Why is Boehner even trying this lawsuit thing?

In his op-ed, Boenher says:

If it’s legislation, it can’t pass without the Senate’s approval, and the President can veto it, and no way is there a 2/3 majority in both houses for such a thing, nor will there be after the midterms. The suit will never be filed if it takes legislation to authorize it. Boehner must know all this.

Of course. But he hasn’t got the stones to bring articles of impeachment to the floor, and the Teabillies are demanding he make some kind of pointless gesture.

This. It’s throwing meat to the crazies. They’ve been doing things like this for decades; going through the motions to placate the extremists, while knowing nothing will come of it.

I have my doubts it will do much good; IMHO, part of the reason for the surge in Republican extremism is that the extremists have finally collectively figured out that the Republicans were just giving them empty promises all these years while not actually even trying to push their agenda much.

Why doesn’t he just have the house vote to repeal Obamacare another 6 or 8 times? Surely Michelle Bachmann would be willing to sponsor those bills.

Is there some actual thing they’re going to sue over, or is it just going to be “to compel President Obama to follow his oath of office and faithfully execute the laws of our country”?

I assume he’s doing this because he wants a spectacle and doesn’t know how to juggle.

(a) The Senate won’t pass his legislation
(b) The President won’t sign his legislation
© Per (a) he doesn’t have the votes to override a veto
(d) Even assuming those problems magically vanished, he runs into a separation of powers problem

Carpal tunnel.

Do you think this is the first time someone has pushed legislation thru that they knew wouldn’t pass? Think of the campaign ad: “This is why I proposed legislation to…”

or “My opponent opposed legislation to…”.

BG: Have you really never seen this done before?

Not such a campaign ad, but certainly what it describes, e.g., all those otherwise-futile ACA-repeal bills.

Well, that’s a delicate question. For one thing, the suit is going to avoid any mention of immigration.

Boehner’s suit authorization resolution is strictly in the House of Representatives, no need for either the Senate or the President to sign off. There are questions over standing and seperation of powers but those are totally different and will be resolved in court. He can sue if he wants to.

Maybe so, but, cite? “Legislation” is what Boehner calls what he’s seeking, and the House cannot legislate unilaterally.

What “legislation” does Boehner wish to pass, other than repealing Obamacare a few dozen more times?

“[L]legislation . . . that would authorize the House of Representatives to file suit in an effort to compel President Obama to follow his oath of office,” etc. From his press release, anyway. However:

I thought he said that they should be judged by how much legislation they don’t pass?

Here is a site that describes various types of votes.

The background is that Raines vs Byrd found that a group of congressmen who sued over the constitutionality of the line item veto did not have standing because they were an ad hoc group and did not reflect the will of the entire house. By passing this resolution Boehner hopes to show that the House has standing to sue because it has suffered a injury whereas individual members have not.

Cite for that? It’s far from clear from Boehner’s public statements so far. Nor is it clear that a “resolution” is what he’s planning to bring to the floor.

So they should be; he just has the evaluation-scale inverted.

Finally some content! Boehner is going to sue Obama for . . . not implementing Obamacare fast enough.

It’s a constitutional issue. They are going after the “abuse of powers”…the fact that it is Obamacare is irrelevant.