Why I'm Not A Democrat

Just learned about this guy on the radio and was able to find the transcript…it’s written by a really sharp individual in Milwaukee by the name of Dan Odonell who has a site called “Common Sense Central”.

He’s one of those wack-job conservatives who used to be wise and liberal until he grew up and realized liberalism is at the core of every problem we have today in this country.

He has done a great job of digging out history before it is swept away for no more generations to understand.

I have to say that 57 million Americans slaughtered is why Democrats actually have more blood on their hands than Hitler, Pol Pot, and Stalin (well maybe that’s an exaggeration, I think the grandfather of Progressive Politics actually slaughtered nearly 100 million on his own).

Enjoy…
To borrow Perlstein’s own words: You know that racist flag? The one that supposedly honors history but actually spreads a pernicious myth?
It needs to be torn down.
It was the flag that flew over the horrors of slavery; the flag that waved behind the rise of the Ku Klux Klan; the flag of “whites only” water fountains and segregated schools; the flag that was the very symbol of institutionalized racism throughout American history.
Oh, wait. You thought I was talking about the Confederate Flag. Actually, I’m talking about the Democratic Party flag.
The ubiquitous donkey that serves as the Democratic Party’s mascot was originally the mascot of the Democratic Party’s founder and first president, Andrew Jackson.
When he ran for the White House in 1828, his political opponents called him an uneducated jackass. Instead of being offended, he was inspired, and adopted an image of a donkey as his own personal symbol. Once elected, the donkey became the symbol of his party, the Democrats.
Long before he was President, though, Jackson was a slave trader and eventually earned enough money to purchase Hermitage Plantation, where it was estimated that he owned as many as 300 slaves.
Not only that; as President, Jackson insisted on removing Native American tribes from their ancestral lands and killing any who resisted.
He justified this because, in his mind, Native Americans “have neither the intelligence, the industry, the moral habits, nor the desire of improvement which are essential to any favorable change in their condition. Established in the midst of another and a superior race, and without appreciating the causes of their inferiority or seeking to control them, they must necessarily yield to the force of circumstances and ere long disappear.”
The Democratic Party’s Flag is this man’s flag.
In 1848, that flag stood against the newly formed Republican Party, which was created specifically to eradicate the evil of slavery.
And in 1861, that flag waved in opposition to the newly elected President Abraham Lincoln, whose platform of abolition sparked the Civil War.
In the years after, during Reconstruction, the Democratic Party flag flew behind the Ku Klux Klan, which served as a sort of enforcement arm for the party, keeping African American men out of voting booths so as to prevent the spread of Republicanism.
In 1868, it elected its first Grand Wizard, Nathaniel Bedford Forrest. Decades later, his grandson wrote in the September 1928 issue of the Klan’s Kourier Magazine “I have never voted for any man who was not a regular Democrat. My father … never voted for any man who was not a Democrat. My grandfather was …the head of the Ku Klux Klan in reconstruction days…. My great-grandfather was a life-long Democrat…. My great-great-grandfather was…one of the founders of the Democratic party.”
And that flag flew over the segregationist south during the Civil Rights era, when every politician like George Wallace who fought for racial inequality and every sheriff like Bull Connor who viciously attacked black demonstrators was a Democrat.
That flag was their flag.
And for the past half century or more, that flag has flown above cities where but the black graduation and unemployment rates are at their lowest, but the black poverty and murder rates are at their highest.
That flag, which was for years the symbol of systematic racism is now the symbol of systemic failure everywhere it flies.
And it’s time to take it down.
Dan O’Donnell

Someone the other day asked if I ever have seen a Hospital, Mission or Shelter for women started by Atheists or Progressives?

That’s cute.

It’s also a ripoff of a much better and less historically inaccurate essay about Nixon and the POW/MIA flag.

Also, I was unaware there was a flag of the Democratic party.

The Democrats were the racist party until Humphrey led them away. It was Nixon’s southern strategy that did more to make the Republicans the racist party than anything else. It really doesn’t matter what the history was, what’s happening today is what matters.

I’m guessing you answered “no” because it involved the least amount of thought.

Both parties were pretty racist, but it’s true that the Democrats were the more racist group as a whole. But the Republicans longed to get more of that sweet, sweet racist action, and they succeeded!

I think the OP needs to change his username. JustRepeating would be more accurate. And not doing a very good job of it; the guy’s name is Dan O’Donnell not Odonell.

If O’Donnell is so smart, why was he a liberal for all those years? Doesn’t that indicate his political judgement is flawed? And if his past political beliefs were so wrong, how do we know his current beliefs aren’t equally wrong? O’Donnell apparently is a guy who falls for dumb political ideas.

It’s true that the Democrats have a shameful history and the Republicans have an admirable history on race. But that’s history. The Democrats have gotten better and the Republicans have gotten worse.

This is clearly a troll and I would not bother responding since the OP will not be back.

But, anyone who says “Common sense…” is using very little thought. I often here this phrase by very ill-informed people who are parroting whatever schpiel they just heard on conservative talk radio.

Do Jesuits count?

You’re giving him too much credit. He got “common sense” from the same place he got the rest of it. The name of Dan O’Donnell’s radio show is Common Sense Central.

The well poisoning of the OP is remarkable. However, ripping off other published works is against SDMB rules and it was modified “just enough” that there is not even a way to link to the original to convey the intent of the OP.

JustThinking, if you think you have a genuine argument to make that the Democratic Party of 2015 is the same often racist party of decades earlier, put together a serious thesis and post it. Pretending that the the political parties remain identical throughout history is like pretending that Ronald Reagan was a staunch union supporter as president.
If you want to play that game, you might consider opening your next fioray in The BBQ Pit.

Closed.

[ /Moderating ]