Why wont my digital camera work with my computer?

I don’t get it. I followed all the instructions. I installed the software properly. I have more than the required specs. Every time I try to access the pictures, My Computer stops responding.

The camera is a Polaroid i532.

The specs are:
Pentium III 450MHz or equivalent (I have Pentium 4 2.8 GHz)
USB Port (I have 4)
128 MB Ram - 256 recommended (I have 1.25GB)
500 MB free space (I have 11.3GB free)
Color Monitor with high color -16bit or higher (mine is 32 bit)
CD-ROM drive (I have 2)
Standard mouse and keyboard (um, yeah)
Stereo speakers (yep)
DivX (I do now, since it was on the disk that came with the camera)
I also have Windows XP

The directions say to install the software first. XP users don’t have to install the driver because it automatically installs when you attach the camera.
Then - plug in the cable and attach camera then turn on camera.
Then - go to My Computer
Then - go to Devices with removable storage
Then - open the camera and open the files.

Problem is, every time I open My Computer, either my computer crashes or My Computer stops responding. I’ve also tried importing the images directly into ArcSoft but that doesn’t work either.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

My boyfriend also can’t work the camera on his computer but he doesn’t even get as far as I do. He also has more than enough of all the requirements but my computer is better than his so I thought I’d have better luck.

You should avoid attaching the camera to the PC if at all possible. Some cameras syncs love PCs and some give then huge bellyaches. Easier, faster, better simply to get an inexpensive flash card multi reader and take the data card out of the camera to be read in the stand alone reader.

Here’s one for $10. at Walmart

I disagree. Well, sort of. What I mean is, if the camera’s firmware engineers were doing their jobs properly, there shouldn’t be any issue connecting the camera directly to a standard PC. You shouldn’t have to spend any extra money to get your photos from the camera to the computer, even if it is only $10. If I ever found that I couldn’t do so with a camera I just spent a couple or three hundred bucks on, it’s going straight back to the store in exchange for a different brand. FWIW, I’ve not yet had any issues, and my current camera, a Canon, works just fine via the USB port with no additional software installed under WinXP.

I do agree, however, that a dedicated card reader has as few advantages over direct connection and if you can’t get the computer to recognize the camera via the USB cable, a card reader is your least expensive and most likely to work option if you can’t (or don’t wish to) take the camera back.

I agree that a second choice (and maybe the best one overall) is just to buy a card reader. They are uber-cheap and can be had for < $15 or less. You just connect it to the computer via USB and plug the card in. It then reads like a drive and you don’t need any software at all to transfer or vie your pictures.

Thanks guys. My boyfriend picked up a card reader on his way home from work. In less than 5 minutes, I had all our pictures transferred and had already started playing around with the editing.
I’m now setting up Photobucket so I can show my family copious pictures of my bunny.

Though it seems you have already purchased the card reader, I’m just gonna jump in with one advantage of card readers that hasn’t been mentioned in here, mainly that they don’t drain the camera’s batteries. On some cameras this is a big deal, and on others, it’s not, but basically, it uses up the camera’s battery juice to pull pictures onto the computer, while most card readers get all the power they need from the computer’s USB drive.

Anyhow, I’m glad you got everything working, and I hope that camera works out for you!

I noticed in the OP this statement.

Are you opening the explorer window ?? Or using the ‘computer’ icon?

The camera should just be another folder in with all the others or maybe just in ‘owners’ folders. Just like the reader is now.

Anyhow, the reader is the best way to do it.

One thing, always just copy from the reader to a folder and do not ‘move’ or ‘delete’ anything on the card itself. Always use the camera for that. It is possible to mess up a card having the computer messing with the card.

YMMV

And the final caveat: Don’t format the card in the computer, only format the card in the camera.