Will this election also be decided by the perverse American fetish for GUNS?

WTF?! No small-arms arsenal is going to keep you alive if the government seriously wants to kill you! (Cliven Bundy’s standoff only worked because the government didn’t want to.)

No, the next election is not going to be decided by gun-rights single-issue-voters. There is too much else in play.

Once I get time and money I think I’ll be starting a thread to get some advice.

I think so too but because of the “crying wolf”. While I think that if Beto himself were the nominee, he would lose votes from people otherwise on the fence and/or have a lot of angry turnout against him from otherwise apathetic people.

But if someone else is nominated, gun nuts already think the Democrats are gun grabbers, so nominating a run-of-the-mill advocate for moderate gun control won’t change anyone’s mind.

Do. But there are probably a zillion other forums about them. Also check out ytube. Perhaps we will all learn something. The pre charged pneumatic is pretty cool. I get about 30 good shots a charge. Quieter than a clap of your hand. Cool stuff, but the pellet is so light that a windy day will not work for target shooting. It can drive tacks on a calm day.

To clean it, I shoot an oiled, felt ‘pellet’ through it. :slight_smile: Easy peasy.

I see from your ‘handle’ that you are in the front range I assume that from ‘Back at 5280’. Rifle works fine at over twice that altitude. Gonna end the hi-jack. You are welcome to PM me. I’m still new at this, but it’s fun.

Unoccupied, I trust. :wink:

Yep, the people having their constitutionally protected property stolen from them by force are the terrorists.

So forced confiscation is ok as long as they throw our own fucking tax dollars back at us when it’s over?

The USA has never been a full democracy. It wasn’t built that way and was never planned that way.

That has always been how eminent domain works.

Get back to me when that has a direct correlation with the second amendment.

I wish there was a constitutional amendment to protect my hobby. That’s all I can think of when I hear gun fetishists going on and on about the second amendment. Instead of repealing the second amendment, we should work towards getting an amendment which prevents the government from impinging on our right to street race. I find cars much more fun than guns. “No officer, you can’t give me a ticket. I was racing, not speeding.”

Which is ironic given the correlation cited before between being a gun nut and…being afraid of scary blacks.

Climate change? Every bit of extractable fossil fuel is giong to be burned. I would like to slow the rate down and make it last longer, but Trump is not making much of a difference worldwide. And if our healthcare system is a laughingstock, why do the world’s elite travel to the USA for serious care? You list serious issues, and they should be debated and discussed and solved. Our fundamental rights should not be attacked, however.

And why does everyone mischaracterize ‘Stand Your Ground’?

I read Czarcasm’s OP in that thread. My opinion is that he did not like reason and facts beibg used against his positions and beliefs.

Firearms have been around for the entire history of our nation. Restrictions generally have become more stringent over time, without reducing violent crime, and some have noticed this. But you want to dismiss opposition as racism right off the bat, grouping them whether or not they are white or not, female or not, or left, right, or center.

No, it was not crying wolf. Beto showed that the warnings were for real.

Our hands? My hands? No. The murderers are those toward whom you should direct you anger, with some for the media that sensationalizes their actions.

Nothing you advocate or propose would have changed any of the shootings, unless you think you can wish away every firearm.

Wood is pretty and harder to keep pretty. And cost more. Firearms are tools first.

And the gun nuts you describe- I don’t know any. I see posters (not here) who talk like that, but there are too many to take seriously. The NZ shooter and copycats are still a small percentage of that group.

The citizenry’s firearms should not be out of place where militia operations would take place.

Don’t ascribe those fantasies to anyone because you have no clue what anyone is thinking.

We DO have the right to these infantry type weapons.

Saying I, or any poster here, or anyone else will shoot (innocent) grownups or children unless everyone is disarmed is bullshit.

You want to discriminate even more against the less affluent?

And the militia used the exact same weapons in the field that they kept at home. Why should this be different now?

