Why do you have a bare mattress?

Count me in with the “sleeping is aerobic exercise that strips the sheet from the mattress” crowd. Even with straps.

So when this happens, do you have to make the bed to put the sheet back over the corner like DrCube, or can you just spend roughly 5 seconds to grab the sheet and pull it over the corner?

Get a set of bed sheet clips like these, if that is not enough get a set of sheet suspenders.

I have tried everything from clips to swapping mattresses (from standard to pillowtop) to using the goddamned staple gun. The sheet and mattress protector will be off the bed a couple of hours after my husband gets in the bed. From prior life experience, I know it’s him, not me. I suspect it’s because he’s a big guy and a restless sleeper. I’m not a barbarian, so I remake the bed, but I resent it. I sleep like a corpse - if it’s just me in the bed, remaking consists of smoothing the duvet and fluffing the pillows. Making the bed after Tony means 10 minutes of replacing all of the sheets, retrieving the odd pillow from beneath the side table, finding his phone and tablet wadded up in the quilt, etc. Maybe I should look into sheet suspenders.

Are you sure there isn’t a selection bias going on? You posted a link to a cat video. If I were posting a cat video, I’d most likely have filmed it during the day on a weekend, which happens to be the same time I’d likely have the sheets off the bed and in the wash. Right there, the odds are at least 5% that any random daylight weekend shot of my bed will have a bare mattress.

Furthermore, my cat likes novel situations and that includes a bare bed. If she does something weird, the odds are high that it’s because something is different in her environment. That includes sleeping in strange orientations on unusual surfaces.

I don’t think you can conclude that the rate at which you see bare beds in online videos has anything to do with the rate at which people sleep that way.

I think the rate of unmade beds is actually underrepresented in online videos and pictures. It seems to me that most people would make sure their bed was made before filming.

Typically what happens is you wake up in bed still pretty drunk with a hole in your memory you could drive a truck through. The person next to you, who you don’t recognize, is dead. No blood, no obvious signs of foul play. So, you wrap her up in the sheets and deal with it.

Until you get around to remaking the bed, it is sheet-less. We’ve all been there.

It’s easier for me to believe that the majority of these people you are seeing are just doing their laundry and you caught them in the in between time of having sheets on their bed.

The vid you linked to seems to be a perfect example of that.

This is so weird, like the time when all these people confessed they like sleeping with the sheets tucked in at the bottom of the bed, like in hotel rooms. I sleep pretty soundly but my SO tosses and turns a lot and he has almost never pulled the sheets off his side.

As others have said, though, my sheet tucks all the way over the edge of the bottom of the mattress. I wonder, too, if it helps that we have a queen size bed - the mattress is pretty heavy and thus no matter how much we move, it doesn’t really budge. Maybe you all have lighter beds so they move easier with your bodies?

I’ve seen what the OP is talking about and it’s often (as he mentions) sort of a subset of girls taking selfies* in rooms that look like a tornado just went through a hobo shanty town. It’s possible that they all suddenly decided to wash the sheets but left the carpeting of laundry on the floor and underwear hanging off the dresser but I sort of doubt it.

*Not necessarily NSWF types, just the amusing dissonance of the (usually a) girl primping and showing off how great she looks for the internet when the background is piles of garbage.

I’m pretty sure it’s not, since I see it a LOT, I’ve seen it in multiple shots from the same person (mostly in a ‘how bad are these selfies’ context), and if it was really just a 5% thing it wouldn’t even register to me. Also, it’s not uncommon for the sheetless bed to have junk piled on it and a bundled up single sheet or blanket, which tend to rule against the ‘they just happen to be washing the sheets’ possibility. And finally, in a lot of pics/videos the rest of the room does not give me the impression of someone who is frequently doing laundry and remaking the bed, but is more of the ‘did a hurricane go through there?’ or ‘did you just move?’ or ‘why do you store your clothes in plastic bags?’.

BTW, do you people really only have 1 sheet set? I’ve never had kept less than 2 sets for a bed so that I can just swap the sheets if I need clean sheets fast, and don’t have to worry about being able to sleep if I forget to put the washed set in the dryer before bed.

The perpetrators tend to be women, but there are also a ton of guys who do the same thing, ‘look at me flex for the camera in front of my mound of old socks and garbage, with a bare mattress on the floor and cardboard boxes instead of any kind of shelves or drawers or totes’. I just don’t buy that there’s some huge coincidence that people that messy just happen to be washing their sheets and will move the junk off the bed as soon as the dryer dings.

The ones that are clearly going for SFW but leave a sex toy or toys in the shot are pretty amusing too. I’ve also heard of women getting cock shots taken by a guy sitting on an unflushed toilet, which has nothing to do with mattresses but does make you shake your head.

Is it possibly a hipster thing? It was a beatnik think in the 50s to go all minimalist, and not need sheets or boxsprings for your mattress. Some of them didn[t even need mattresses at all, and slept on mats or cushions. Beatniks weren’t big on hygiene, so what sheets or blankets they did have didn’t get washed, and they didn’t give a flip about the cleanliness of their mattresses. They didn’t bathe much either. This bare mattress thing could be one more custom they’re copying without knowing the reason behind it. Beatnks were usually broke, so they couldn’t have afforded box springs, or sheets and washed them once a week at any rate, If they’d wanted to. Chance are they salvaged the mattress from some one else’s garbage.

In this particular case, it looks like a guest bedroom no one is using – waiting for the bed to be made when a guest comes. Of course now the mattress has cat hair on it for that poor guest. :dubious:

I guess none of you guys just uses a cheap sleeping bag instead of buying sheets?

My theory is that the type of social-media obsessed people who post these kinds of pics and videos are also the “child in an adult body” types who care more about the next kegger than if they sleep on a bare mattress.

Maybe ten years ago I went through a phase where I wanted to see how much discomfort I could endure. I kept my thermostat set at 50 and slept in a three (4?) season sleeping bag. It was fucking miserable.

I agree that it’s an odd phenomenon, if it is one. Even in my teenage shithole-apartment-secondhand-twin-mattress-with-no-box-spring-on-the-floor period, I was debonair enough to add some discolored threadbare sheets to the mix.

One of my cats will pee on furniture, including mattresses. Therefore our mattress is never bare, at the very least there’s a pee-proof mattress pad on it.

Wait - you leave a bare mattress in the guest bedroom, find a place to store comforter/sheets/etc for it, and only make it if someone is going to use it? I have never heard of anyone doing this before, everyone I know that has a guest bed leaves it made up, partially to save effort and partially to keep things like cats from messing up the mattress.

You can get new cheap sheets for less than $5, I’m not sure how you’re finding a sleeping bag that’s ‘cheap’ by comparison.