Why does my Yahoo Mail now suck?

I want a real answer not an IMHO.

Often times I’ll click on a folder & …nothing happens.

My browser’s back button always kicks me out of Yahoo Mail, no matter how far I’ve progressed into my emails.

New & improved Yahoo Mail just doesn’t work as well as it used to.

Why?

I can’t answer your question, but I agree there’s a problem. It used to work better than it does now. I would give up Yahoo Mail, except that I’ve had my email address for so very long.

Same here, I’ve been on Yahoo since 1998.

WTF is their problem?

:mad:

YM account holder since 1995 here. I just about stopped using Yahoo Mail completely. The last straw was when they eliminated “Yahoo Messenger on the Web” for a similar but lacking version within their Mail site.

Hate to join the club without helping, but I agree with all of you. It is way, way worse now.

And I thought I was doing something wrong! I feel better knowing it’s not me, it’s them. I’d still like to be able to reply to emails, though.

I was having a serious slow down in days past. But its better just today. IMHO (I heard you, and I’m sorry, but I don’t work for Yahoo, so I can’t give you a GQ rated answer with citations) it may just be a local problem.

I did notice once I switched to the “new” format the back button kicks me back to the login page. Fortunately, the forward button sends you right back. If you want to switch, you’ll have to click on the folder button. Too me forever to get used to it.

I a couplea years, they’ll probably change it again. And to think I went with Yahoo mail over others because it was the most annoyance free one at the time.

Man, don’t get me started! I experimented with Yahoo Messenger. I decided it wasn’t for me. NOW, it’s latched on to my email like that fucking chest burster in Alien.

Fuckity, fuck, fuck!

You get what you pay for.

I’m warning ya, don’t bring reason into this!

:slight_smile:

This is the biggest problem in my opinion, but there is a work-around. There are hyperlinks at the top of the page that let you navigate to previous pages. It’s a pain in the ass when your mouse naturally wants to click the browser’s back button, but it didn’t take me too long to get used to it.

It sucks for me too. Two things I really hate: it brings my inbox up blank a lot of the time and I can not find a way to turn Messenger off. I don’t use it, I don’t want it and every so often some spammer with a stupid name turns up and pretends to want to talk to me. Of course I block them so now I have a nice list that Yahoo stores for me.

I, OTOH, have indeed 80% given up on Yahoo Mail, using it only occasionally now for some specific purposes. I now deem it to be fubar indeed.

I can’t say specifically why (which is the OP’s question), but I can offer some generic observations: HTML, html-forms, browsers, everything, all have long-standing and well-developed standard ways of behaving. Things like what buttons and other controls look like, what happens when you click on something, rules about how focus moves from element to element, just about everything about how web pages look and act. This is mostly good because:
(a) Nearly all web pages have a similar look and feel, up to some point, and users get used to them and can learn how to use them, and they are predictable.
(b) The coding to implement all these things is built into browsers or into the O/S itself, and most apps use them, so they are thoroughly designed, tested, and debugged.

Nearly all of the above can be modified by putting a little JavaScript into the page, to customize just about anything that the web designer wants to customize. A wise rule of thumb is: Only do this when you really really need to – when the standard look and actions just don’t meet your needs.

Well, I think Yahoo has gone and customize just about everything in their mail page, piling in the JavaScript to re-write how everything looks and feels. This negates both points (a) and (b) above – the look, feel, and behavior is “different” and unexpected in many ways, and can be buggy as well. They just had to go and re-invent all those little wheels in there.

It gets worse: Web sites all over the place are jumping onto this bandwagon. AT&T, just to name one example, has re-designed their web site recently, such that I can no longer use it to pay my bills on-line, whereas it used to work just fine. The word is, I must now upgrade by browser, which I don’t want to do. Instead, I happen to have a Virtual Machine handy, with a browser that works. So I have to fire that up to pay that bill. Fck AT&T!

If it ain’t broke, fix it until it is!

I don’t see any differences for me. But have you tried 1) resetting your browser 2) using another browser?

I’m really cautious about YM now after it lost an important email (reply to an application).

Some months ago, in another Yahoo-mail complaint thread, someone posted a URL which leads to the old Yahoo Mail.

Does that help with your problem(s)?

Interesting. As I’ve mentioned many times, I habitually run my browser with JavaScript disabled. Yahoo mail, of course, simply flat-out will NOT function any more without JavaScript. But it takes me instead to a page advising me of that fact, with links to switch back to the old Yahoo Mail just one time or permanently. I didn’t have to go looking for that.

Just the same, I still have mostly abandoned using Yahoo mail.

Cool! Thanks! It looks like I have my old Yahoo Mail back.

:slight_smile:

I wonder how much money Yahoo spent to take something that worked (& people liked) & turn it into something that doesn’t work (& pisses people off).

I got an email from my ISP (a small, regional one) a few months ago that said they are going to “upgrade” all their email service by having Yahoo handle all email. A couple weeks ago I got an email from them (my ISP) saying a lot of the first people they switched to Yahoo email were having major issues and the changeover has been either cancelled or delayed (it was unclear which.)

So, I assume the changes to Yahoo email somehow revolve around them trying to drum up email business by providing service to ISPs for a fee.

And yes, I did inform my ISP that I do not consider switching my email account to Yahoo to be an upgrade.

Can’t say that I have had any problems with it other than Vista keeps forgetting the new format and reverting to the old one.
Linux does not have this problem.

Point a: Do you mean to say you’ve disabled JavaScript in your browser (as I suggested above)? If so, you might find many more things besides this that work differently. And depending on your needs, this may be an improvement. I find that, with JS squelched, a WHOLE LOT of stuff doesn’t work, and it’s 90% stuff that I don’t want – Mostly animations (but not all animations), and “live” stuff where the web page does stuff all by itself without me even clicking on anything, or does unexpected oddball stuff (see my earlier rant, several posts above). It’s nearly all advertising or otherwise annoying stuff that gets disabled.

Also, JS slows your machine down. Imagine having several pages open at once in several windows (or tabs), all larded up with JS. Machine slows to crawl. Off JS, and your machine works just fine again.

You only need JS when you need it. I suggest: Turn it on only then. For some users, that may mean all the time (sux to be you, though).

Point b: Yahoo didn’t shit on their own product all at once, though. They’ve gone through multiple “upgrades” over the years – each of them worse than before, IMHO. But note, MHO has a lot to do with how I use the service – just for e-mail and little else. They keep adding newer and fancier-schmancier goodies (junk, I say) and interconnections with Facebook, Twitter, everything else. If you use a lot of that, maybe you need to keep current. If you just want e-mail, stick with you DOS 6.2 machine and Lynx :stuck_out_tongue: Well, not quite that extreme, but keep it simple and you’ll keep it working better. YMMV.

ETA: Lest Yahoo’s legal goon squad descend upon me like the plague of locusts that all legal goon squads are, I should clarify that ALL the major net service providers are doing the same things that we are all complaining of here, in one way or another.