Windows 10 and nvidia fx 3500

I have been having driver problems. Both Win10 and nVidia do not list an updated driver. Does anyone know of one that exists, or should I plan on buying a new video card?

That graphics card is over ten years old. I don’t think nVidia supports anything older than Fermi, which came out in 2010. Yeah, probably time for a new one.

What are your specific problems? Is it that you can’t update to Windows 10?

According to this page, you can force the update using Windows Update. And then you can install the latest Windows 8 driver (apparently 307.74) and get everything to work.

Personally, that’s what I’d do, especially since you are already apparently anticipating getting a new card eventually. Might as well see if it’ll work.

As always, I suggest actually doing a full backup of your old Windows partition. It’s a much cleaner restore than the one provided by Microsoft.

Somehow I let myself be auto-upgraded to Win10 and now the video card causes intermittent problems. I actually have two cards driving three monitors and one of the cards works fine, the other not so much. I will try the Win 8 driver and see if that works.

I wanted to bump this thread as I’m also having a display/monitor issue following the Win10 Upgrade. Win10 wants to use 1900 x 1200 (recommended setting) but then the display “overflows” my screen (bottom and sides are not visible). 1900 x 1080 produces similar results. 1776 x 1000 fits, but the display is not ‘sharp’ (especially text).

Win10 recognizes my monitor (ViewSonic VX2835wm) and my video card (AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series). According to the AMD Catalyst Control Center my driver is up to date. I think the issue is the monitor since it is pretty old - but I did not have these issues under Win7. I’ll probably be building a new system later this year and may replace the monitor then. But I’m wondering if there are any other settings I can adjust in the meantime to make the display better.

The monitor menu has setting for both automatic and manual image adjust - but these are greyed out.

I wanted to bump this and add a data point. Win 10 definitely does play well with the older monitor. I have the PC set up to turn off the display after an hour of inactivity. Win10 does not do this as gracefully as Win7. The monitor power button is blue when turned on, and yellow when the PC does a soft power off (that’s how it worked under Win 7). Under Win10 the button does not turn yellow and the screen goes to blue instead of turning off, and the power button remains blue (instead of going to yellow).