Why does Bugs Bunny wear gloves?

It’s my understanding that many of the cartoon characters have AIDS. I could be wrong about this, so don’t quote me.

No, some of them have AIDS. They all have Hepatitis C. Close though.

(oops, I quoted you)

Shigeru Miyamoto, who created the “Super Mario” character, says he gave Mario white gloves since it was hard to represent hand movement in early video games (Mario’s first appearance was in Donkey Kong in 1981). I wonder if the early animators decided to give their characters white gloves so their hand movements could be seen- Mickey Mouse is completely black, and one wonders if his hands would be as noticable in the early '20s and '30s cartoons if he didn’t wear gloves.

Force of rabbit.

It would be my guess for the same reason that mimes or vaudeville folks wear white gloves…much of their communication and expression is through gesture, and it provides a nice contrast for the viewer.

Notice the difference between Bugs (gloves, very detailed important gestures that define much of the comedy) and a modern Bart Simpson (gloveless, couldn’t care less what Bart’s hands are doing).

Oh. That’s different. The Pink Panther’s French.

You know how liberal those French are, what with fan dances and paintings and nudes and…and…and…stuff.

:smiley:

Cartooniverse

Oh, he wears clothes sometimes. Remember Drawn Together? Didn’t he have a pride shirt on?

:dubious:

Mario was always drawn with white gloves in the promotional art (as far as I know) but he didn’t have gloves that you could really see in any game until Super Mario World in 1991. For example, look at this image from Donkey Kong, in which Mario’s hand, which is the same color as his face, looks like a deformed square. The color limitations at the time may have made it impossible for Mario’s hands to be a different color from the red, blue, and flesh color that made up the rest of him.

His flesh-colored hands are easily seen, however, because of his long-sleeved shirt. It’s certainly possible, even probable, that they gave him a long-sleeved shirt for that reason.

The Pink Panther is not French. He is, however, a sociopath.

Miyamoto is quoted in a number of sources about drawing Mario the way he did due to limitations. In a 1991 Nintendo of America publication Mario Mania that “Mario wears overalls because that shows the movement of his arms, and he’s wearing white gloves because the white contrasts better with the colored backgrounds.” In David Sheff’s Game Over, Sheff says “it was important that characters’ arms moved, so [Miyamoto] drew stocky arms that swung back and forth.” Perhaps Miyamoto has forgotten that Mario hasn’t always worn gloves in games, or maybe he has always drawn the character with the gloves on (Miyamoto is also a talented cartoonist). You’re probably right regarding the shirt, since the reason Mario wears a hat is so his hair doesn’t have to be drawn (of course, with the advances in video games in 25 years, Mario can be and has been depicted hatless in some areas of games). Mario’s white gloves make this Japanese character look more like an American creation, among other things, and his look may be why he has been successful in both countries.

LEFT; shoulda taken that LEFT turn at Albuquerque.

Bugs Bunny is an obvious alias: The gloves are to obscure his fingerprints. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

He ought to–he’s going to get awful fiberglass splinters.

My recollection is that Capucine, the French actress, played The Pink Panther. The diamond was also called that but IIRC, it was the femme theif that earned the monicker, no?

I can’t find anything to support this on IMDb.

The Pink Panther is just the name of the gem.

Okay, confusion reigns here. In the movies, the Pink Panther is the gem. I was refering to the Friz Freleng cartoon character, myself.

I always thought that Bugs Bunny wore gloves to help identify him as a “civilized” creature, and not just a wild animal. He didn’t normally wear any other form of clothing, after all, whereas Porky Pig usually wore a shirt or something. IIRC, all of the major Disney characters wore some amount of clothing, but this seems to have fallen by the wayside at Warner Brothers, since several characters usually didn’t wear clothes (Daffy Duck, the Roadrunner, Wile E. Coyote, Taz)

So he’ll be more believable when dressing up as a lady. The ladies - they wear gloves. White ones.

IAAArtist,
The real reason: Started with early cartoons (Mickey Mouse, et al), It’s so that when his hands cross his body they won’t ‘disapear’.

That was Snagglepuss, not the Pink Panther.

I did not watch that show, I swear.