Why did I put my hand under that tarp?

That’s exactly what it looked like sans the white background, and worse. I swear it stretched out 10feet and was probably poisonous. Venom so toxic it would kill a large cow. In minutes.

ah, my imagination is still there, thank you very much!

I’m usually not bothered by spiders. But,
I’ve never seen a spider birthing babies before. :thinking:

Bugs are always waiting for us in crawl spaces. I never liked crawling under houses to work on something. There’s not much you can do when Mr spider says Hi! There’s not enough room for any fast movements.

Far better Mr. Spider than Mr. Rattlesnake. Don’t ask how I know.

Everybody’s friend, Mr. Stephen King, mentioned in a story once how spiders kill people in cars while driving. Yer puttering along and all of a sudden here comes Eight-legs dangling from your visor, in front of your face. How’s it going? he cheerily exclaims, as you–in stark terror–head over the embankment to your doom. Later, when the CSI is taking forensics, Mr. Spider brushes himself off, thinks How rude! and exits the car without making a statement to the authorities. The case remains open.

Burpo! Stop it.
I’ve had spider-in-car incidents.
Yeah, no …I don’t wanna do THAT ever again.

Ya know Becks it could have been much worse. Look up the Brazilian Wandering Spider. After you see that a mere bebe wolf spider will seem much less of a problem.

You’re overreacting. All you need to do is spray them with insecticide and walk away. When it’s safe, go back and burn the place down. THEN you move.

It’s a tarp!

No, not a tarp. It was under the tarp on my piece of wire.

Nice @Napier.

Like your thinking

I was in Tennessee one time and saw this big, hairy looking spider coming toward me. I promptly squashed it, and the ‘hair’ turned out to be a million little babies. I had to damn near tap dance like Mr. Bojangles to squash the whole lot. Most horrific thing I’ve ever seen, damn near.

Sorry, Spider-lovers. That’s how I roll.

I’d like to see a tap dancing Catfish.:astonished:

Speaking of birthing babies, I was watching a shark week show about ‘Ragged tooth sharks’ (never heard of THEM before)
Anywhoo, when they get fertilized(I’m not explaining that, Google it) the Mama Shark has 2 dz or so eggs in 2 uteri(uterus’es??) And they all germinate. The first thing they get are teeth and an appetite. And they canabilize each other til there’s only one shark pup in 2 uteri. The bigger more viable pup immediately eats his weaker sibling after birth.
They are born 3ft long and hungry, with gnashing ragged teeth.
Mama shark immediately abandons them to their own devices. Who can blame her? It killed all her other babies and was probably biting on the way out. Sheesh!
Nature is brutal.
They actually showed the shark pup inutero.
Now just tell me how they got those pictures?
I cannot imagine Mama shark showed up for her ultrasound appointment willingly.

I haven’t seen Lynne42* around here for a long time, but I’m sure she’d put in a good word for the spider and her babies.

*Former arachnophobe and author of Spiders: Learning to Love Them

OMG, how did Stephen King get in my pickup truck? Years ago, I was pulling into a grocery store parking lot with my baby in his car seat when there dangling from the rearview mirror was a Black Widow spider. Yes, I’m positive it was a Black Widow, as we’d had some in the garage, but landlord said he got them all. There was the red hourglass and everything. I pulled into a parking space, but by then Mr. Spider had lowered himself to…I didn’t know where. I snatched up my baby and did a thorough search, but for naught. It was a long drive home, what with me glancing at the road, watching my baby, glancing at the road…

@nelliebly, did you ever see cars and trucks abandoned on the side of the road? Now you know the rest of the story.

Stephen King is everywhere; Oooooooooooooooo. :crazy_face:

I am truly sorry I reminded you of that incident; there is nothing funny about the Black Widow.

I think the Black Widow would disagree. I’m sure it was snickering as it crawled into the nether reaches of the cab of the truck. Crap, that was scary, but I didn’t run the truck into an abutment, and the baby boy is now a strapping adult who’s not arachnophobic. :slight_smile:

See this cartoon on spiders working from home during the coronavirus, and being interrupted by baby spiders:

When I was a little kid (~6 yo) we once had the whole family in the pre-seatbelts car. Parents had stopped earlier at a roadside farmer’s stand and bought a paper bag full of fresh-picked grapes. Yum! Dad was driving of course while Mom & Dad were taking turns reaching into the bag and grabbing a couple grapes to munch. And … (time for the commercial break while suspense builds … :wink: )

Dad pulls his hand out of the bag and notices a Black Widow walking across the back of his hand. He’s a pretty stone cold dude so he quickly mashes it with his other hand; spider goop all over both hands. Just as we arrive at a curve in the road. We stayed on the shoulderless, guardrail-less early 1960s country road, but it was close.

In addition to being lucky not to have crashed the car, it was a good thing one or both (!) parents hadn’t been bitten rummaging around in the bag; we were a long ways out in the country.