Why aren't Egg Cups common in the US?

Are you trying to seach in a specific catogory, like housewares or pottery? Because if you do a general search for “Egg Cups” and restict the search to Location: US Only there are 2075 hits at the moment.

But is that at sea level or at high altitude?

Bob

Ohhhhhhhh…an offer of egg cups…I must drink more coffee before I make some kind of deal …I have nothing to send you in exchange ( well, how about a metric buttload of Mcdonald’s toys? she offers hopefully. :slight_smile:

Yingtingtiddlypo …I like those two links you provided! Now I want to collect egg cups.

I am going to the Chicago area this weekend, with a possible stoppage at Ikea ( for Meatballs for the manly men with us. I will elbow my way through the crowds to see if they carry egg cups. ( and end up buying something huge to pack in a SUV with 5 people and all their goods.)

I did see egg cups at Kroger’s yesterday and I was really happy ( except they are ummm rather…retarded in their eastery motif. But for $1.99 for 4, they would be acceptable if this grand quest fails.

What, exactly, is a Coddled Egg?

I’ve learned there are some verbs that should not be googled. Coddled would probably bring up links to some Bizzare Fetish that I really don’t need to pollute my brain with.

No exchange needed. I’ve enjoyed your company on the boards and it’ll be two fewer things to clean. I think I’ve got a recipe for coddled eggs at home. They’re similar to soft-boiled eggs, as I recall. I’ll post it this evening if I have time.

CJ

Egg cups aren’t common in the US for the reasons listed above…the cholesteral scare, the “no time for breakfast” lifestyle, the rise of cereal as the breakfast food of choice, the working mom who has no time for finicky cooking and timing of things in the morning.

Just the other day I was looking up at the shelves in the kitchen and wondering when the last time was that I usd the egg cups that are sitting there. Now I have an intense craving for a soft-boiled egg, something I haven’t eaten in about 30 years. I’m not afraid of the salmonella scare…I still make Hollandaise from scratch and eat sunny-side-up. Perhaps I’m wrong, but my understanding is that not all eggs are capable of giving you salmonella, just the ones that are infected, and since you can’t tell which are infected, they advise just avoiding them altogether to be on the safe side. Since I’m a huge risk-taker (yeah, right!) I’ve decided to play the odds and keep doing what I’ve always done and eat those sunny-side-up eggs.

Many, many years ago I started using this egg timer for all my hard-boiling needs. It really takes the guess-work and timing out of the process, and works great at the high altitudes I used to live at. I have never tried it for soft-boiled, but I’m feeling the urge right now.

I can now add this to my list of baffling American culinary habits:

Don’t eat boiled eggs from eggcups
Use the bit of bacon that is fed to the dogs in the rest of the world
Eat pizzas with only 2 or 3 toppings
Eat instant “mashed potato”
Don’t eat beets
Eat burgers that contain no vegetables - lettuce, onion, tomato, beetroot
Don’t eat much lamb
Don’t generally drink tea
Drink American beer

Well, the vernal equinox is coming up soon. Maybe that will help. :slight_smile:

Beetroot? On a hamburger? Living south of the equator mast make your tastebuds atrophy or something.

I’d give you the last one on your list, but then I remembered…Foster’s!

Game, Set and Match to the Merkins, I believe. :smiley:

Okay, y’all are weird about the beetroot (blech), but what’re you talking about with the rest? Burgers most always come with lettuce, onion, and tomato, if you get them at a restaurant. Pickle, too. Some people pick them off, but they still come that way.

I just want you all to know that, thanks to this thread, I had a dream last night that I made a soft boiled egg and put it in an egg cup holder and cut off the top with the egg cutting tool.

Lovely dream. :rolleyes:

Instant taters rock. Fast and tasty.

I love beets.

Lamb is very scarce here, from what I have seen.

Doesn’t drink beer.

Don’t eat boiled eggs from eggcups

This I do not do, admittedly.
Use the bit of bacon that is fed to the dogs in the rest of the world

I don’t care much for bacon as served in the US, thus I eat sausage.
Eat pizzas with only 2 or 3 toppings

I argue that anyplace whose favorite pizza is Hawaiian has no room to talk. :wink:
Eat instant "mashed potato"

It’s only because… well… I don’t know why anyone would eat instant mashed potatoes. It’s not like using real potatos is very tricky or hard…
Don’t eat beets

Pass me the beets please.

