Why Only ~5 minutes to Edit Post

NCDane, if you use the preview function for the purpose for which it was intended (to check your editing), then the 5 minute window isn’t so bad. Try it sometime. Preview is indeed your friend.

And, based on my interpretation of your editing style, you are writing first in a word processor, then pasting into the post window. If so, then your word processor is giving you an extra hand at spelling and perhaps grammar, and you don’t need the edit function as much as some others do.

You’re right, it is getting ridiculous. I may have over quoted you and was really “reading between the lines” on the mischief part. Which is a polite way of saying they are children.

Yes.

I have about 11000 posts spread between several other chat rooms
(“chat room” = “board”) going back to Feb. 2004.

And it’s becoming clear to some of us that a person who has been part of this board for only a short month might be better off watching, listening and learning for a little longer before banging down the battlements with high-tension complaints.

Really? And in all that time you never noticed you don’t need to hit ‘return’ at the end of each line? :dubious:

Comedy school flunk-outs should keep it serious. That means you.

OK, fine. I give the hell up.

OK, fine. I give the hell up.

Your answer to my perfectly reasonable question should have been a simple “no”.

I never said anything about unlimited post editing.

I’m also going to speak up as liking us only having a 5 minute edit window. If you read any old threads, it helps not to have the conversation wildly veer off from what it originally was just so one post could be edited to say something else. If that makes us children, then so be it. And if anyone has been online any length of time knows, plain old generic typos are no big deal anyway and not something to sweat. No one really cares if you typed teh instead of the.

Around here, we don’t worry about the number of posts so much as the content.

To be honest, unlimited editing isn’t any different than 1 day or one week. I am a member of a board that I can edit posts from over a year ago, and I doubt anyone would notice if I did so, so it isn’t a real difference.

I meant the person editing was the child, not the reader. However, if it really does bother you if someone edits their post to say something different then perhaps you care too much. This is just a message board, and sometimes I think people take it too seriously.

I use preview function on overt 90% of my posts. Only a few one-liners
are ever excepted.

I am afraid that I can seldom resist the tempation to continue composition
once I paste it here, and so error creeps in, and in, and in again.

(In, and in, and in again: I like that. Too bad it doesn’t more closely apply
to my love life.)

No school would have me. I’m self-taught. :stuck_out_tongue:

Except the answer to your question is “yes,” I’ve been to sites with a longer edit window. I haven’t been a member of a site with an editing window of 30 minutes or two hours, but I’ve been here (with no editing at first, and then a limit of five minutes) and I’ve been to a site with no time limit on edits. I realize there is room in the middle but I think I get the concept. I also don’t think my answers to your questions have been rude or unreasonable.

It’s obvious they are using a third party program automatically inserting carriage returns.

Oh is that so, Mr. CHARTER member?

Well high-tension is my style if anything is my style, and if that doesn’t suit you
then you can b*gger off.

Thank you for backing me up.

All I was asking for was an hour or two, but if there is no harm and no foul
in a year or two then all the more reason for a change in SOP around here.

As well you should.

My mention of post-count was only for the benefit of those who assume
I am inexperienced, or haven’t figured out all the formatting ropes.

I wasn’t really backing you up (in this case) but somewhat backing up Marley, in that unlimited editing isn’t different than (let’s say) 24hr editing. In the other things, however, I agree and don’t think it would be a real problem to extend the limit. Saying that, however, I also don’t see any problem with the way it is.

I remain unconvinced.

I think we need to add “reading the membership agreement” to your laundry list of Things To Do.

And no, I’m not offended by your asterisk. Sorry.

You’re getting out of line for this forum. Please keep it civil. We’re only talking about the editing limits on the site.