why is the grass greener

I have always been fully aware of the ‘grass is always greener on the other side of the fence’ illusion, as probably is everyone.

and i also know the risks and consequences of jumping that fence.

so why does it always look so good?

'Cus they use extra fertilizers.

It may be greener, but it smells like $#!t.

I think its because of the fantasy of the unknown.

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another

Were you citing a deeper source in humor, Dave? We see the lush, green growth but we don’t see all the crap it took to get it there.
Until we jump in.

Hmmm…I thought this post looked better, until I checked it out.
< That was a joke, BTW >

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

you must have been looking for the asshole thread in general questions.

that was a joke, too. maybe not as funny, but hey, ya win some, ya lose some.

personally I prefer artificial turf… ya don’t have to care for it, feed it or talk to it to make it grow… and when it starts to die you just replace the batteries…oppss we ARE talking about grass here …sorry
j/k

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

I’ve seen a few people pave their lots and paint sections green.

Now that is genuine class!

Magnificent to behold - Greatly to be praised.

< sigh >

metroshane, it was IRONY.

See, I was saying that the thread looked better from the outside, but once I got in,

Oh, you need visual aids, I’ll be right back then. < looking for chalkboard >

i know, i know. i was continuing the joke. you see, your joke was that it wasn’t as green once you got there. i was proving your point.

surely we don’t need ‘visuals’ to ‘see’. unless your were planning a chalk outline, of course.

“Chalk outlines” are usually showing where the corpse lay. Or are you saying this thread is dying?

Well, at least it’ll fertilize the grass! :slight_smile:

me thinks it should have stayed where it was!

actually, i was trying to have a somewhat serious discussion on the human condition, and why we can’t shake the feeling that, well that, the grass is greener

I once had a job working for a moving company. Every morning I’d drag my sorry ass out of bed thinking, “Why can’t I just get a job in an office and sit at a desk all day posting things to message boards?” Now I have that job and I sit in a cubicle all day thinking, “Why can’t I just be outside doing a simple, mindless job with no office politics and paperwork?”

“Stop the rope and let me in or I’ll go out and get some gin”

I can do serious (not Yahoo Serious, ya goof!).

I think it’s becuase the mind is imaginative. Without hard imput, your thoughts run away from you. Think sensory deprevation, or fear, and how your mind creates images and enviroments much more “real” than reality.

In a simular vein (but not as extreme), when there is something you want, but don’t actually have, then your mind fantasizes about it. The next thing you know, you’ve hyped up your expectations. When you finally get the object (person, place, or thing) of your desire, the “hard data” becomes available,and you find that the fantasy is more vibrant than the reality.

Please note that all this is a generalization, and that I’m relating this to the original OP’s question of coveting.

metroshane: Better? :wink:

“In a simular vein (but not as extreme), when there is something you want, but don’t actually have, then your mind fantasizes about it. The next thing you know, you’ve hyped up your expectations. When you finally get the object (person, place, or thing) of your desire, the “hard data” becomes available,and you find that the fantasy is more vibrant than the reality.”

So true. When I’m on vacation from the aforementioned cubicle, I rarely feel as if I’m having as good a time as I SHOULD be. When I’m sitting on a real beach, drinking a real beer and watching a real sunset, it’s somehow never as sweet as the daily fantasy. But then maybe I’m just a chronic malcontent.

“Stop the rope and let me in or I’ll go out and get some gin”

Because that’s where the neighbors put their septic tank.

See, the septic tank is where all the…

Never mind.

“I’m still here, asshole!”-Angus Bethune