Will vaccinations be required? [Edited: Will you get a vaccine if legally mandated]

Lets say in May next year they come out with a vaccine. They decide to make it mandatory. If you dont get the vaccine you will not be able to attend school or go into a place of business or use public transportation. Eventually you will risk arrest and forced vaccination. To ensure enforcement people will be required to have a “chip” implanted under their skin which will tell whomever if you’ve been vaccinated or not.

Will you go along with this?

Do you think any of that is likely?

I am anxious to be vaccinated. I’m also expecting it to be a more than once a lifetime vaccination and will gladly get as many as needed to stay alive.

How would any moron be arrested for not getting one? They don’t arrest moron parents for not getting the MMR ones.

However, when a working Covid vaccination is available, there should be no penalty against me for tearing the morons’ skin off their bodies with my bare hands either.

I’m fine with everything up to “or use public transportation”, assuming that there continue to be public health reasons to promote vaccination and they are available at reasonable cost.

I don’t support arrest or forced vaccination.

I think the issue of what to do for kids who need to go to school but have parents who won’t vaccinate them is a thorny problem, but, yeah, we’ve never arrested or forcibly vaccinated random people before and this disease is way less bad than many in the past that we did mass vaccination drives for. Talking about that is alarmist and foolish.

They will never go that far. They will require the shot to go back to school, and many companies will require it. Disneyland and other public places will likely require proof, just a letter. Same with airlines, the TSA will check that too.

The covidiots and antivaxxers can stay at home, with their tin foil hats on.

Most schools require vaccination for measles, etc., and they’ve never needed chips or guns to enforce that. Why do you think this will be suddenly different?

I expect my employer might ask for a note signed by my doctor, or maybe just an affidavit from me that I’ve been vaccinated. I’m okay with that.

Actually doubt that, under any reasonably optimistic expectation for a COVID-19 vaccine (which includes the likely need for updates from each year to at least every few years), at least not by standards usually used to justify and to implement required immunization for school entry.

Kids are the easiest to get vaccinated but (barring a vaccine that provides very long term protection) would benefit from being vaccinated the least.

I can see certain employers requiring it though, especially in health related fields.

IF said vaccine has undergone proper vetting and testing and was not just put out there by fiat to say “hey, we did SOMETHING”…

I am on record as supporting existing mandatory vaccinations for schoolchildren and would welcome if those were allowed NO nonmedical exemption. But indeed it would depend on the way the vaccine works if that way of handling it is even relevant (again, based on what’s the actual test results, not on “OMG do SOMETHIING Think Of The Chliildreeen!!!”)

Yes I foresee eventually some sort of such certification being required for many public-contact jobs, not just health care. And of course an employer being able to just mandate it as company policy and hey, it’s Employment At Will. In the case of some healthcare/food industries I can imagine it becoming an official regulatory mandate (again, in my preference, with no nonmedical exemption).

But nobody’s getting chipped for this.

It’s pure speculation (or is it?). Check out this story: You eventually WILL be chipped.

Because this country is becoming black and white. You go along with the program or you will be punished.

I think this world is becoming a totally new and scary place.

I just don’t see this being required for school or work attendance, except under some extremely limited circumstances, at least not until we know how well and for how long it works, and we’re a LOOOOOONG way from that.

I’m about as pro-vaxxer as they come, and I wouldn’t get it, at least not right away.

What do you mean by “will you go along with this?” Are you assuming none of us want the vaccine? If not, do you think those of us who want it should still pledge to protest this wild scenario by… what? Refusing the vaccine we want? Getting the vaccine but refusing the chip? Taking to the streets?

I don’t anticipate chip-based tracking. Frankly I think it’s a paranoid fantasy. But sure, I’m opposed to putting chips in people. I do support making the vaccine mandatory for school attendance, and I’m open to requiring proof of current vaccination for things like air travel, visiting patients in a hospital or care facility, or working certain jobs. I would be opposed to allowing philosophical or other non-medical exemptions.

What would it take to make an anti-vaxxer out of a pro-vaxxer? And if it happened to you, would you change your stance about mandatory vaccinations?

For many many years, I’ve taken it upon my own initiative to keep up with all my adult immunizations: Flu every year, tdap every 10 years, shingles, pneumonia shots.

But I will be very hesitant to get any Covid-19 vax as long as the Trump administration is in place. I won’t trust any American-developed, American-made, or American-authorized Covid vax while Trump is in office. As soon as Trump is out, or soon thereafter when a Covid vax is available that I can trust, then sure.

What if the current administration mandated everyone get their hydroxychloroquine-and-Lysol vax, upon penalty of some penalty? Would that make an anti-vaxxer out of you?

If a private employer wants to insist employees be vaccinated, wpuld you consider that an infringement of the employee’s rights?

In current America, an oxymoron if ever there was one.

Amusement parks and airlines won’t need to do any of this for the same reason they don’t need to check vaccination records now; they know that enough people will be vaccinated that they don’t have to worry about that stuff.

California pretty much require vaccinations to attend public school.

Seriously, THIS Is what you’re worried about? The article quotes tech experts who predict that maybe in the next generation or by 2067 or 50 years from now, people will probably get chipped instead of wearing ID badges and the like. None of them say the government will force people to get chipped so they can follow them and invade their vanishing privacy.

You should really stop reading dystopian novels.

This I understand and sympathize with. Climate change deniers, conspiracy theorists, people who see the world as black-and-white, anti-vaxxers, are all making this a scary place.

Most states do. And the vaccines mandated generally fit certain criteria.