Are you aware of how many firearms were not turned in in Australia? Or how many have been turned in after New Zealand’s recent laws? Hint: it’s not many.

You demonstrate that you don’t know much of what you are discussing.

1. There are no records of most legally purchased weapons.
    This would impede the rest of your approach.

And I will repeat- the need for protection is not bullshit. People have and do use firearms to protect themselves.

I think Bundy et al. should be arrested, prosecuted, and have the cattle that are grazing for free on public land seized and auctioned to pay his unpaid grazing fees.

But small arms in citizens’ hands may have, and may in the future, prevent unlawful government confrontations or actions. It is a check on the government that would need serious force to overcome. What would our government have that is worth initiating that kind of conflict? Hopefully, none.

Yes, YOUR hands. You’re one of millions of paranoid, ignorant fools who think you have a right to own weaponry whose only function is to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Your pigheadedness costs people lives.

Hi sps49sd ! Thanks for showing up.

I was afraid that I’d caricatured your position:

… but it seems I got you spot on! :slight_smile:

Hi there again, sps49sd ! Are you one of the many willfully obtuse right-wingnuts? Or just stupid?

No one doubts that America has excellent doctors, excellent hospitals and so on. Who said otherwise? Are you really so stupid that you thought this was under debate?

The reason America’s healthcare system is a laughingstock is the high cost — more than TWICE the cost in Germany which is 2nd-most expensive in G7 — and the fact that MANY MILLIONS of Americans are UNINSURED. This is discussed in other threads. Or just Google “Explain things to me like I’m an Idiot.”

In America, when someone collapses on the street they often scream “DON’T phone for an ambulance!!” They don’t want to pay $5000+ for an unnecessary ride.

Here in Thailand my relative, with NO insurance, recently had an epileptic fit and fell off his motorbike. An ambulance was summoned and took him to hospital. Guess how much my relative had to pay? Hint: It starts with ‘Z’ and rhymes with “Nero.”

I hope I didn’t insult you so much you go away, sps49sd. We’d love to hear from you! Very few of the stupid angry white males who vote for Trump have the literacy skills to post on message boards. So we’re sincerely curious to understand your perspective!

Tools for what purpose? How many people die as a consequence of guns being “defensive” tools vs “offensive” tools?

Citizenry has no business playing pretend soldiers. Grow the fuck up.

Yeah, but your shouldn’t. Get the point?

And yet, innocent people (including children) got shot well over 200 times this year alone in mass shootings. Who exactly is doing that if not, “…or anyone else…”? Nitwit.

More than none at all and nobody expected an overnight result. It’s a generational change. It’s going to take time and things will improve as time passes. That’s the point of all this. Not so that you can wank off about how small of a difference a year or two makes.

Fuck off some more right now. Some states do maintain records. Some federal agencies do as well. It’s place to start. If laws change requiring registering, records will improve. Quit trying to weasel that since the perfect solution can’t be had then no solution can be had. That’s a lie you tell yourself and others stupid enough to believe it.

Protection from WHO? I keep asking this question and I have yet to get the answer. Who is coming for you, you paranoid wanker?

If it comes to that, we’re all fucked. And your AR-15, that gives you so many wet dreams now, will be of absolutely no fucking consequence to you if that day comes, because they’ll kill you first, dumbass.

I’m not stupid, I’m not angry, I’m not white, and I was addressing assertions you made.

Assuming I am stupid, and recommending I search “Explain things to me like I’m an Idiot”, reminds me that I’m in the BBQ Pit. Reasonable discussion is lost here, go ahead and rant away, my intention is providing a counterpoint to the invective and spittle best exemplified by BobLibDem.

Nobody has come for me. An individual did come for a family member years ago, and she is glad that she was armed. She was (and is) armed because she made the decision to be prepared for similar events.

People like you want to disarm those who have a self defense need. I hope your name calling does not accomplish your goal.