Why do people shower/bathe so frequently when deodorant exists?

I strongly disagree. Even bathing every day will not eliminate armpit odor if you’re not using an antiperspirant. I’ve worked with multiple people, transplanted to the US from other countries, who reeked of armpit sweat on a hot day even though they showered daily. And this was in an air conditioned office - they sweated enough on the commute to work to smell pretty bad

ETA - most sweat doesn’t smell bad to me. It’s ARMPIT sweat that stinks!

Because Madison Avenue convinced people that if you don’t shower every day, you’d stink so terribly that people will avoid it.

It’s untrue, but it sells a lot of soap.

(Also, what people think is body odor is really the odor of their clothing. Wear clean clothes every day and it will do a lot to prevent bad odors.)

QFT. I’ve seen a lot of skin conditions that resolve when people bathe less often.

For the average person, it is NOT medically necessary to bathe/shower daily.

There certainly may be other factors that make it desirable to do so.

Because you need to wash your ass, and as far as I know, no one sells ass deodorant. Wash your ass!

Get a bidet. The most civilized plumbing fixture evar!

1. I’m not usually in so much of a hurry. I have 5 to 10 minutes to spend on showering almost anytime I want. Many days I can squeeze two showers in without missing any important meetings or my favorite tv shows.

2. I have plenty of water. If I lived somewhere where it was an issue, I’m sure I could adjust to 3 minutes showers and be able to live with myself.

3. My skin is fine. It keeps my insides in. If someone has a skin problem, then maybe they could experiment with less frequent showing and see if it helps.

From what I’ve read around here, many people really enjoy the experience of showing. Hot steamy water feels good to most people, or so I’ve heard. So, yes, we shower and bathe to get clean, but it’s also a ritual that some of us simply enjoy for other reasons as well. It’s not a chore (like brushing my teeth), it’s a nice couple of minutes to cleanse and relax. Plus, my wife prefers getting and receiving oral sex in the immediate post-shower period, so I’m going to shower as often as I can.

Apocrine sweat glands. Sweat secreted by these glands (located in selected portions of the skin, such as the axillae) contains fat molecules which feed bacterial populations on the skin, which is the source of the smell. Sweat itself (both apocrine and eccrine) is normally odorless, and eccrine perspiration (sweat over the greater portion of the skin in humans) doesn’t contain anything to feed bacteria – just water and minerals and salts. But pit sweat feeds bacteria, ending up with body odor. I would also suspect that the oils lubricate and soften the coarse hair that grows there.

I believe it’s called Axe.

In addition to getting clean, I’m an author and get some of my best ideas in the shower.

Because the bathroom/shower is the only place where my singing voice is…tolerable.

Great for washing feet, hair and the occasional baby in too.

Yes, because anyone who hasn’t been here at least ten years has absolutely nothing to contribute to any conversation on this board because we are so much better than them and how dare they sully our board.

I agree 100%.

I was thinking of times when I have not showered daily. Not many at all. Even when I’ve gone camping, I’ve dipped in whatever body of water was near (freezing cold or not) with a washcloth and de-funked.

Whore bath every day, plus a smear of antiperspirant in the armpits will keep you smelling civilized.

What was it George Carlin used to say: Armpits, asshole, crotch and teeth!

The human body has about1.5-2.0 square meters of skin. You put deodorant on two spots approximately 5x10 square centimeters of it.

Like when smokers spritz on cologne afterwards. Then they smell like cigarettes AND cologne.

Now that I am retired and not having sex everyday I started skipping days and showerig about everyother day. If I skip the second day I don’t like myself. I am fortunate not to sweat but the crotch seems to have a mnd of its own.

The question as phrased is a bit odd, but “how often should one bathe” is a perfectly legitimate question - and the answer, for most people, is not “daily”.

IANAD, but dermatological studies show that daily showering is bad for one’s skin. The problem gets worse as we age because of changes that make the skin more dry and fragile. In fact, my mom is in her mid-70’s and her dermatologist specifically told her to quit showering/bathing daily. I have not noticed an increase in body odor when I am around her. The general recommendation from these studies is to shower 3-4 times per week. There are exceptions, as the linked article indicates, for people who spend time in very crowded areas, exercise daily or are around sick people.

Good hygiene is very important and no study that I have seen recommends not bathing. Some cultures under bathe, for sure, but many western cultures over bathe. As one dermatologist said “Showering right is much more effective than showering often”.

Just where did you work? :confused:

Oh, Qadgop, my friend, I just laughed so hard some of my drink shot out of my nose. Then I thought about where you work and laughed some more. :smiley: Thank you.