Why do dogs circle? This one is the correct answer..

They circle because it is instinct that in tall grass to do so is important as they are looking not to get bit by snakes. Thats right…snakes.

You’re free to believe anything you want, no extra charge.

But the real true actual reason is that they circle around EXACTLY nine yards, so that’s the origin of the expression “the whole nine yards.”

No, wait, I lie, the really real true actual correct reason is that their right front foot is shorter than their left front foot, and so they sort of walk in circles, thinking they’re going downhill.

Come on! We all know the next best thing to actual sex for a dog is smelling another dog’s butt. When a dog circles like that he is trying to smell his own butt. Kinda like doggy masterbation!

Hmmm… butt flavored dog food. Has possibilites.

“[He] beat his fist down upon the table and hurt his hand and became so
further enraged… that he beat his fist down upon the table even harder and
hurt his hand some more.” – Joseph Heller’s Catch-22

A common fallacy, Grog, or more accurately a half truth. Turning in a circle only immobilizes nearby snakes if done at midnight in conjunction with a full moon while swinging a dead chicken over your head and chanting “Do your work, oh Magic Chick, and turn each snake into a stick”. This conjure-du-jour brought to you by your local voo-doo doctor.

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

pardon my naivete, but aren’t dogs – and cats for that matter – circling to make a comfortable depression in which to lie (wait! that sentence seems to describe my last failed relationship…)

At any rate, this behavior seems to make sense for sled dogs sleeping in the snow, or any animal sleeping in tall grass.

Or have I missed something?

This space intentionally left blank

A friend of a friend told me that wild dingoes in Australia circle in a counter-clockwise direction.

A friend of my aunt’s told her they do it because they think it’s funny.

Didn’t you, as a kid, spin around to get dizzy? It’s a natural high that dogs enjoy, too. Likewise, there are certain things that
I enjoy doggie-style myself.

I don’t know about this sleeping business, but I know for a fact that dogs will circle near pay phones to warn passers-by about the HIV-laden hypodermic needles left inside the coin return slot.
Alphagene

This all looks like circular reasoning to me.

There is a bunch of dogs somewhere, logging on to this, pointing at the monitor and laughing their butts off, right now.

Mike King said: A friend of a friend told me that wild dingoes in Australia circle in a counter-clockwise direction.

What do dogs do on the equator?

Dogs don’t lie down on the equator because they don’t know which way to rotate. They have to move a few feet either north or south to lie down.

I hate to stop the discussion about all this clockwise-counterclockwise Coriolis crap, but Bad Science has an article revealing how the Coriolis force is often misused in explaining certain phenomena.

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

Don’t dogs circle so they can beg a question?

On the Internet, nobody knows which way you circle.

Krish says: << I hate to stop the discussion about all this clockwise-counterclockwise Coriolis crap … >>

Um, Krish? With due respect: whoooooosh. You might checking the online dictionary under joke or humour (American: humor)

One of the conditions of a joke, CK, is that it has to be funny!

RE The coriolis effect on dogs…

I, for one, thought it was a rather clever and funny interjection. Gave me a giggle! :slight_smile: