will dried beans grow?

I bought two packets of dried beans from the supermarket, one packet of red kidney beans, and a packet oif rose coco beans. What would happen if I tried planting them? Would they be likely to grow? Could I get my own kidney bean plant?

I mean that I got them from the food section. Not the gardening section. I have recently planted some dried beans from the gardening section, which are now growing nicely.

maybe yes, maybe no. it depends on how old they are. However, what do you have to lose in the attempt? Soak the seeds for a day or so in water, plant them and see what develops. You might be surprised!

If beans will sprout they will grow into a plant.

So… try sprouting them. If they sprout then plant them.

you would want to look in a gardening book to see if the plant can grow in your plant zone. it may grow but not long enough to produce edible product.

as suggested sprout 1 or 2 dozen beans in a small amount of water.

Unless they’ve been killed by forced drying or languished too long in your cupboard, they should grow.

I’m growing some like this myself this year (details) - I intend to plant the first of my beans today, as it happens.

I’m planting pinto, black turtle and cannelini beans - all of which are varieties of the same species - French beans. I’ll harvest some as green pods, some later as fresh (i.e. not dry) beans and the rest as mature dry beans at the end of the year.

Should I soak them? Or just plant them dry?

Something I’ve always wondered—does freezing affect a bean or seed’s ability to sprout?

I suppose that most of them need to be able to survive the winter, then grow in the spring. And there are some that actually require freezing, or they won’t grow properly.

beans are a hard plant to sprout in dirt. they need lots of water and there is a sweet spot between not enough and too much leading to rot. you would need to plant many more than you expect to survive. sprout first is easier.

sprout in a pan with water covering. after sprouting starts you could keep moist between cloth or paper. the sprout is the root so plant that downward. you could wait for the leave end to emerge from the bean before planting.

Really? I did not know that! Ignorance fought!

There is a facility in Norway where seeds are stored frozen for safe keeping.

This is true of some seeds, but not all -in the case of French and runner beans they’re adapted to warm, wettish growing seasons and cool, dry conditions during dormancy - I’m pretty sure that deep freezing will kill the seeds.

Broad beans might tolerate it (the seedling plants are certainly hardy), likewise peas, but these are plants that originate in more northerly climes.

Yeah, it’s quite surprising really - most of the beans you see in the shops (green and dried) are just varieties of the same thing - the common bean.

Kids do this in grade school for science projects. Keep the beans wet for a few days until they sprout, then plant them. We kept them in wet folded paper towels inside a baggie. Last year during the rainy season my kids dumped a bunch of old beans in my yard that were left over from an art project, and soon they were all sprouted all over the yard. They grew their own roots into the lawn.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of commercial vegetable, bean and fruit varieties are hybrids, and won’t breed true. Meaning that the beans you grow from your store-bought beans may not be quite like the parents- sometimes drastically so.

In general science we sprouted beans on a wet blotter. No special effort was made to get secially young ones and they spouted readily.

Beans sold for seed do sprout in soil, but I think they do better if you soak them overnight.

A bit more info is needed…

There are several origins of what we call beans. Examples: Asia gave us the small red beans and black beans used in Japanese cuisine and the soybean. Europe gave us the typical green beans and the white beans of Italy and France and the broadbeans or Fava beans. But the Americas were the richest source of beans. Pinto, black, appalosa, reds Limas, and so forth…most of the dried bean types came from the Americas and are not the same as those from Europe.

So when we eat beans, squash, corn, turkey, avacadoes, tomatoes, chilies and so forth, we are most likely eating foods developed by the natives of the Americas.