Eat burgers that contain no vegetables - lettuce, onion, tomato, beetroot

What do you mean, “no vegetables”? Didn’t you know catsup is made from tomatoes? :wink: I usually like lettuce and onions on my burger. My stomache and tomatoes do not agree.

Don’t eat much lamb

I like lamb, although if you said mutton I’d have to agree. I can usually find lamb, but I can’t find mutton.

Don’t generally drink tea

I drink iced tea and sometimes hot tea… I never drink coffee though.

Drink American beer

I don’t drink beer very often.

You are correct. I’ve seen estimates that 1 in 20,000 eggs contains salmonella.

Salmonella’s unlikely to do anything but give you an unpleasant case of diarrhea that lasts maybe a day or two unless you’ve got other health or immune system problems, or are very old, very young, or pregnant. I’m a bit paranoid about it, though, because I’m on the Pill, and diarrhea can reduce the effectiveness of the Pill.

It’s relatively easy for me to avoid salmonella from eggs- I don’t like runny cooked eggs, and it’s much easier to get bottled caesar salad dressing than to make it from scratch.

But it does take time, which is often in short supply on weeknights. If you don’t get home till 6:30 or so, and you’d like to eat dinner by a reasonable time, you don’t really have time for real mashed potatoes. Rather than not have mashed potatoes at all, I’d rather have instant.

I’ve been wondering about this issue for some time. though France, if you’re relatively well informed, you might know that salmonella exists and that poultry might be a culprit, there’s absolutely zero official recommendations about eggs, nor ever any mentions of such a risk in the medias, usually so eager to tell us which foodstuff is going to kill us.

Why this difference? I’ve seen it discussed on a travelboard, but they’re all enthusiastic europhiles, and I think their opinion is roughly that french eggs are imbedded with mystical french properties that, besides strongly enhancing their flavor, prevent them from causing any harm.

So, is it simply a case of either american paranoïa and/or french/european carelessness, like in the case of cheese made with unpasteurized milk, or is there any evidence that salmonella would be for some reason less of risk on this side of the Atlantic, and if so, why?
More of a GQ, maybe, and not really in the tone of this thread, but does somebody have any idea?

As mentioned earlier, only 1 in 20,000 eggs actually are infected with salmonella. Now, if you happen to get that 1 in 20,000 egg, you then have to cook it in a way that will not kill the salmonella. Even soft-boiling and over easy have a good chance of killing the salmonella that is present. Not a 100% chance, since not all the egg is raised to the temperature needed to kill the bacteria, but most of the egg is, so there’s a good chance.

So, what are the odds of getting salmonella now? Well, considerably lower. And then, even if it survices the cooking process, or it was eaten raw for some reason (caesar salad, or some other dish with raw or very close to it eggs) it then has to survive your own digestive and immune systems. Although salmonella is resistant to getting killed off in your digestive track, it’s not completly immune to it, hence why it’s more dangerous in those with weakened immune systems, like young children, pregnant women, and the elderly. And then, even if it does get a foot hold in your system, it might jsut give you a bad case of the runs for a day, and there’s a chance you never knew you had it.

Basically, the salmonella risk (at least in eggs) has been greatly overblown by both the US media nad the US government. But in our over-litigous society, if we put enough warnings on everything then it saves a company from getting sued by morons who don’t think they need to take any personal responsibility for anything.

Probably a bit of both. Even on this side of the Atlantic, different regions of the US are at different levels of risk for salmonella from eggs. From what I’ve read, the Northeast has the greatest concentration of salmonella in eggs (about 1 in 10,000). Since NYC is in the northeast and a good chunk of our news agencies are HQed there, you’re going to here a lot of shrieking about it. It just may be that the salmonella levels in France are not very high and so nobody pays much attention.

Ketchup is a vegetable. The USDA under Ronald Reagan said so.* If you say it isn’t, you’re a terrorist :wink:

but did you use an egg cozy? :stuck_out_tongue:

A coddled egg is an egg cooked inside a little container. My mom’s are these little ceramic containers with screw-on metal lids (they’re painted to look like Humpty Dumpty). You crack the inside of the eggs into the container, screw on the lids, and let them sit in boiling water for…some amount of time. Then you remove them, unscrew, and dip your toast!

It may be an Irish/British thing…my mom’s family is Irish and I think the coddlers have been in the family for awhile.

P.S. If you’d like to have tea or something when you’re in town, drop me a line!