[QUOTE=Little Nemo]
I suppose it is pointless to discuss the meaning behind it all if you believe in the “Jesus was real but wasn’t God” school. This belief is basically saying that the events occurred randomly and any higher meaning was invented after the fact.
But otherwise I don’t see a need to believe in God in order to discuss His motives. I’ve read debates on what Dracula’s motives were for traveling to England and whether Hawkeye was secretly working for the British. You can accept God as either a real entity or a fictional character and still discuss why He did what He did.
[/QUOTE]
Continuing the “Jesus was real but wasn’t God” idea, there are other questions that could be raised: Why do we still know the name Jesus? Why do billions of people in the world consider him to have been some sort of prophet or even divine? To my way of thinking, he was just another wandering Jew, preaching the love of the Hebrew God. So I suppose Paul and some other followers, and then successive generations of followers down to the time of Constantine, somehow managed to perpetuate the myth surrounding him until the time of the Catholic Empire, which then used Christianity as a means of control, and we’re still living with that legacy to this day. (Part of the problem there is peoples’ unwillingness to throw off the beliefs of their ancestors.)
I still find it perplexing that belief in the God of the Hebrews spread from that one small group of people in the Middle East to then encompass the globe in the forms of Christianity and Islam. It’s still more amazing that belief in the same god led to so much killing between the various groups.