Wierd brit slang?

A number of songs by the british old-school rave group Altern8 contain a sample of a little girl saying something that I previously thought was totally unintelligible. The other day I came across this website which says she’s saying “top one nice one get sorted” (you can hear the sample here).

What the hell does that mean? I can’t even parse it into a coherent sentence fragment.

I’m sure a “Brit” will be along shortly but till then a Irishman will have to do . :slight_smile:

I don’t know the song but "top one nice one " probably makes more sense if you put a comma after the 1st one . "top one , nice one " both basically mean the same thing . “get sorted” most likely means scoring or taking drugs .

• I just know somebodies gonna come along and say I totally wrong .

I worked with a large group of Brits in Colombia a couple of years ago. Some of their slang was just too funny to me. One of the best was, “I’ll knock you up later.” I’ve got lots more if you want to hear them…

Now that has two meanings . :wink:

Not to mention the rubber on the end of your pencil …

Of course, we have to keep in mind the image that “fanny pack” conjures up for the Brits …

See http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/dict.html

Here comes a Brit you’ve been waiting for.(maybe not the Brit)

To get sorted - was associated with the London East end(the rough bit) and meant to resolve something in your favour, so if you were to use it, say, in buying a car and you bouhgt something at a good price then you would be ‘sorted’.
Naturally this could be used in many differant contexts such as getting married, buying drugs or whatever.

This expression has spread throughout much of the UK partly WAG through a soap opera called East Enders which is broadcast nationally.

Top one, ugh!, I dislike it because it is used in what I think are not relevant situations.Tends to be used by the under 30’s especially those trying to hang on to the last vestiges of youth coolness.
Example - It is used instead of thank you, I have had guests round at times who use the words ‘top one’ or ‘nice one’ when I’ve prepared a meal for them.
To me a more correct usage is when someone accomplishes something of note such as scoring a goal at soccer, that kind of thing.

What casdave said, but emphasising the fact it’s usually said by rather sad people trying to act younger. “Top one” and “nice one” are probably traceable back to the early rave era in the UK (1989/90/91).

I run into ‘are you taking a piss?’ Which refers somehow or other, to making fun of someone.

That would be “are you taking the piss?”

“you’re having me on!” = “you gotta be kiddin’ me!”

“what’s the crack?” = “what’s goin’ on?”

“he’s a right wanker!” = “he’s a real jerk-off!” (the letter ‘w’ followed by a drawing of an anchor was rather a popular way of symbolizing someone)

“odds and sods” = “odds and ends”

“bangers and mashies” = “sausage and potatoes”

I always thought it was kinda neat that rhyming phrases were made out of everyday expressions (can’t think of any right off the top of my head, of course. maybe casdave can give us some examples)

and taking a temporary job in the company somewhere other than your home division was called being ‘seconded’ (pronounced see-cun’-dud)

and heaven forbid you would be forced to take redundancy (retirement)

“what’s the crack?” = “what’s goin’ on?”

Not English in origin it’s Irish

should be “what’s the craik?”

Many colloquiallisms date back tp the dark ages with the Vikings and Danish invasion and settlements. These are mostly used in the Northern areas,

Laiking -Yorkshire mainly =to join in espec at games
ducal -teeside = dog
mithering(pro/ my-thur)-Yorkshire = to pester or annoy
gadger -Tyneside & Scot = Man
Morte -Tyneside(but still used in Nordic countries)= woman
Parne(pro/ pa-nee)Cumbria = rain

Even today shepherds in North Yorkshire still use a counting system introduced around 1000 years ago.

All the above are still used.
It was said that as recently as the 1940’s a North-Easterners patois was so closely related to the Nordic languages that it was possible for one to have a rough understanding of a conversation .Times have moved on and the advent of mass communication has lessened those regional differances somewhat.

