Why are black people so LOUD?

“And now, let’s go to Ollie Williams with the forecast for this thread. Ollie?”

"It’s gon’ rain!"

Ok, so if we determine that loud and obnoxious covers the spectrum of humanity, what do you think causes it? Fear? Powerlessness? Entitlement? Self importance?

That’s a questionable assertion but ok.

Some cultures tend to be louder and are more boisterous than others. But I don’t even think it’s the majority of black people that are loud. It’s just some black people are outstandingly or even rudely (by our standards) loud and they grab our attention. Like others have mentioned there are groups that are equally ‘loud’.

Deafness or sinus congestion in some cases, I’d wager. Others are high strung, and really don’t realize just how loud in comparison to others they are, or don’t care to use their “indoor voices”. Some really aren’t brought up to be considerate to others in that way, as they perhaps were with table manners and giving up their seat to the elderly or a pregnant woman.

Sounds a lot like my former neighbors. They eventually defaulted on their mortgage and had to move out. They were always screaming and carrying on. Thank the lord they’ve left. shudder

And yeah, they were whiter than white.

Oh, come on, dude. I was hoping you’d show up. Say it loud!! :wink:

I have a coworker that we all think is a lovely individual… until you have to sit near her. I offered to give up my office and take a cubicle so she could have my office and close the door when she’s on the phone. And if she was any whiter, she’d be see-through. The owner of the company took her aside and talked to her about using her inside voice, and found out that her father is very hard of hearing, so she speaks loudly as a habit. Personally, I think it’s a question of chicken and the egg. Seriously, I must imagine that her husband has some hearing damage by now.

Also Askia! Long time no see! Good to see you back around!

Maybe because they’ve had 400 years of White people not listening to them. When it’s only Black folks together, they just whisper to each other. :slight_smile:

My favorite line in the OP was this:

We will now move to the next agenda item in the quarterly shareholders’ meeting. LaKisha, do you have those 5 year revenue projections?

Living where I do, I would not agree with this (taking ethnicity to mean culture rather than race). There are certainly definite cultural differences in how people perceive noise and whether or not they are being loud. People here routinely blare music and make all kinds of deafening noise at parties, but nobody gives a second thought about it. In the US, neighbors would be calling the police, but here nobody even notices it. If you ask anyone to tone things down, they look at you like you have two heads. They just don’t understand why you would even be annoyed. Culturally, people simply have different standards about how they react to noise.

This said, I can’t say that I have perceived US blacks as being particularly loud as a group. People from lower socioeconomic groups may, however, be less inhibited about being loud.

So it’s their diet?

Black people are loud.

Black people eat chicken.

Eating chickens make you loud.

I’ll test this out tonight …

My last next door neighbor was the loudest human being I’ve ever experienced, and she was as white as we come. When she yelled I could hear her from three flights up with all the doors and windows closed and the tv on. She was also a stewardess so it’s quite possible that all those years of plane engines had left her with considerable hearing loss. Her kids yelled too, but they were young and had her as a mother so they could be excused.
-Lil

Don’t forget… it’s supposed to be FRIED chicken! It won’t work if you grill the chicken like a white person!

Have you ever heard and/or seen the stereotypical american tourist in a country where no-one speaks english?

They usually try to bridge the communication gap by shouting. (and they usually are white)

Aw, crap!
Gotta go buy me some more chickens. And some Crisco.

God damn it

Yeah, well, you know who’s really loud? I mean, really REALLY loud?

Persian girls.

When you fuck them.

In their butts.

Persian girl butt sex loud makes black loud seem like dead baby in the library loud.

I’m just sayin’.

Because it’s hard to be heard over all the jackasses whose opinions are stupid in the extreme! Plus, our big lips and butts amplify sound.

No, man, go to Popeye’s.

This one is easy, and would explain why they are exceptionally loud around you, and not so around me. When black people are around you, they have to speak up so that you can hear them as you’re running across the street away from them, clutching your wallet. So, you are correct in that there is a sociocultural explanation. Next time, talk to them face to face, so that we might complete the experiment.

You remind me of a female friend I had once that wouldn’t dance, date, or spend time with blacks because some of them would hit on her, and not let it go if she wasn’t interested. Of course, the fact that many whites did the same thing (although she never seemed to remember it by the next day) didn’t cause her to avoid dancing, dating, or spending time with them.

Oh stewardess, I speak jive.

I cannot believe you said that. :eek:
:wink: gigi, white and, coincidentally, naturally soft-spoken