why does my fart stink like pig shit?

I was about 9 when my dad and I drove by a chicken barn. While I was gagging and pulling my shirt over my nose and other histrionics, my dad mentioned that chicken shit is useful for preventing chapped lips. Of course I asked “how?”

"Well, if you don’t have your Chap-Stik[sup]TM[/sup] with you, you just dab a little chicken shit on your lips. It smells awful, but you won’t lick your lips!:smiley:

I miss my dad.

And having cleaned both, I’m going to have to give pigs the edge. There’s an extra “sharpness” to their poop that is just evil and unnecessary.

It depends on how fermented it is - if you clean the pigpen regularly, its not too bad. If you leave it for a while, it gets worse. Chicken is bad right from the get-go.

That’s like asking how can you tell the scent of one flower from another.
Different animals, different diets, different smells.
I grew up on a farm.
I enjoy riding motorcycle through the country side. I can usually tell what animals have scented each breeze when I ride past farms. Some of them remind me of my youth.
But not sheep shit. That shit is the shits of shit.

I’ve been in a sheep barn and don’t recall it being particularly bad. I was even scritching one of the sheep’s heads and she belched near my face — even that wasn’t horrible. Yucky but not horrible. My money’s on pig shit, for king of the shit-smells.

OP, have you looked into your diet for clues?

My worst (best?) one was on a cold morning.
It presented just as I was parking my car at work. I got out of the car in a hurry and was glad to.
Then, on the way home from work… the heater brought it back to life. I drove home with windows open.
Now, every time I see someone driving in the cold with a window open, I know why.

For one, cut back to one meal a day at the trough.

And quit reading those messages in the spider web.

You must have some highly sensitive olfactory receptor neurons. To me all barnyard animals have the same eau de farm.

That explains this: http://www.smallflower.com/simone-chickenbone/chicken-poop-lip-junk-0.15oz-lip-balm-29522

Yep, sheep, goat, and rabbit shit are all pretty inoffensive. Rabbit urine stinks though. Horse and cow shit aren’t unpleasant at all. Pig shit is the worst. Chicken shit has urates which causes an ammonia(?) smell and even toxicity risk at high concentrations. People have died from chicken shit in the pit under a chicken house.

And when a pig receives an injection, it bleeds like a stuck pig.

Years ago, my brother in law kept chickens in Colorado. The bears got into their chicken fence and ate some chickens - so they moved the survivors TO THE BASEMENT until they could build a bear proof fence (this is the point where I would have had a lot of frozen chickens), but I digress…)

My mother, hearing this story looked aghast. She grew up in a farm and when the henhouse got too bad, they built a new henhouse, moved the chickens and burned the old one to the ground. Two years later, build a new henhouse on the ashes on the old, and repeat.

What message board have you been reading all these years?! :confused: :stuck_out_tongue: There are plenty of armchair doctors here that love to play the “Guess the ailment” game.

Of course, always with the advice that they aren’t a doctor and one should be consulted.

I raise pigs on pasture and their shit isn’t bad at all, maybe its the chlorophyll?

Chicken shit is the worst, no matter what they eat.

Piggies graze?

It isn’t close to the same. Herbivore shit from cows, horses and sheep shit doesn’t smell that bad fresh and isn’t offensive at all when the patties dry out. The worst thing about cows is that they fart like no tomorrow and that does smell but only if you are in the close vicinity. Farm kids regularly use them as throwing objects or even Frisbees. The problem with pigs is that they can and will eat anything so you can get some truly rank results depending on what they were fed. I had a family member that fed pigs leftover cheese and meat from a business. They loved it going in but it produced some of the nastiest shit you have ever been downwind of. That is basically like building a frat house without any working toilets. The results are going to be downright nasty.

To the OP, there is a step you can take to see why your shit smells unusually bad if you don’t think it is worth a doctor’s visit just yet. Eat a ton of high fiber foods for at least a few days. High fiber bran cereal is good as are lightly cooked green vegetables. Stay away from processed meats and some dairy products like cheese. You can also eat some yogurt in case your internal microbes need a boost. Get some exercise as well. If you do that, you should poop out a whole lot of stuff in one to three days and that gives your GI tract a chance to start afresh. I don’t think that is medical advice. It is just standard dietary advice when things of this nature go wrong and one of the first things a doctor or nurse will ask you about if you do need to see a GI doctor.

<<why does my fart stink like pig shit?>>

And how do you know that? :smiley:

And another question.

Why do you refer to your “fart” in the singular? Has there ever been only one? How do you care for it and keep it fresh? Because if you aren’t it certainly would have dissipated by now.

Ok, some mild advice. First- drink a large glass of water with that orange fiber stuff in it every nite.

Next, add some good probiotics to your diet.

Finally, check to see if you are lactose intolerant.

To marcin, it is almost certainly something you ate, either something with a lot of fat and/or a lot of fiber that your gut isn’t used to. But if it doesn’t clear up in within two days, you should go see your doctor about it.

I grew up in a rural North Carolina county that is noted for its rather high pig population. Most of these pigs reside on massive farms; the system these farms employ for dealing with “hog waste” (what a polite phrase!) involves lagoons. The whole operation becomes really, really rank during the summer. My family went out for dinner one night at a rather nice country restaurant near one of these farms – the stench outside was almost unbearable. Everyone was complaining rather loudly as we were walking in. An elderly customer on her way out of the restaurant heard us, and informed us “That’s the smell of money!”

Somehow, I refrained from asking “Money smells like shit?”