Why the European & Japanese fandom of George Adamski?

George Adamski, the Polish-born uber-Contactee of the 1950’s, is usually considered an embarrassment to U.S. Ufologists, except maybe among the New Age devotees among them. However, when I went to look up YouTubes about him, most of them seem European in origin. Similarly, when the present owners bought the Palomar Gardens campsite where Adamski ran a diner, they were surprised to see a busload of Japanese tourists arrive & was told “Those are the Adamski people”. Since then, they researched him & are devoting some time to his fan-base.

So why is it that this 1950’s-era curiosity seems to have a bigger following in the more secular, rational, scientific societies of Europe & Japan, than in the good old USA- as religion-addled as we are?

I remember finding him quite interesting when I was a teen, although not really believing him. The last nail in the coffin about his credulity was reading about this photo being identified as an old gas street light.

See, I always heard it was part of a chicken brooder.

Btw, interesting page with some film footage taken by ol’ George.

Well, I’m British and rather a sceptic, meaning that I read about UFOs and the like sometimes too. And I’ve never heard of him.

If the youtube links were mostly European, and he’s Polish-born, were they maybe Polish? Or maybe just one or two odd people? I assume you watched them, so you know they’re not about the singer Adamski.

This is more to do with Adamski fading from the popular imagination than his prominence in the field in his own time. As you know, I’m also British and a couple of years older, but I’m not certain I’ve ever seen him mentioned as a current reference by anyone in my lifetime either. But people discussing the history of UFOs, in either the US or Britain, in any detail do invariably single him out as important.
Thus, for example, writing in his Can You Speak Venusian? in 1972, Patrick Moore could say:

“Independent Thinker” is, of course, Moore’s polite term for crank. For that matter, Velikovsky has essentially long since faded entirely from popular view as a recognisable name as well.
Moore even interviewed Adamski for Panorama. (For non-Brits, this was the BBC’s main weekly current affairs TV programme of the time.)

There was also a specifically British angle to the whole Adamski story: his co-author Desmond Leslie was British. However, it’s possible that he is more remembered, though not by name, as the person who attacked Bernard Levin during a live episode of That Was The Week That Was. Leslie was taking exception to a review Levin had written about his wife’s singing career.