Window of Death (Bird Death)

In the relatively short time we have been in our house, it’s become obvious that one window in particular is the instrument of an avian genocide in our neighborhood. There must be something particularly enticing about the reflection, because birds fly into it ALL THE TIME.

The glass was broken when we moved in, and at first we assumed that was a result of a house sitting empty for a year. After replacing it, it was broken by a bird flying into it. The glass was replaced a second time, and sure enough, this weekend it’s broken again. Even when the glass doesn’t break on contact, we often hear the depressing thump of a bird meeting its maker, and I have to clean up the mortal remains of one of our feathered friends about once a week. I am a kind-hearted person who loves animals and this makes me cry.

At the same time, I’m also thinking “Stupid birds – be more smart!” How can I discourage them from hurling themselves into this window? Having the blinds opened or closed doesn’t seem to make a difference.

When I worked at IBM they posted life-sized decals of birds flying on the problem windows. Seems like this would have the opposite effect though.

Life size transfers of raptors would be more effective.

Something like this PDF silhouette of a raptor might help, let us know what happens if you try it:

http://my.dteenergy.com/home/pdfs/raptor.pdf

“I was the shadow of the waxwing slain
By the false azure in the windowpane;”
–V. Nabokov, Pale Fire

(This is what the voices in my head chant whenever this kind of bird death comes up.)

I found a mourning dove dead by my dining room window last night. This is the imprint he left behind: imagecave.com - contact with domain owner | Epik.com
I usually draw the blinds to avoid this , but forgot yesterday.