Why would a father rob his daughter of childhood and fill her with hate?

Batin Ashante, a member of the nation of Islam, a poet and activist has what can onnly be described as a very bright daughter. Maybe even a genius. I say maybe, because I serioulsy doubt that his seven-years-old little Autum could have penned the following poem:

White Nationalism Put U In Bondage

White nationalism is what put you in bondage
Pirate and vampires like Columbus, Morgan, and Darwin
Drank the blood of the sheep, trampled all over them with
Steel, tricks and deceit.
Nothing has changed take a look in our streets
The mis-education of she and Hegro – leaves you on your knee2grow
Black lands taken from your hands, by vampires with no remorse
They took the gold, the wisdom and all of the storytellers
They took the black women, with the black man weak
Made to watch as they changed the paradigm
Of our village
They killed the blind, they killed the lazy, they went
So far as to kill the unborn baby
Yeah White nationalism is what put you in bondage
Pirates and vampires like Columbus, Morgan, and Darwin
They drank the blood of the sheep, trampled all over them with
Steel laden feet, throw in the tricks alcohol and deceit.
Nothing has changed take a look at our streets.

Am I wrong? I have no expertise with children, but the seven-year-olds I know do not have near the grasp of the concepts, history, or language to write something like that? Is it possible? Evidently she has recited this poem in middle and high schools in Peekskill, NY, about 45 minutes from her hometown of Mount Vernon.

Assuming it is possible, what father would shovel so much anger—true or not—in to the mind of a child so that by the age of seven she can spit out such bile? I feel sad for this little girl who never was allowed to be a little girl.BU t the question for right now, is: "Is this possibly the work of a seven-year-old? If so, is it safe to say she is a genius?

It’s a shitty poem based on an idiotic premise (“white nationalism?” Give me a break!) No, I don’t believe that a 7 year old would have written that either.

No, she didn’t write it by herself. She may have written some of it, but not even most.

This line especially, “The mis-education of she and Hegro – leaves you on your knee2grow”. It’s an interesting play on words that no way a seven-year-old could write it.

Sadly, the child is by no means the only child being raised in hate.

And, finally, what the hell has Darwin got to do with it?

"She also asked students to stand and recite the “Black Child’s Pledge,” an oath of responsibility and black pride.

When white students at the Peekskill High School assembly stood with black students, Autum told them to sit down, the school district’s superintendent said."

It doesn’t bother me too much that this happened. I’m sure there is an equivalent white, Chinese or hispanic parent filling their kid with the same crap. Ever see the darling little white racist musical little girl duo of Prussian Blue?

What bothers me is that the reaction from the crowd outside city hall:

“On the steps of City Hall, Autum recited the poem and pledge, drawing yelps of “Tell it!” and “Hallelujah!” from [City councilman] Barron’s staff and others in the small crowd.”

Also, one more vote for she didn’t have jack to do with writing it, though I did see her in a news video, and she seemed either exceptionally bright or exceptionally adept at acting adult.

No way I’m going to believe a seven year old kid used the word “paradigm” in a poem. I’d like to say I can’t believe anyone would use “paradigm” in a poem, but I’ve long since lost my youthful naivete.

Also, Darwin? What the hell did he ever do to black people?

Where do you think people learn this shit? Look at Prussian Blue-the singing Nazi twins. Their father at least, is now trying to get custody back from their mother and stepfather-he’s furious about how they’ve been taught neo-Nazism.

I noticed that line in particular, as well. Then there’s also the cadence, definitely not what you’d expect from a second-grader.

Yet, this kid is being paraded around as a literary Mozart. She’s performed on HBO’s Def Poetry Jam, The Cotton Club in LA, The Apollo Theater, Caroline’s on Broadway, the African Street Festival, Steve harvey’s “Big Time”, and elsewhere.

When the Westchester Journal News questioned her about her poem, she explained that white people are “devils and they should be gone. We should be away from them and still be in Africa.”

Nice job, Dad.

At long last, a black supremacist that white supremacists can rally around. During the figurative rally, it might turn into a more literal kind of rally, however.

It would be interesting to trace back her family tree a few hundred years and see if there were any whites hiding in there.

I am sure plenty of people would be willing to pony up for a one-way ticket to Sierra Leone, Liberia, or West Africa for them (with a goat waiting on the other end). She might be in for a surprise though.

I am not saying that black people should be thankful that they were brought here forcefully but many freely acknowledge they aren’t going to be taken alive if a return boat comes. There have been a few black comedians that did good impressions on that theme and I don’t think that kind of talk is going to be taken well even by the militant.

And that’s my point. Even leaving aside the issue of authorship, how is this acceptable to a wide audience? Prussian Blue isn’t exactly being asked to perform on the Today Show.

To answer the question posed by the thread title:

Because he’s a dick.

I remember a poem that I remembered when I was *six * years old.
“In the farmer’s garden, snug and deep,
lived a wiggly worm, named Charley Creep…”
there was more, but I certainly wasn’t on TV. And I never claimed authorship.
I think that it’s fine that a father teach his children any thing that he wants.
I think it’s blamed idiotic that anybody pay attention to her.
hh

I read about her two weeks ago (NY Post or Daily News article someone left on the train) and wondered the same thing. I wouldn’t rule out that the poem is hers. Kids her age or younger can display talents at music or math or any number of other things. The sentiment isn’t all hateful, but I don’t think it’s all hers either. It’s not exactly weird for people to pass their values on to their kids, and this is just another example of the awful results that brings from time to time.

Before I go…

Heh. I’ll give her two lines, free of charge: “Two, four, six, eight/Who taught this kid to hate?”

I honestly don’t see why not. My parents let me romp in the library and read whatever I could reach on the shelves. I do know that at 8 I was reading shakespear and chaucer, using college texts belonging to my mother and had memorized the prologue to the CAnterbury Tales in middle english, and I had read Burgess’ Clockwork Orange [the paperback with the glossary in the back.] I was probably the only 8 year old in america who could understand droog speak. mrAru and I can still baffle people using droogspeak. I also read a fair amount of history and science. I wrote my first haiku about that time, albeit it wasnt exactly correct - the syllable count was correct but the format was a bit off. Hey, I was 8. :slight_smile:

I was similar when I was a kid. I lived out in the country, with no neighbor kids to play with, and I was very withdrawn around children at school. I spent the lion’s share of my time reading. I rarely read “children’s books”.

I was not political, but I think I certainly would have been able to write such a poem if I was. I wrote poetry, but it was mostly along the lines of what was going on in my life. (I once wrote one about my grandma’s surgery.)