Context?

So, after having sworn off women for two months in order to get my head straight, I worked up enough gumption to ask a certain cute blonde girl to dinner.

After receiving her response, I told my buddy about it at lunch.

HIM: “How’d it go with Katie?”
ME: “Dude, she gave me the Heisman.”
HIM: --blank stare–

After explaining it to him, he understood and found it funny. But I was stunned that I had to explain it to him at all.

I therefore put it to you all-

Are you familiar with this phrase? If so, what does it mean to you?

Source: Urban Dictionary: heisman

Well, yah, but the question was-

How many of you know what it is without looking it up?

I was told that I was “dating myself” by using a metaphor nobody currently uses/understands.

I’m trying to get a sense of whether or not that’s the case.

From the Urban Dictionary:

I knew about it because the guys on the rugby team used to use it. When anyone looked quizzical, they’d do a perfect imitation of the statue, with the addition of a facial expression of “GOD NO” and it cleared up any confusion.

This was the early 1990s. I thought it was funny then and still do.

Then again, jokes have an embarrassingly long shelf life with me. “1920s-style death ray” still busts me up.

I had never heard it before.

Never heard of it.

Never, ever heard it before.

Never heard of it.

Never heard of it, then again, never really dated either.

[QUOTE=Happy Scrappy Hero Pup]
Well, yah, but the question was-
How many of you know what it is without looking it up?.
[/QUOTE]

No, the question was …

[QUOTE=Happy Scrappy Hero Pup]
Are you familiar with this phrase? If so, what does it mean to you?
[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

Touche.

:smack:

Knew it, never needed it explained to me, and it amuses me greatly to this day. :slight_smile:

Never heard it. Been subject to it, but never heard the term.

Yeah, you would have had to explain it to me too. I don’t know off the top of my head what the Heisman trophy looks like since I’m completely non-sporty. However, now that I understand it, it is funny. :slight_smile: Sorry to hear things went that way for ya though.

I can’t recall ever having heard the term, but I guessed what it meant as soon as I pictured the Heisman trophy.

Ditto. I’d never heard of it either.

Like Fionn, I had never heard it, but figured it out. I think it’s funny. Continue to use it whether it dates you or not!

Never heard of it before, but I figured out what it meant from the OP’s dialogue.

Never heard of it. Never heard of the trophy, either. (Then again, I spent the past 11 years in Korea. There we just say “Dude, I’ve been kicked.”)