Will you be observing earth hour?

On Saturday from 8:30 to 9:30 local time, will you be turning off the lights?

Poll to follow.

I wasn’t aware it was happening, so I assume many others will neglect to observe the event due to pure ignorance. I will give it a try if I remember.

It’s a feel-good stunt up there with collecting pull tabs. The organizers always think it’s a great idea and it accomplishes something less than nothing. (Because it diverts what could be real attention, donations, effort and thought away from the problem.)

Do I have to turn my computer off too?

I think it’s lights only.

Meaningless gesture that I was unaware until right now. I might turn on extra.

So just turn your screen brightness down to zero and you can still use your computer.

:smiley:

What on earth does Earth Hour commemorate? Is it just supposed to raise awareness about energy conservation or something?

Energy conservation is not about sitting in the dark for a portion of the day. It is about turning off lights you aren’t using, and using energy efficient light bulbs.

Reminds me of all that useless walking-around to cure stuff…

(I am grouchy because I live in CA and have been conserving water for months. I mean really conserving, not setting aside one hour a year to leave the faucets turned off.)

I won’t be observing earth hour because I’ve never heard of it, and because it sounds stupid.

8:30 to 9:30 on Saturday? I expect we will be in the hot tub then, so sure. :slight_smile:

For every light you turn off, I’m turning on three. Take that, Mother Nature!

Never. The only purpose it serves is to let people pat their own backs for making a meaningless gesture.

No, even though I support the environment this gesture is more of the type that I would like punch the pink ribbon fascist Republicans Koman people for.

Is that a.m. or p.m.? I live in Pennsylvania so it’s always gray outside.

I’m always at work on Saturday nights. I don’t think they’ll be turning out the lights at the animal ER any time soon.

No, it’s more like “Buy Nothing Day” - do something that’s somewhere between useless and self-inconveniencing to prove… something to… the small audience paying attention, likely the choir.

Thanks for telling me about this. I plan to turn on all my lights and electronics, in celebration of abundance and technology.

I won’t, because I’m not using power guzzling short lived sickly yellow incandescents.

Exactly. If we use less electricity the hydro companies just raise the price so what’s the point? I can think of many other ways to conserve energy and help the environment than sitting around my house in the dark for an hour.

Yup.

Wow, 50-0 against. That’s lights out, alright, just not in the way the organizers expected.