Why the hell do we have cell phones anyway?

I managed to avoid getting one until I started my current job a year and a half ago. They provided it. I’m allowed to use it for whatever I want, but if I go over the “free” minutes with personal calls, I’ve gotta pay 'em back.

Anyway, my wife is just peachy about not annoying me with excessive calls. She always tries me at my desk, first, too. It helps that we’ve got really terrible reception in this building.

My parents, on the other hand, have decided to use it as the primary method of contacting me. I’ll be sitting right next to the landline phone at home, and they’ll try my cell first. I’ll be sitting right next to the landline phone at my desk, and they’ll try my cell first (What? I can’t hear you. Call me back at my desk. CALL ME BACK AT MY DESK. NO, AT MY DESK. AT MY…) I’ll call them on their landline, and they’ll act fucking suprised.

I’ve decided that when I leave this job, I’m not getting one of my own. Since I refuse to wear a belt clip, at least I won’t look like I’m walking around with a short, stubby erection.

You’re on you cad! (or am I the cad? Either way…)

Call my cell, we’ll arrange a time and place. :wink:

:smack:
Here’s the best part.

I even tried calling my phone, which as I said was left home because we can’t have them at work (security reasons. If they ban camera phones, they have to ban all cell phones). My ringer’s pretty loud, so I figured she’d hear it and answer it. I get home on lunch and look at my phone.

It’s on silent mode from when I snuck it into work yesterday.

:sigh:

You people are frustrating. Really, really frustrating. Just in case you weren’t aware of how annoying you are.

Ok, for real now. My wife’s message on her cell voice mail even says something along the lines of:

“Hi, this is me and if you know me, you know I probably either have my phone off or left it where I can’t hear it ring, so just leave a message and I’ll call you when I find this phone, or if you need me in a hurry, call the husband and he can try to reach me.”

THAT is annoying, when I get her calls.

I am not required to be immediately, instantly, and/or constantly available to any person. My telephone is for my convenience, not yours. I don’t check my email very often either. Write me a letter; I read my mail every day.

Yeah, that is annoying. What are you, her answering service? I guess so!

I feel your pain. I was happy as a teenager when Mom finally got a cellphone (more specifically, it was a Christmas gift from Dad). I was getting tired of waiting around after voice lessons or wherever wondering if she had forgotten to pick me up, and having no way to contact her.

She rarely ever had the phone on. So I was still stuck waiting around after voice lessons, wondering if she was coming to pick me up, and wondering why she had the phone.

(Oddly enough, it gets used now after we’ve discovered some problems with the battery/charger. We can’t really use it unless it’s plugged in, so it’s still not on most of the time, but since I’m living away, she often uses it to tell me when she’s coming to visit/pick me up)

Funny, she always picks up when I call…

Yeah, yeah, you and all my friends. My best friend has resorted to calling me at work 'cause she knows I can’t tell it’s her. (she is a good friend but, jeez, I’ve heard it before) Anyway, what’s so important that it can’t wait for an email?

You forgot the ::rim shot::

Ow.

[Lame answer]That’s because I’m out cleaning the garage?[/Lame answer]

Glad to meet you too.

I use my phone for an hour a day, at most, just to so I know when to meet my carpool. If you try calling me any other time, use my voicemail.

But then, again, it doesn’t matter, since nobody knows my cell phone number except 2 people.

And I’d rather be nigh unreachable in any case, then someone who yaks on one constantly.

Two years ago, I took the batteries out of both our cell phones and waited for the damn contract to expire. Most worthless devices I ever wasted money on. Or, the most worthless devices on which I ever wasted money.

Hey! That’s my mom you’re talking about there! :mad:

But you’re totally right. My family has 3 phones for 3 people. No landlines whatsoever. My mother’s is always on vibrate in her purse when she’s out and goes straight the charger (still on vibrate!) in the back part of the house as soon as she gets in. I used to use her as my emergency contact, but I can’t anymore – my brother has that dubious honor now. It’s simply because she’s a bitch.

There’s a story about that on www .erosblog. com (not linked due to extreme NSFWness. You can cut and paste the link, bucko.). Look for the Oct 03 entry :smiley:

20 bucks says she has a crush on some boy who also goes to “rehearsal,” and keeps feeding you a story so she can keep pretending to be stranded and getting rides home with him.

You know what’s even more frustrating? When people know someone who screens almost all of their calls, and yet they refuse to leave messages. Even worse are the people who let it ring and ring and then, after not leaving a fucking message, call right back. Repeat. ALL FUCKING DAY.

Gee, I can’t imagine why I wouldn’t want to talk to somebody like that.

When we moved out of state I added two phones to our contract and gave one to my sister (who never has any money) and one to my mom (who’s completely broke). We’re picking up the tab. I figured this way we can talk to one another all we want, for just $20/mo. No long distance fees.

My sister never uses hers. Just…doesn’t. Despite the fact that she can’t spare the minutes on her cell. But that’s the one she calls me on. Rarely.

My mom thought her phone was broken, until I showed her the neat ON/OFF feature.

The one person who does call me on my cell is my aunt - in whose city we now reside.

Then there’s my wife, who insisted that we get cell phones “just in case” but apparently needs to call me for trivial non-emergency reasons several times a day. There’s no way I can return the favor, though.

She always has hers, and it’s always on and charged up. The problem is that she also always has at least two two enormous handbags (her sister calls her Pocketbook Annie) and a voluminous tote bag, and the phone is invariably buried in the bottom of one of them. And it’s a different bag every day. The result of this brilliant system is that she can’t ever find the thing to answer it if she even hears it ringing in the first place.

I’ve actually adapted, and my cell phone is the first thing I try if I need to call somebody. Except my wife. Depending on where she is I’ll call her desk phone at work or our landline at home and leave a message (because she’s got the ringer on her office phone turned off and always loses the handset to our home phone). Trying her cell is just an exercise in frustration.

When Bird Man and I lived in Iowa City we each had a cell phone and no land line. Worked pretty good. When we moved back to Dubuque to be near my family the cell phones still worked really well, but Mom and Dad were upset because we didn’t have a local number and they had to either call us long distance on the land line, or by their cell phones. Apparently calling us with their cell phones wasn’t a valid option, I think they said they “didn’t like it.” So Bird Man and I decide to play nice with them and get local numbers.

Months of hassle and $600 down the tube later we have new local numbers. (bitched about in detail here)

Then Dad buys a new cell phone/PDA combo. I keep telling the damn man to stop buying combos because they suck so bad. This phone gets no reception, he has to walk out onto his driveway to call me. He will only call us on that cell because

1. He wants to get his money’s worth
  2. He thinks the phone is cool
  3. Our phone numbers are programmed into the cell phone so he doesn’t have to remember them

So now every conversation I have with my Dad goes like this
Dad: Hey I w****** calling you fo**** when you go to the p*****
Me: Fucking hell Dad, your phone sucks!
Dad: I can’tlemmie call you back****
Me: hangs up and calls his land line

So tell me, Dad, why did I go through all that hassle to get a new number if you’re just gonna call me on your cell anyway because you can’t fucking remember or even write down said new number? Gah!