I may not be able to be vaxxed

Because of a bone marrow problem, I don’t really have much immune system right now. I am undergoing treatment, may be okay in a year. I was already wearing cheap masks to go out, & I still do, even if I forget sometimes.

But I want to remind people that have options to get vaxxed, wear masks, etc. Some of us are just hanging out in the breeze.

I used to work at a doctor’s office and we had a few patients with primary immunodeficiency. We required all patients to wear masks and distance until last August, which was quite late for a business in Florida.

Personally, I got the vaccines as soon as I could. Flu season is coming up, too, so I’ll be getting that shot. I did finally decide to drop the mask this spring, though.

~Max

I’m all for vaccinations. They should be mandatory except in very special cases (like yours).

I am not sure about where the line is drawn on masks though. Mind you, I diligently wore masks when out and about the last three years (or so). I usually do not anymore except when on mass transit. (TBF, I got my first case of COVID a few days ago…fortunately seems very mild).

Is that bad?

I strongly feel that at this point everyone should at this point be able to make their own decisions about masking/not-masking without criticism by others.

I also think that some places, like hospitals, should have the right to insist on masking due to the fact they are places where sick/immunocompromised people are likely to be found.

I am strongly pro-vaccines, except where there is a medical contra-indication. I realize that not everyone shares that view so I am willing to compromise for the sake of getting along in society. I do think some should (outside of medical issues, as noted) be mandated in some circumstances, but if someone wants to live out in the woods and not vaccinate more power to them.

I would not be surprised if the mask mandate continues in doctor’s offices and hospitals just because the risk of spreading disease in general is higher and there are more medically vulnerable people there… I think that’s a good thing.

I’ve posted about this before: We’ve visited Florida numerous times in the past 18 months (aging parents) and mask-wearing was always much less prevalent than up here.

But the real head-scratcher was in February, when we were down there because FIL was in the hospital, in the hospice wing.

Nobody was wearing masks. Not visitors. Not staff.

But there was a dire warning on the doors in the hospice wing (and nowhere else) that you HAD TO WEAR A MASK or RISK LOSING YOUR VISITING PRIVILEGES.

What - are they afraid we might bump off (already dying) Great Uncle George faster or something?

Anyway, back to the OP: we do try to remember to mask in public, if only a cloth mask, partly because there supposedly has been an uptick, partly because we had COVID last year and didn’t especially enjoy it (though we got off lightly, all things considered), and to protect people like the OP by reducing our chances to contribute to the spread.

For various reasons I think it’s reasonable to have a firm “must wear mask” rule in a hospice.

What’s crazy is not having that rule for the entire hospital.

Ron DeSantis has banned mask mandates in Florida.

Our surgeon general also declined to recommend vaccines for kids.

~Max

My hematologist told me to wait until the new vaccine came out, and he seemed to think it was fine for me to be vaxxed, and he’s a hematologist, so okay.

I called my usual pharmacy (Walgreens) to refill some scripts Friday, asked about the new vaccine, and was told that they’d come in that day.

Managed to talk my elderly mother into getting the vaxx too. Went in to get the vaxx Saturday, and we couldn’t get it there yet because of insurance nonsense. There was a big Walmart with a pharmacy not that far away, but I took Ma home instead.

Good for you! Glad you’re approved!

Really?

I am waiting for the new vaxx to arrive but my Walgreens gave me all four vaxx shots I have had previously without once asking for insurance (I have insurance…I guess the government covered those …I dunno…they did not ask and I did not ask).

I just made an appointment, walked in, filled out a short form regarding existing conditions and then got the shot.

Got mine today. I was informed this booster was being paid for by insurance, whereas previous vaccines were paid for by government.

I think the deal is that marketplace and large group plans (anything subject to the Affordable Care Act) must cover the vaccine within 15 days of CDC approval (so September 26), while other non-ACA plans are not required to cover the vaccine but the federal government has assistance programs.

~Max

I got the vaccine Tuesday. Shoulder was kind of sore Wednesday & Thursday.