Rhyming slang is London based but some of it has escaped to the North

Battle-cruiser(boozer)= pub
Guinea-pig(cig)= cigarette
Apples & pears = stairs
Daisies(daisy roots) = Boots
Brahms & Liszt(pissed) = drunk
Teapots(Teapot lids)= kids = children
Horses hoof(poof) = homosexual
trouble and strife = wife
Pony and trap(crap) = shit - as a verb

These are often shortened to the first word only.

oooo oooo oooo!!! post some more casdave! I love british slang! I only know a few phrases I’ve gotten from some movies
such as:
wanker
lift (instead of elevator)
–and some others I got from a friend; well, actually she was south-african, but her mother was very british. So I don’t know if her slang was british slang, but she always said:
“oh, my hat!” (oh, my goodness)
“let’s have a go at it” (let’s try it)
“I’ve got to run to the lou” (I’ve got to go to the restroom)
“pleasure” (you’re welcome)
–and various other phrases
But, hey, post some more phrases please! This is fun!

Let’s have you = come along

As clever as a clever thing - from Blackadder

Trousers = Pants

Fag = cigarette

Chinky = Chinese/espec as in food

lobby = vestibule

Jam sandwich= police car(from the dayglo stripe down the side)
Packet or lunchbox = Mens nether region(very recent no idea where it came from)

Bonk = sex

Archer = sum of money(£2000 alleged to have been the amount a politician tried to bribe a prostitute with-I like that one)

North and South = Mouth(rhyming slang)

Chokey = prison or the segregation unit in a prison

Blister = unwanted person, pest

Bit of rough = Man of low background who attracts a thrill seeking type of m/class girl

Bit of skirt = Woman often the suburban housewife looking for relief from boredom

Muppet = idiot

Fraggle = bewildered idiot

Wassock = useless idiot

Prat = Dickhead

Jimmy Riddle = piddle = urinate

I like the Irish best as it has a wonderful descriptive quality to it.

How about the thrill(pro/trill) = orgasm

Back at ya yojimbo

According to the English Dialect Dictionary, “crack” in the sense of conversation/chat is native to Scotland and parts of northern England.

Irish spelling would be “craic” btw.

-Bollox = testicles

-Go ask my bollox = *self explanatory

-Ya bollox = you dickhead

-Craic = fun

-Whats the Craic = What’s going on.

-A culchie = A person from a rural background .

-A jackine = A person from Dublin . ( Most culchies would also call them a lot of bolloxes )

-Your lad = penis

-Fanny = Vagina ( same as Britain )

-Going for an Arthur? = Going for a Pint of Guinness

-On the pig’s back [ muine na muca ( my Irish is terrible) ] = Happy

-Happy as a pig in shite = very happy

-West Brit = Somebody whose accent sounds English

-Use of the word “me” instead of “my” eg. me Ma = my Mother

-Shagadelic = Someone whose very shagable ( f**kable)

-And of course the use of f**k at least twice in every sentence and in the middle of words eg. -abso-fucking - lutly

-Jaysus - Jesus ( To be used as follows ) . Jaysus Christ the heads to big on that Guinness !

There are loads more but my brain hasn’t really turned on yet . Ireland and Britain share a huge amount sayings since we’ve been so closely linked for so long.

ruadh :

Another One . That’s three of us I know about .

Bollox can also mean a mistake eg . I made a right bollox of that .
It can also be used instead of shit as a exclamation eg . if you dropped a tray of food you would say " BOLLOX "

I really like the word Bollox .

Oh…

I thought “wierd” was the Brit slang you were taking about.

Just an NA typo, I guess.

::tsk, tsk::

Bollox is usually spelled “bollocks” in Britain, as in “it’s the dog’s bollocks” (‘it’s really good’).

Bangers and mash (not ‘mashies’) is pretty much right, although it’s always sausages and mashed potato.

I can’t speak for the Irish slang, though.

tipiwoo - I recognise some of those phrases, but some must be South African…BTW. it’s “loo”, not “lou”.

More phrases for those interested…

It’s all gone pear-shaped - it’s all gone wrong
It’s all gone Pete Tong - ditto (silly slang, Pete Tong being a well-respected DJ)
Bevvy - (usually alcoholic) drink (from beverage)
Boozer - pub
Can’t be arsed - can’t be bothered
Knackered - tired (also “Cream crackered”, from a kind of water biscuit known as Jacob’s Cream Crackers)
Manky - dog-eared, rough around the edges (of people)
Off-license - carry-out alcohol shop
Snogging - “passionate” kissing
Getting off with someone - ditto (might lead on to sex, but doesn’t involve it per se)

For more details, A Dictionary of (British) Slang is the most complete guide I’ve seen.

Yep here to . Back to the brain not working thing . Thx for the correction .