Why are all the most beautiful flags symbols of oppressive regimes?

Iceland. The Anti-Norway.

Dunnow, man… I mean, the bicolor itself is nicely recognizable, but the squiggle in the middle tends to be wrong a lot when reproduced by non-official sources. Either it gets moved to the center (which isn’t that much of a deal) or the wrong version is used; most commonly, an old version (I’ve seen it with different versions of the arms of Emperor Charles - the bicolor didn’t exist back then); sometimes, a region or the columns get lost. And that’s with the current coat of arms being simpler than about any previous version.

Because tyrannies are more likely to be driven by the singular will of a demagogue, or inherit the trappings of propaganda-minded revolutionaries; either way, their imagery would be more likely to have a strong, singular artistic vision, perhaps even deliberately formulated to be viscerally visually appealing, yet still remaining recognizable while being widely malleable. Good branding, in other words.

“Nice” countries, on the other hand, are more likely to have their flags designed by committee, with a lot of squabbling and bickering that only produces a flag that, while bland, doesn’t offend anyone—or at least, leaves everyone equally dissatisfied—and, likely, on a deadline, and with an eye for making it as cheap as possible; or, possibly, just by some old men without a spark of creativity in their dried up old heads, but strict devotion to the rules of vexillology, regardless of whether the final result is actually particularly inspiring, recognizable, or even practical.

…now, is that theory actually true? Pffft, who knows? Or cares? I just made it up because it sounded good and halfway plausible. Be my guest, 'gussy it up and use it on dates or family gatherings to sound smart. :smiley:

Old Glory outdoes them all :slight_smile:

What’s “beautiful” is subjective.

Subjective.

That flagis an ugly, cluttered, poorly-designed and unheraldic piece of shit just taken by itself, never mind compared to our lovely new flag.

Molvania (not a real country)

Fascinating. Does the US military have one?

Check out some the European regional flags - found towards the bottom of this wiki page: Flags of Europe - Wikipedia

I like the Friesland and the Basque flags.

Amen.:slight_smile:

Hugo Boss was very much a Nazi, and ran a sweatshop (using slave labour) where they manufactured Nazi uniforms, one of many. But he didn’t design them, Karl Diebitsch did.

Given the miltary’s penchant for written doumentation and doing things in a supremely uniform fashion, I’m sure they do – although I’m not sure of the specifics, I wouldn’t be suprised if it is FAR more compartmentalized these days. I would guess there’s one or more separate manuals on printed material guidelines, digital creative guidelines, uniform guidelines, vehicle graphic guidelines, etc. I doubt if you’ll find one big comprehensive “guide to everything” today.

I’m as patriotic as the next 'Murikan, but I’ve never thought the Stars and Stripes were all that beautiful, considered just as a design. Too busy, and there’s a conflict between the dark blue and white cube of the canton and the red and white stripes.

I’ve always liked simple, symmetrical flags like those of Canada, Ireland, and the Czech Republic.

I realize I’m biased, but I personally think we in Canada have an excellent flag; it uses on two colours and is relatively simple, but it’s strikingly different from any other flag and instantly recognizable.

I did like the old Soviet flag. The North Korean flag’s ugly as hell and the old South Africa flag was hideous. Flags should not have OTHER flags in them, should not have too many colours, and should be easily drawn freehand.

It’s not exactly an oppressive regime, but I’ve thought that Argentina had a pretty rocking flag. Mostly I just like the color scheme; arguably it would be better if the Sun didn’t have a face.

How come this website hasn’t been linked to yet? http://www.otago.ac.nz/philosophy/Staff/JoshParsons/flags/ratings-a.html

The maple leaf is a little meh. I think the Israeli and Japanese flags did a better job of putting something meaningful in the middle of a white space.

Stylized shield/star of David, symbol of our people as it struggles against a more powerful hostile world.

Stylized rising sun, symbol of our rising nation.

A leaf from the tree that gives us the syrup we pour on the snow to make taffy. (Sorry.)

http://www.elginpk.com/worsley1213_2/agerbo/tubbie.jpg

Then you must loathe the Turkmenistan flag!

As an American, I’ve got to say that I agree. A flag should be simple enough to take in at a glance while it’s blowing in the wind, easy enough that a five-year-old can draw it recognizably, and distinctive of the place that it’s the flag of (that is, if you didn’t already know that that was the place’s flag, you should be able to guess). Canada’s meets all of those criteria.

The US flag, meanwhile, is just too busy. When was the last time you saw someone draw a picture of it, and include all 50 stars and 13 stripes? We do have some good state flags, though, like New Mexico and Alaska (and honorable mention to my native Ohio, for breaking out of the rectangular box, but it’s still a bit too busy and non-distinctive). On the other hand, though, how many state flags consist of a dark blue field with the state seal in the middle of it? Seals have no business on any flag (they all look alike at a glance, circle-with-some-random-details-in-it), and putting them all on the same background just makes it worse.

South Carolina also has a great flag.

Canadian provincial flags are mostly as terrible as US state flags. I guess sub national flags are just the B team or something. Quebec is very nice, most of the others are dreadful.

I still get the giggles when I remember the outrage about Obama and the Ohio flag. But I always thought the circle looked like a stuffed olive.