My brother cooks scrambled eggs and omelettes until they are brown on the outside. GROSS.
I want my poached eggs runny, my scrambled eggs soft and creamy, omelettes so all ingredients are cooked but yellow with no brown on the outside. And my boiled eggs with a soft creamy yolk.
Soft, fluffy and yellow. What is so hard about that?
30 minute eggs should be punishable by a fine at the least if not some jail time.
Apparently there’s a Sephardic Jewish egg dish where the eggs are cooked to this brown color. Ideally they’re simmered for 7 hours at 160 - 165°F. I’m going to pull out the Instant Pot with the sous vide temperature control…
Yeah, 30 minutes–or Nero Wolfe’s 45 minutes–is impressive. I’m a big believer in “low and slow” for scrambled eggs, but that means I cook mine in 5-10 minutes once the pan’s hot, not 30.
And every time I make hard-boiled eggs, at least one of them pops, so don’t ask me for tips.
I’ve done hard-boiled eggs so many times that I have a system. Don’t put them into the water until it’s vigorously boiling, then put them in for 11 minutes. Not 10, not 12, 11. I don’t know why, but they come out perfect that way. The shells come off very easily as well.
I love making deviled eggs and that’s how I get started. Also, they have to go in an ice bath immediately, and then I leave them in the fridge for at least a half hour in the ice water.
Yep. My mother, bless her heart, cannot make hard boiled eggs without getting that green/gray on her yolk. I eat them because she’s my mom, and I’m happy to be fed, but good lord do they piss me off when I get them at a diner/restaurant where they should know better and I’m paying for the professional incompetence. The texture is off and the eggs get this more sulfurous flavor to them.
Very much disagree. They taste the same and have the same texture. Fully cooked yolks, even when yellow, always have that sulfur taste to them, which is why you can add salt with sulfur compounds (so-called black salt) to things when you can’t have yolks to mimic the flavor.
Now, sure, soft boiled eggs are different. They are sludgy (and I hate them). But hard boiled? That slight bit of green on the outside doesn’t change anything, and the whites are still the same lightly springy (but not rubbery) goodness.
I’ve yet to get what I would expect for overcooked, i.e. rubbery eggs or chewy eggs. That’s mostly microwave territory.
because of course BigT could write a couple paragraphs on her egg tastes :3
This is how my mom always made hard-boiled eggs (she was a pretty good cook otherwise). I was well into adulthood before I found out that the green tint on hard boiled egg yolks meant they were overcooked, not perfectly done.
So I made some of these long-cooked eggs. 7 hours at 160F wasn’t nearly enough; the whites were still very white and semi-soft. The next day I re-cooked them on high in the Instant Pot for 90 minutes per a recipe I saw online, and that was better. I think they could have gone longer though. They were lightly browned, and had a slight meaty taste, but just barely. The yolks weren’t overdone, and while they had some green surrounding them, it wasn’t that much. They tasted fine. I used some Valentina’s hot sauce on them. If I ever make them again I’ll cook them a little bit longer.
Yep, since I’ve learned to steam them in a pot I’ve never looked back. Ten minutes and they’re just slightly molten in the centers, while the white is fully cooked/firm but without even a hint of rubbery texture to them. I actually do monitor them with a stop-watch app on my phone .
But each to their own. I don’t like actual soft-boiled eggs at all.
I thought this thread was going to be about cooking eggs in an immersion circulator (“sous vide”, although that implies a vacuum). I see it less today but for a while I’d see menus with “eggs 53” or something. They were barely set and would just kind of explode when cut.
I prefer completely set, opaque, forkable whites and custardy yolks. But yolks set at a lower temperature than whites. You can’t equilibrate to get that.
But I’d eat the OP’s boiled eggs. Especially if I don’t have to cook and peel them!