Who will be the University of Cincinnati's next head coach?

I think the deafening silence is all the Cincinnati fans suddenly realizing that when you hire a new coach from a bowl bound team in the middle of December, it’s expected that he vacate the position immediately and get to work, rather than fuddle around and help the old team recruit.

So who will be the next head coach at Central Michigan?

If by “Cincinnati fans” you mean me, well…I stated my position on this issue already, that being that the whole system for the coaching roulette wheel to be enabled as it is just sucks. Kelly should be coaching UC in the Sugar Bowl, those are his players, just like Butch Jones should be still coaching his players. The schools interested in hiring them should have to wait until the season is over.

I know there’s no solution really as it is what it is, but it still sucks for the players and fans.

Jones has already said that he is going to take a back seat to Jeff Quinn for the Sugar Bowl, which is honorable. I would like to see him be able to coach CMU in the GMAC bowl as well, and like FGIE stated before me, the system is broken. Good hire, good continuity in systems, sees UC as a destination, and has already hired Kelly’s top recruiter and Asst. head Coach, which should help him retain a decent incoming recruiting class.

Then again that’s what Mike Price did when he left my Cougs and by all reports from the team, everyone mailed it in against Oklahoma in the '03 Rose Bowl. They shouldn’t be allowed to even ANNOUNCE until both team’s season is completely over.

Completely agree. The coaches have backdoor meetings with potential employers anyway, whether we know about them or not. The institutions in question should be granted some kind of continuity for this process. It is what it is and all, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it. There should be rules governing this kind of transition, much like the onerus rules that players “suffer” from under the NCAA umbrella.

Can I ask why? The outcome of a bowl game isn’t very important to the football program compared to the recruiting that takes place in December.

Mike Leach would make a great coach. Or does he need a year off to reprioritize?