Why didn't these posts in the Pit warrant any mod notice at all?

You might want to take a second look at that.

Actually, given Ed put down his foot and dictated these rules and we’re stuck with them, I’m pretty happy about the way the rules are “enforced”

It seems pretty clear to me Gfactor and Miller realize as well as everyone else that Ed’s retarded “rules” for the Pit are, in fact, retarded.

As such, the mods seem to follow them to the letter and only to the letter. They only mod-note violations unless the rule is flagrantly violated* and they won’t expand the list by even a smidgen. I suspect (and I don’t feel a need to test it) that a heartfelt “Fuck thee” (or “thou”…I can never remember which is correct) might slip by. The words on the list are the words on the list. Forever and ever, amen.

This is just my guess based on what I’ve seen, but if it’s correct, my admiration for Miller and Gfactor is even greater–they’re enforcing utterly idiotic rules without making the situation even worse. So…kudos to them.

And the OP can go fling himself in a quarry.

*IIRC someone got warned or banned for posting the word cunt like 30 times in a row

Fuckin’ A.

(to be taken as a compliment)

Well, then explain to me why you need to defend Ann Romney from such a vile slur but Lauryn Hill and Tom Cruise are not given that benefit of the doubt. People have been throwing cunt around in the forums with abandon, just not at each other.

So I can tell you to ride a dildo?

Just curious.

Why does every thread have to wind up discussing gay marriage?

Regards,
Shodan

That’s what the rule requires: you can say it, but not about other posters. That’s the same rule that applies to insults in general, although the mods do have the ability to moderate other posts even if they don’t outright break the rules. I thought BobLibDem’s comment was inappropriate in a political discussion (although I told him explicity that he could say that kind of thing about Ann Romney in the Pit if he wanted to). I didn’t moderate a celebrity gossip thread the same way, although I am not sure the Tom Cruise comment was reported in any case. The comment about Lauryn Hill was nasty but I wound up leaving it alone because of the non-poster issue.

Believe I said WHATever not WHOever, gay robots are ok.

This post is a load.

But haven’t we been over this issue a dozen times before?

What you might think is “inappropriate” is not the same as what the rule actually is. As such, you shouldn’t be moderating stuff that doesn’t break the rule but that just happens to fall outside of your own personal comfort zone or idea of what is appropriate for a given conversation.

Go marry a cactus.

Pretty much this in a nutshell. There’s a very short list a specific words a phrases that Ed doesn’t want to see used in the Pit. Words and phrases that aren’t specifically listed, are acceptable. Synonyms to those words are also acceptable.

How do you explain the word “variants” being used then, when Ed only listed one possible variant, or even no list of variants?

I notice that there is only one variant listed for “cunt” (“cuntlapper”), yet he specifically proscribes “variants”, plural.

There are no listed variants for “suck/lick my dick/cock”, so are you saying that only the 4 possible permutations listed are forbidden? Doesn’t that deliberately obviate the part of the rule that says “and variants”? I mean if your stance is that any variant not listed is not forbidden, then why did Ed bother to say “and variants”?

Or is just your stance that you (the Mods) are not going to follow the rules that Ed has laid down?

That all seems to fly in the face of both the plurality of the word “variants” as well as this rule:

[

](Revised Forum Rules for the BBQ Pit: read this before posting - The BBQ Pit - Straight Dope Message Board)

If the plural of “variants” is a fiction, if the need to be reasonably civil is so much a fiction that “go fornicate yourself with a cactus” is not the same as “go fuck yourself with a cactus”, then what does the rule actually proscribe?

I don’t know how the mods don’t just blow their fucking brains out. Between trying to uphold rules of Ed’s that they know in their hearts are fruit-loops bananas and enduring the soul sucking pedantry of posters with a whine glass that is never empty, I don’t know how they just don’t eat a bullet.

I’m also curious, but do have a possible (non-mod) explanation. The forbidden “variant” given by Mr. Zotti is not simply “fuck off” but rather “fuck off and die”, which would also be taboo under the “don’t wish death clause”.

Is “fuck off” by itself a forbidden variant of “fuck you”? Only if precedent, or someone in authority, says it is.

Personally I believe that mods shouldn’t step that close to the line.

Forgot this part:

The abbreviation “e.g.” stands for the Latin phrase “exempli gratia” which in English means “for example”.

Yet the argument that the Mods are making seems to be that they have re-interpreted the phrase so that it now means “but nothing more”:

Why offer examples if in fact he meant “only these”?

Feel free to quote me where I complained about being insulted, and not solely about the use of language.

Observant posters will notice that in the OP I didn’t even mention who the posts were directed at. I didn’t mention it because it really isn’t relevant to the issue of the language that was used.

I respectfully disagree: we’ve always used our discretion in telling people when to dial it back a little bit even if they are not breaking a rule. We’re allowed to moderate posts which are borderline for one reason or another. Profanity is allowed in every forum, for example, but outside of the Pit we’ve always used our discretion in telling people to use a little bit of restraint.

What difference does that make? You linked to the posts and the bit where you talked about being insulted in ATMB made it pretty obvious. Anyone who read the thread would have known, too. Ed Zotti does say ‘fuck you and variants,’ but as far as I can tell, the mods haven’t treated “go fuck [anything except yourself]” as a violation of that rule. Colibri’s use was not different in that regard.

Work the shaft, and don’t neglect the variants.