Why censor yourself?

I’ve noticed that some posters tend to censor their swear words, typing words like “fck" and "sht”. Why bother? If you’ve typed that much, everyone knows what word it is, so why take the extra trouble to include an asterisk?

Of course I don’t fit in; I’m part of a better puzzle.

They do it because I send 'em a quarter every time they DON’T use the full word. (It saves my mother from the shivering fits.)

“There will always be somebody who’s never read a book who’ll know twice what you know.” - D.Duchovny

Beats the shit out of me. Reminds me of the time my mother, a good catholic, first used the word ‘fuck’. Really ticked off about something she screwed up your face and biting her lower lip she starting out with “fu-fu-fu-fu-fu-fu”. We stepped back and watched in awe as the final phoneme seemed trapped beneath years of her beliefs of propriety.

After she let it out, a visible change occurred. Her face lightened up, her posture got a little cocky, she laughed like an Edward G Robinson. She said, “That’s right, I said ‘fuck’, see. I said it”. She was beaming with a new freedom.

She was never the same. She quickly mastered a drunken sailor’s vocabulary and became quick at giving the bird.

Perhaps some people shouldn’t cross the line.

Sounds to me like it’s a good thing that some people do! :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge

Work like you don’t need the money…
Love like you’ve never been hurt…
Dance like nobody’s watching! …(Paraphrased)

Well you better goda#$ believe I f!@#ing censor myself, but only in the company of strangers, children etc.

Get this. I’m an avid AOL user, ok? Now, you can swear all you want in e-mails AND IM’s, although the receipient is allowed to turn you in for TOS violations. Ok, got that.
In airports, there are these VERY cool kiosks that will let you get online, for the price of a credit card swipe.( Kinda like getting to LaGuardia, only to find that the nice airport people have taken to setting out fresh and sterile sets of works, and spoons already full of heroin, for the traveller with time to kill…).
I sign on, and lo and behold- the Kiosk CENSORS my IM’s !!! I laughed SO hard. I can only assume that it is because anyone could stand over my shoulder and read as I type some unspeakably foul and obscene concepts. Too funny. Might be AOL, might be the kiosk provider. At any rate, a new one for me…

Typer

I don’t swear that much anyway but I guess if I do type in the extra letters (&%*#, etc), I guess I want to fool myself that I’m maintaining some semblance of verbal control. Of course, I am thinking it! :wink:

This thread is a ball of 5#1+