Who was the better dancer: Fred Astaire, or Gene Kelly?

Call me bourgeois, then.

But neither Astaire or Kelly could have done this: the greatest dance routine ever filmed.

Incredible skill and athleticism. But there is more to a dance scene than that. I assume the grace part of dancing is what has Astaire well ahead of Kelly thus far. But I do like that number better than any of Astaire’s.

It is great, no argument here!

Sure. But they aren’t in the running. I wouldn’t rate either Astaire or Kelly as the best dancer of all time.

Grace, sensuality, and muscularity, with perfect control, all in one package (and all credit to Leslie Caron, of course).

Astaire worked with Caron in one picture, Daddy Long Legs, although of course he was considerably older by then. But can you imagine him doing any of these lifts, or displaying this kind of sensuality, at any age?

No, and that is why I prefer Kelly.

Also Daddy Long Legs was a creepy movie when you come right down to it.

I’m sure Astaire was quite strong for a skinny guy. Bobby Van once told of encountering Fred Astaire outside a Hollywood sound stage, Van was just starting out as a song and dance actor, Astaire was walking casually by when in front of his path lay a small nail. Van says he did a quick dance step and the nail went flying through the air and ricocheted off a near-by brick wall like it was fired from a gun. He had remarkable strength and coordination.

As a wise man once said, that hurts me just lookin’ at it.

Frank Sinatra said Vic Damone had “the best pipes in the business.” But who would you rather see perform, Sinatra or Damone?

A singer I forgot about and didn’t need to be reminded of. But he did an excellent version of On The Street Where You Live

Give me Sinatra, any day and every day.

I can think of several artsy-fartsy dance routines featuring Gene Kelly, but I can’t think of any with Fred Astaire.

Fred Astaire and Bob Hope presented an Oscar at the 1970 acadamy awards. Fred broke out in a little impromptu dance. He was 70 years old at the time.

Fred Astaire Cuts Loose: 1970 Oscars - YouTube

Hey, it wasn’t MY line!

But the dancing was just as good as if it wasn’t creepy. Maybe you would enjoy the dancing more if the creep factor was smaller.

I wonder if Jack Skellington was based on Fred Astaire.

I prefer Gene Kelly’s enthusiasm and joyous dance. I’m sure it was extremely hard work, but he made it look like he was enjoying himself.

Astaire is also good. His dance may have been more technical. I still perform Gene’s overall performances.

I’ve always admired Gene Kelly.

But the elegance and beauty of Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse “Dancing in the Dark” in “The Band Wagon” brings tears to my eyes.

MGM Talent Scout’s Assessment of Fred Astaire-

Can’t act. Can’t sing. Slightly bald. Can dance a little.

Astaire had a gift few others have. He could make any partner look good:

I still haven’t voted. In general, I like Kelly’s physicality more than Astaire’s make-it-look-easy style. But I like Astaire’s inventiveness.

There’s the great dance with the hat rack, and also:

Can’t believe no one has beaten me to it with the quote: “Sure he (Fred) was great, but don’t forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did, …backwards and in high heels.”