Whoah ! These guys are going FAST !!

As a driver: a shade over 150 MPH (241 KPH) in a souped-up V8 firebird, which was a LONG ways from being topped out, but my nerves had topped out some ways back :-). The real problem is that car probably had enough power for 175-ish MPH (280 KPH), if not more, but the suspension was not good for more than about 110 MPH (177 KPH), so it got pretty “floaty” when you went a lot faster. Not even remotely a safe thing to do.

As a passenger, about 110 MPH (177 KPH) in a turbo Eclipse.

I am hearby officially jealous of Coldfire’s ride in the Testarossa.

peas on earth

Holy shit.

Kinda makes one keenly aware of one’s mortality, does it not? :slight_smile:

peas on earth

I-25 in the middle of the night through Wyoming-- 110 mph.

As a passenger, maybe 80 mph. My parents don’t drive that fast. :slight_smile:

I am also officially jealous of Coldfire.
– Sylence

And now, for my next trick, I will talk in spooky half-references.

Thanks guys. I knew those 55 mph speed limits were bothering you :slight_smile:

Satan: must I remind you of the fact that the US is officially metric ? Not that it really affects everyday life though :wink: (Well, there was this rocket that went to Mars… ooh nevermind…)
No worries, for Patriotic Americans who don’t want to loose the King’s Measurements, I’ll do the conversion myself.

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

650mph in a plane.

125 in a vw beetle, yep.
unstable as hell as that speed.

OK, since we’re getting into alternate forms of transport:

Mach 2.0 in the Concorde, NYC to London and back.
(They have these big displays on the bulkhead wall
that tell you how fast & high you’re traveling.)

::waiting to be topped by some AF or Navy pilot::

But here’s the clincher: I got to fly Concorde for FREE!!
(OK, it was 130,000 frequent flyer miles.)

Hey,

Start your own thread, you airheads !!
This is about cars, speed, highways, etc.

Near-crash stories are welcome too. But get your plane-stories on out of here :slight_smile:

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

No planes, Okay, how about boats? 70MPH or 112KPH as a passenger. No, I’m not going to water ski when that crazy s.o.b. is driving.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

How about Jetskis? 60mph, and I would have gone faster but I’d hit a wave and go flying up in the air, losing a good 7 - 8mph. It would nearly fling me off, too; my body would bounce a good two feet above the seat and the only thing keeping me on was my death grip on the handles. God, that was fun. The guy who I rented the 1200cc Jetski said, “y’know, you never really need to use full throttle; maybe a tap on the throttle to get you over a wave or something.” Yeah, right! What’s the point of having full throttle unless you crank it?

“Happiness is nonetheless true happiness because it must come to an end, nor do thought and love lose their value because they are not everlasting.”

• Bertrand Russell

250kmh test driving a Mercedez 560SEL at the beginning of this year, and the chip wouldn’t let it go any faster. I swear that is the last time they let me test their cars. I have to say though, it feels more like you are driving a sofa than a sportscar though, give me that Ferrari anyday.

Memorable zippy times:

As a passenger, 140 mph in the trunk of a Dodge Dart;

At 17 I got pulled over for 120 in a 70 zone and didn’t get a ticket! They pretty much disassembled the car, though.

Okay, I have to hear beatle’s story. 140MPH in the trunk? You were running late for the drive-in movie? Hmmmm?

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart