Why do pekinese (sp?) dog's eyes keep falling off their sockets?

I’m not sure about the brand of the dog. They’re fluffy, like Benji, and sometimes their eyes just fall out of their sockets, and had to be replaced by weird glass eyes. Why is that? I see dogs like that almost everyday in the park.

Brachycephalic dogs have eye problems a lot. It’s our fault. We bred them that way.
Michi

I’d like to add, I haven’t seen that many with fake eyes, though. Sometimes if the eye pops out it can be put back in. If it can’t, most owners simply choose to have the eye removed and the socket sewn up. I think I have only seen 2 or 3 with fake eyes put in.

And that’s without even going into the respiratory problems they develop. Cats with the same type of face (some Persians, some Himalayans) have some of the same problems. It’s sad how we twist and warp these animals to fit some strange concept of aesthetics and ruin a lot of dogs’ and cats’ lives.

I’ve heard that animals that are too pure bred have the most problems-like Manx cats-the tailless ones. If they’re too purebred, often, the spinal cord doesn’t fully develop and it’s either a stillborn or they die shortly after birth.

And if memory serves, cats and dogs really don’t have eye sockets as such–only the higher primates do. Carnivorous mammals have only a sort of half-socket, with the eye being held in place by muscles. So it’s easy to understand the harm that boutique breeding can do.

Threr was a thread a while back about what if dogs were allowed to go back into whe wild. Would they survive? Obviously those mentioned above wouldn’t.

justwannano, I don’t think most dogs would survive for more than a day out in the wild. We’ve carefully bred out of the species those characteristics which would help them survive.

Through our desire to get certain characteristics from our dogs, we’ve basically mutated the species. Some dogs breeds have difficulty breathing because we’ve bred them to have their noses recessed into their faces. Others have pop-eyes, which, somewhere along the line, we decided was “cute” and encouraged the trait through selective breeding. Never mind the cost to the dog’s general health. Others have hip and bone problems due to over-inbreeding. Some dogs are constantly cold due to our desire to have them appear almost bald. Personally, I would never have a pure-bred dog. I’d rather have a mutt who has some fresh blood in their gene pool. Mutts are healthier overall, because they’re not a succeptible to genetic problems, and diseases.

Some breeds would, some breeds wouldn’t. The larger breeds are generally (though not all) still self-sufficient enough that they could do all right if they didn’t have to compete with any other large predators. An obvious exception to that is the Irish Setter, which generally can’t tell the difference between a busy street and a hole in the ground.

Depending on circumstances, some of the smaller dogs (especially the terriers and hounds, which haven’t been completely pet-ized yet) could also survive, again given the absence of any large predators like wolves and pumas.

If we’re talking chihuahuas and oddballs like Chinese cresteds, or fluffballs like shi-tzus and lhasa apsos, fuggedaboudit. They’re catfood. Domestic cat at that.

… and all this time I’ve been telling kids it’s from chasing parked cars. Go figure.

The “mutts are healthier” statement is an urban legend. A responsible breeder will not breed unhealthy dogs or those with a genetic predisposition for certain diseases. Most responsible breeders will use a battery of health and genetic tests before breeding a dog, and perform those same tests on the puppies as well. Unfortunately, responsible breeders are in the minority, and you typically have to pay through the roof to get one of their dogs. There is a large demand for the toy breeds (especially among the elderly), so backyard breeders and puppy mills will often breed any bitch that’s fertile. Quantity, not quality.

There are certain temprements associated with certain breeds; with mixes, it’s harder to predict the exact temprement of a dog. Would a Chow Chow-Labrador Retriever mix take on the loving qualities of the Lab, or the aggressive protective qualities of the Chow?

BTW, I don’t think the non-shedding water dog breeds (Poodle, Portuguese Water Dog, Bicon Frise, Lagotta Romangalo, etc) would survive in the wild. Such breeds have hair, not fur – the hair would just grow forever, becoming a magnet for stickers and a haven for disease-bearing ticks and fleas. Also, such dogs tend to secrete more “eye goop” than other breeds. Without daily cleaning of eye boogers and glop, their eyes could possibly get sealed shut.

Oh my gah! Memo to self: Never get a dog if there is even a remote possibility that the eyes of said dog will one day just spontaneously roll right out of its head.

Phew, I can go back to agreeing with Jodi. I thought I would open this thread and find a lot of people saying, “Oh, that’s just an urban legend - here’s a snopes link.” There are dogs whose eyes just spontaneously fall out of their heads?! Wouldn’t that be a lovely thing to step in on the sidewalk! :eek:

They’re still attached, silly. You just pop 'em back in! After you clean the dust and dirt off, of course…

A responsible breeder can weed out certain things. For example, not allowing dogs with hip problems to breed. But certain breeds will ALWAYS be predisposed to certain diseases, no matter how good the breeding. Brachycephalic dogs will always have more of a risk for eye, skin, and respiratory problems because that is how they are built.

I grew up with a Shih-Tzu who had an eyeball pop out. We were on vacation and he was staying at his vet’s office. It happened over the weekend, and when they came back he eyeball was apparently dangling by the optic nerve.

Ewww!

Anyhow, they cleaned it off, stuck it back in, sewed his eyelid shut and didn’t bother to interrupt our vacation with the story. The vet theorized that he had barked his eye out, which was pretty much in keeping with his temperment at the time.

Can’t remember how long he had his eyelid sewn shut, but he came out of the ordeal with a slight cataract. He’s now 14 years old (this happened almost 10 years ago now) and he’s pretty much blind in that eye now.

Oh…I do agree with this statement. I have an eleven year old Border Collie/lab mix and the good news is that he has healthy hips. However, I have spent thousands of dollars on his other problems, most recently a back problem that the vet diagnosed as nerve damage.

I don’t think I would ever buy a purebred dog, there are just too many mutts that are looking for a good home. No offense meant to people who own purebreds, I just prefer the mutts.

Okay, so let’s say you put your dog’s eye back in … sideways. Would this cause the dog to perceive the world sideways through that eye, or is their some kind of horizon-correcting system in the dog’s brain? This is a serious question, believe it or not. Which surprises me, because this thread is just so terrifying I could barely click on it, much less read it all.

Hmmm…dunno-but we have a Westie and she’s a pretty good, lovable, if demanding dog (wants attention all the time, and likes to trick people into taking her out if she doesn’t want to go). Although she DOES have an extremely sensitive stomach. And sensitive skin.

My gramma also had a Yorkie-the dog was so tiny that as a puppy she would literally fit into a coffee cup. That dog was TOUGH! She used to catch mice-and killed quite a few rats.

This is scaring hell out of me. If I had a dog and this ever happened to mine…:frowning:
Uniball, is it just me or do you seem to be fixated upon animals in pain? You did make a thread about hamsters drinking their own urine, exploding birds, burning ants…is there a reason for this?