Why aren't Egg Cups common in the US?

Because they ar so damned expensive (at least in my pattern they are).

That’s probably because a lot of Americans have avoided eggs in the last couple of decades because they’re high in cholesterol. Also, the US government recommends that people not eat eggs unless they are cooked until the whites and yolks are firm, due to the hazard of salmonella.

There’s also the fact that many Americans don’t eat a sit-down breakfast any more. We want something quick that we can grab and go before work or school.

We do. We only eat pizza with a knife and fork if the crust is too floppy to hold a slice in your hand. If God had wanted us to eat pizza with a knife and fork, He wouldn’t have made that lip of crust on the back of each slice, nor would He have made the crust so hard to cut through with a knife. :wink:

That’s what sunny-side-up eggs are for. :cool: Over easy works too, as long as you don’t fry the egg for too long.

Now I have a hankering for sunny-side-up eggs with corned beef hash. Maybe I’ll hit a diner this weekend for a treat.

You Californians! Don’t you know floppy pizza is suppose to be rolled up and eaten from the end like a burrito?

I have no egg cups, but I do have one of those gadgets that cuts the top off the egg, just in case I ever do get egg cups and want to eat soft-boiled eggs with them. (Yick. Don’t like soft-boiled eggs.) So I am half-prepared, at least.

I also eat my pizza with a knife and fork, despite my American-ness.

A knife?

Huuu…no. In a small bowl, the egg won’t be stable, so you won’t be able to dip in the yolk the thin slices of buttered bread that you’ve prepared and eat your soft-boiled eggs as God intended.

For the “four minutes standing” part, do you mean the eggs should still be in the hot water than you just took off the fire, or do you remove the eggs from the water and let them sit on the counter?

Dipping the bread in the yolks is weird. Just tear the toast apart and mash everything together as the true God intended. Or, instead of buttered toast, use club crackers. That’s tasty, too.

Either way, you need to mend your filthy heathen ways.

Egg cups are the reason the sun has set on the British Empire. Soft-boiled eggs are Evil. Pure and simple. And I’m not the only person who thinks so.

I just tried this, but I couldn’t get the eggs to stand, because they are round. :frowning:

:eek:

Shakes. Twitches. Scratches Berlin off of “places to visit” list. Consults exorcist just in case.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone do that, either in California or in Maryland where I grew up. Don’t you get sauce and burning hot cheese all over your hands when you do that?

What’s your point? :wink:

No, this is fancier. It’s like scissors, only set in a round ring that fits over the top of the egg. When you ‘snip’ the scissors, all these little teeth cut into the egg and make a perfect entrance. Here’s one.

Mom’s guide to soft-boiled eggs:

Rip white bread into bite-sized pieces and place in Corelle cereal/soup bowl. Crack egg with knife, pull open, use spoon to scoop egg out of shell halves onto bread. Serve.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen egg cups at World Market/CostPlus, too, Shirley. I like my boiled eggs with the yolks just barely cooked (not runny), but can’t imagine eating them from anything but an egg cup.

yingtongtiddleipo, soldiers are the long slices of toast other people described, right?

SoP, you let the eggs stand in the pan of hot water for the four minutes. Best egg-cooking directions I’ve come across are in The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook. It covers egg cooking for just about every style you can think of. It’s a great book even if you’re not a vegetarian.

GT

When was the last time you saw soft-boiled eggs on a menu? I always have to settle for poached.

I know you can get them at “gourmet” kitchen stores, in ceramic or stainless steel. I have one made from a steel coil. Now try looking for an egg cozy. People give you strange looks when you ask for them. ;j

I think we have found the most useless kitchen gadget.

My mom has egg cups, but I can’t remember ever using them for anything but windowsill decorations. I don’t think I’ve ever had a soft boiled egg. Unless it’s something like a coddled egg? My mom also has egg coddlers on the windowsill next to the egg cups, and when I was little she’d sometimes make me a coddled egg for breakfast.