Why do Bees Speak Spanish?

1. The Spanish-speaking bee guy from The Simpsons
  2. The spokesbee for Nasonex who speaks English with a very suave Spanish accent.
  3. Some old SNL skit that was making fun of Spanish variety shows, and a guy came out in a bee suit.

You know what they say–if something happens twice, it’s a coincidence. If it happens three times, it’s an international conspiracy. Or a pattern. Or something. Really, I just want to know what the connection is between bees and Spanish. Anybody know?

Gracias in advance.

In Mexico there was a comedian who was famous for wearing a bee suit. Someone will be along with more on this in a bit.

It was the other way around. The old SNL skit was Killer Bees that had come north from Mexico and thus were made out to be Mexican Banditos. I believe that this very popular skit, cemented the concept of Spanish speaking Bees in the American mind.

The Simpson Bee was inspired by a Spanish TV variety show.

Jim

I was under the impression that the Nasonex spokesbee affected a French accent, no doubt taught to him by Pepe LePew, as their affectation of accent seems very similar.

Nah, I’m not talking about the killer bees thing. This SNL skit was much more recent. Maya Rudolph was the host of the show, and Horatio Sanz was in there, somewhere.
The Chespirito connection makes perfect sense, though!

Sorry, I either do not remember the recent one or put it out of my memory.

Jim

Nah, it’s just Antonio Banderas sounding like…cheesy Antonio Banderas.

That’s funny. In my OP, I was going to say that the Nasonex bee was “trying to sound like Antonio Banderas,” but I changed it because I thought that might seem like I was just using a stereotype. Little did I know…

Yeah, but by the time of the later skit, the mexican bee association had already been created, in large part by the earlier killer bee skits.

I knew that was Antonio Banderas! I just didn’t want to believe it.

it is probably just because "Las más avanzadas eusociales, son las que viven en grandes colonias. Los apicultores denominan colmenas al habitáculo diseñado para lograr racionalidad en su explotación conjuntamente con las abejas.

Las abejas melíferas pueden ser clasificadas en dos grandes grupos las abejas melíferas con aguijón del género Apis y las abejas melíferas sin aguijón que también son melíferas comúnmente denominadas melipónidos o meliponas.

Las abejas eusociales son insectos sociales con tres diferentes tipos de individuos o castas en la colonia: reinas, zánganos y obreras. Cada casta tiene su función especial y desarrollan un tipo de trabajo diferenciado en la colonia. La reina y las obreras son hembras y los zánganos son machos. Cada casta tiene un tiempo o ciclo de desarrollo diferente propio para cada especie y se cría en distintos tipos de celdas. El periodo de desarrollo de la abeja reina en el caso de Apis mellifera es de 16 días, las obreras 21 días y los zánganos 23 días. Las abejas comen miel especial para convertirse en reina.
Cuando un apicultor se refiere a sus colmenas en forma colectiva lo hace desde un concepto intuitivo de colectividad, al hablar de los componentes de un apiario, habla lógicamente del conocimiento de la biología de las abejas, cuya naturaleza social hace que el individuo, en sí mismo, carezca de valor en favor de la colectividad de las abejas. Por todo ello se dice que la colmena es un superorganismo. Este superorganismo se comporta con sinergia que es el efecto producido por la interacción entre los componentes de un sistema que hace que el todo sea más que la suma de las partes individuales. A esta sinergía de conjunto demostrada por Farrar matemáticamente hace muchos años, la denominaremos Regla de Farrar."

or something like that.

But Antonio’s accent is Spanish, not Mexican!

Sapo–Please provide us with a translation. I’d like to know what you said.

Also, I notice that you’re new here. We have a guideline about posting in English that you may not have noticed. Thanks.

I maintain that most of his best roles are when he’s making fun of himself, ala Shrek 2.

It’s taken from the Spanish version of Wikipedia, here. I’m not going to attempt to translate it because of its length, but it just describes classification and social structure of the bee family Apidae and the care of honeybees by beekeepers.

“El Chapulín Colorado” looks hilarious. Can anyone confirm?

That would be a Mexican TV show.

I meant Spanish, as in Spanish speaking as in the Title of the thread.

I wouldn’t call El Chapulin Colorado a “variety show,” but a slapstick comedy. Both it and Chespirito’s other classic show, El Chavo del Ocho are shown constantly on TV here in Panama.

Yeah…no more of that binary text in here, amigo.