Why can I smell coffee in my urine?

I drink really strong black coffee, and the aroma goes right through me. So this is a real phenomenon, and you’re not a freak, you’re normal.

I’ll tell you another food aroma that makes for fragrant urine: Basmati rice. I eat basmati rice for lunch and dinner every day, and I can smell its characteristic fragrance the next morning.

In the novel The House of Doctor Dee by Peter Ackroyd, the Elizabethan alchemist Dr. John Dee urinates the morning after a party when he’d been drinking spiced wine. He smells cinnamon and muses how his urine could be collected and alchemically refined to retrieve the cinnamon.

Having your urine smell like coffee doesn’t seem like anything you should worry about, but I would start to be concerned if your coffee smells like urine. :smiley:

Sometimes I swear my urine smells like popcorn, or maybe rice cakes, even though I no longer eat either.

And for the record, I do get very strong asparagus pee, even after eating only 1-2 spears.

Sugar Puffs (which I assume are of the same ilk as Sugar Smacks, whatever they are…) are the main culprit for scented whiz, for me.

Yeah, be thankful your coffee does not smell like urine. That is a more serious problem.