Who're you voting for?

Do you find this question offensive (besides the horrible grammar)?

I was brought up to believe that it was extremely rude to ask someone how they were voting. I guess it was the whole secret ballot and avoidance of persecution based on political beliefs thing. My family would have heated discussions about politics and current events around the dinner table, but I have NEVER - and would never - consider asking my parents how they voted.

My husband, on the other hand, was apparently raised by a pack of wolves, because he’ll ask you straight up whose name you’re going to check on the ballot. I’m beginning to think the voting secrecy is an American thing, though, because since I’ve been in Australia (3 months) I’ve had at least 10 people ask me if I’m voting in the American election and, if so, who I’m voting for. Now, I don’t particularly care and it’s pretty apparent, if you talk to me for more than 5 minutes, where my thoughts lie on the subject. Every time someone asks me, though, I have a split-second of startled confusion. It probably looks like it hadn’t even occurred to me that I’d have to pick someone.

So, is this an American thing? A weird C3’s family thing? Do you ask people this question? Do you ask people you just met this question? Would you tell someone if they asked you? Would you look like a deer caught in the headlights as you were responding?

It’s a weird C3’s family thing.

I’ve not known anyone to ever be offended by my asking them who they intend to vote for and I’ll gladly tell anyone that I’m voting for Kerry if they ask. Or, in the case of this post, not even wait to be asked.

Members of my family have been known to ask that just to start arguments. We can’t even talk about it at work anymore either, because everyone got just a bit too heated. I don’t find it an offensive question, though.

What’s wrong with the grammer?

There is something wrong with my spelling though.

If you’re a real pedant, it should be “For whom are you voting?” (Never end a sentence with a preposition!!)

I should also add that I once started a thread entitled “Who do you boycott?” One of the first responses was to admonish me for using “who” instead of “whom.” I thought I’d get the CYA out of the way at the beginning.

C3 I guess we are going to be in the minority but I find it rude to ask also. If two people mutually get into a political conversation then I don’t see a problem with it coming up but it is not small talk.

Nah, I don’t think it’s rude. After all, in an ideal world we would all go vote and discuss our choices in a calm reasonable manner, agreeing to disagree where applicable.

However, we don’t live in an ideal world, so I typically decline to answer that question. If someone pushes after that, then it’s rude.

I never answer that question. Most people who know me well probably suspect which way I tend to vote, but only my wife knows who I’ve voted for in the past. I was also raised to be secretive about who I vote for. Isn’t that the point of a ‘secret ballot’?

Add me to that minority. I was brought up to believe that it is extremely rude to ask someone who they’re voting for.

We’re on vacation now, but I’ll be seeing new and old nosy co-workers soon enough. 90% of the people I work with who demand to know who you vote for do so if you’re not voting for their guy they can “make you see the light” and attempt to change your mind. Which is totally inappropriate for the work place IMHO. So… instead of saying " None of your fucking business you nosey idiot" is there a politer way of telling people to leave you alone about politics…that actually works? Call me crazy, but I’d prefer the bulk of workplace stress to come from, you know, our actual work.