Who was the better dancer: Fred Astaire, or Gene Kelly?

Who was the better dancer: Fred Astaire, or Gene Kelly? You’ll notice there are only two options. Pick one, or don’t vote.

Today is Fred Astaire Day on TCM. Lots of good dancing, of course. Personally, I think Gene Kelly seems more athletic, and I think I like his routines better. (Also, he reminds me of Popeye the Sailor.)

• Fred Astaire
  • Gene Kelly
0 voters

I agree that Kelly is more athletic. He dances by sheer force of physical will. Astaire is a better natural dancer, with an inherent easy grace.

The two had very different styles. Basically, Astaire made everything look easy (even when it took a lot of work), while Kelly was saying “look at me! I’m dancin’”

Kelly said that his style was more bravura (and that the two styles didn’t mesh well, one reason they only danced together once). Astaire was the definition of sprezzatura.

It boils down to which style you prefer. I’m partial to Astaire.

I think this is the only meaningful response to the question, because it’s art, although someone with enough knowledge of dance techniques could make a case for one or the other.

Their ages should be considered, as Astaire was 13 years older than Kelly, which probably means that the latter was watching and learning from the former’s films during his formative years.

If anyone’s interested, here’s what appears to be a well-written text on the subject:

Agreed. There’s no objective means to determine who was the better dancer, but I think there will be agreement that Astaire was the more entertaining dancer, and actor as well.

That will surprise me as Kelly made the better movies. Especially with On the Town, An American in Paris and Singing in the Rain.

It was a supporting role but his acting in Inherit the Wind was great.

Astaire was probably more technically proficient, but Kelly was loads more fun to watch.

Probably the best example of Gene’s athleticism: https://youtu.be/Aus1PA5-SyI

Singing in the Rain is one of my favorites, so I voted for Gene Kelly.

I voted for Gene Kelly, but the question I answered was “Which dancer do I prefer?”

It’s Singin’ in the Rain, and he’s not even the best dancer in the movie.

And (by Kelly’s own admission, IIRC) the titular umbrella dance is not particularly challenging technically. It is of course utterly wonderful. OTOH, Astaire is always in perfect balance and position every second – every frame of every film has him in exactly the position called for in the dance, even though the dances were often difficult and always filmed in single takes. That perfection and grace is part of why the ballet dancer Baryshnikov called Astaire the greatest dancer of all time, not excluding his fellow ballet dancers.

This is an interesting observation.

Who would I rather watch dance? Astaire.

Whose movies would I rather watch? Kelly.

Hmmm.

So I guess my favorite Astaire Movie is actually The Band Wagon.
None of his early classic movies are worth watching as movies, but clips of his dance scenes are excellent of course.

I assume you mean Cyd Charisse? If so, I might agree with you.

I’ll repeat (but not verbatim) what I said in the original attempt at a thread: they are very different from each other in many ways, but I think Kelly was more versatile. He could do anything Astaire could do and a lot more besides. There are dozens of Kelly’s numbers that I can’t imagine Astaire even attempting, or wanting to. The Girl Hunt sequence in The Bandwagon was an attempt, but it really only showed how Astaire wasn’t well suited to that kind of dancing and action. Also, Kelly was much more convincing as a romantic lead. He had his own sizzle, he didn’t need a female dancing partner to give it to him.

eta: my favorite pure dance numbers weigh a little more towards Astaire*, and he was the better singer, but for dance in its broader sense, he was still not the best.

*My favorite tap number is still Begin the Beguine from Broadway Melody of 1940. As Sinatra said in his intro in That’s Entertainment, we’ll never see its like again.

But to me, this is probably the greatest dance number in movies:

If memory serves, Kelly once remarked, “Fred Astaire dances for the bourgeoisie. I dance for the proletariat.” While I love them both, I know which side I’m on :slight_smile: Then there’s this: https://youtu.be/YbuFLUJ89Kw

The beauty of Art(including dance) is in the eye of the beholder.

I like Kelly, myself.

For me, the greatest dance number in movies is “Let’s Face the Music and Dance”:

https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=c08wiEyVuak
(I had to add a break to the link to get it to post)

To me, Fred is just so light and perfect, it’s like he’s some kind of supernatural being, rather than an ordinary human being. Gene is a great dancer, but you don’t get that sense with him. Of course, for some people that’s why they prefer Gene; he seems like a real person.

Full credit to Ginger Rogers too, of course.

I don’t like Gene Kelly. I love Fred Astaire.