Will Biden run for a second term?

That’s the thing – “someone else” is always preferable to the incumbent. Almost everyone in the Democratic coalition could probably name a candidate who matches their hyper specific political profile better than Biden. And they can project onto this person all of their hopes and fantasies and just assume that this person would accomplish everything they want. There was a post on the front page of Reddit today about the Dobbs decision headlined: “Bernie would have cut this off with executive orders and legislation before it ever got to this point.” The mind absolutely boggles.

Well people on reddit are idiots who know nothing about politics lol. I wouldnt give them that much credit.

Maybe Bernie would be better but probably not much different due to a not real majority in congress. But the average voter doesnt understand how the chambers of government even work in the first place. Most people think the president does everything and thats that.

Unmentioned thus far is a Dem who currently has the potential to upset all presidential vote calculations. I speak of course of Merrick Garland. He’ll be 71 in 2024.

Garland’s potential stems from the possibility he will be able to shut down Trump’s candidacy before it ever happens (presumably, sometime between this year’s midterms and 2024), whether through a conviction or practical circumstances demanding so much of Trump’s time and money that he cannot effectively campaign, if at all. That would unite Dems like nothing else and Garland’s popularity would skyrocket as a result.

It would also give him an unbeatable “American comeback story” to sell: stiffed by Republicans for a Supreme Court gig, he returned to take out the Republicans’ biggest gun. What true American independent voter could resist a story like that? As for Republicans, they would never vote for a Dem anyway, so it’s not like Garland would lose any votes as the man who took out Trump.

With a groundswell of support raising Garland’s popularity above Biden’s (and DeSantis’), that could be one of the very few reasons Biden might choose to step aside, confident his successor would be a Dem.

I can further foresee Garland being not much more successful than Biden as prez for much the same reasons… as well as the possibility Thomas or Alito might need to be replaced on SCOTUS by/before 2028 (or, dare I say it, 2032).

A fantasy, to be sure, leaving unaddressed all questions of Garland’s fitness as a candidate and any lack of will on his part to be a candidate. Still, it’d make a great movie plot; maybe Brad Pitt as MG?

Agree. Biden/Harris already proved they can beat the Trump cult (still the most popular person in the Republican party) and they can be expected to do it again. I would most definitely vote for them again, even with some diminished capacity of Biden (I don’t mind if he needs a nap each day) and even with the unlikable and less competent Harris with the potential to assume leadership if the worst happens. They are still much preferable to anything the other side has to offer, and all this fantasy of the Democrats switching-up candidates will never happen - they have a proven winner already. The only way that could happen is if Biden is carried out of the White House feet first, or as mentioned, if he is on a vent. There is no need to make a switch, otherwise.