Who was the "Scorpion King" of Egypt?

I have heard that the 2002 film The Scorpion King was based on a real figure – or rather, an actual legendary figure – from Egyptian History, but I have been unable to find any details. The Wikipedia article on Conventional Egyptian Chronology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_Egyptian_chronology) mentions “Scorpion I” as the first king of “Dynasty 0” but gives no more information. Does anybody know anything about the Scorpion King?

King Scorpion (which may be why you found nothing with “Scorpion King”) was the ruler who preceeded King Narmer, who unified Upper and Lower Egypt. He ruled Upper Egypt in 3250 BC. He supposedly built monumental temples, set the road to pyramid building, ordered the invention of writing (not too doubtful, as King Sejong of Korea ordered a script be made to write Korean-- Hangul). Not much is known beyond that, from what i’ve been able to dig up.

See

King Scorpion

Archeology Magazine
Narmer (Menes)

The Narmer Macehead and Related Objects

The title role in that movie (which was one of the better Conan-style S&S films, by the way) bears only a small resemblance to the historical character. The name he is known by, by the way, is derived from the fact that he used a scorpion hieroglyph as his ‘signature’ – I presume his actual throne name was whatever the Ancient Egyptian for “scorpion” might be. He is probably the first historical figure known to have definitely existed (as opposed to being the stuff of legend) and known by name.