Wonder Woman 1984 (WW84) Seen it [Spoilers]

I enjoyed the first movie. Though I don’t enjoy many DC movies.
In fact Wonder Woman and Shazam are probably about it in the modern run.
Mouseover filler
This one was slow paced. Not very much fun. I wondered if it was the same director. It was. The entire premise was very weak. The writing I felt was real poor.

I hope those looking forward to it get more out of it than I did. But I was really disappointed in this one. Even the Invisible Jet reference was far too labored.

Adding a poll:

Please rate this movie from 1-10

0 voters

I found it to be incredibly bad - slow - took way to long to ‘get to the point’ -the resolution was incredibly hammy and the action way to — well - missing in action.

All of the ‘good parts’ were revealed in the trailers - literally don’t think there was one action aspect that wasn’t.

This sets a new, lower, bar in the DC movies.

I still thought Aquaman was the worst I’ve seen. well seen the first 45 minutes before giving up in abject disgust. But this was less interesting than Batman v. Superman. At least that had the Wonder Woman scenes to make it a little better. This was just “why?”

yup - aquaman also has the benefit of some narly affects and photography - there is a scene in WW1984 that is so obviously shot wrong its almost comical.

Yeah, I liked the first WW (aside from the ending fight that most people hated) but this one was bloated and slow-paced and full of “Wait, that doesn’t make sense” moments. I don’t think that there were any moments that struck me as especially cool and plenty that struck me as dumb.

I was a fan of the first movie and was greatly looking forward to this, but I gave up after a little over an hour. The writing was terrible, there were both scenes and coincidences that could’ve been cleaned up with some minor changes in writing. Just what the heck.

I do have to say, they did greatly duplicate the feel of some very bad 80s movies.

Yup. Bad.

From the initial over the top poor Barbara to the complete lack of any concern that an innocent man’s life consciousness was being removed to make room for her boyfriend’s consciousness to be back to Gadot’s lack of any meaningful affect to the dumb plot to the abundance of stupid to the lack of anything worthwhile.

The first was so good. A shame this one was so bad.

You know, I have a easy bar for movies to clear when it comes to some mindless action entertainment. And yet, when the credits rolled on this movie, I turned to my dog, sleeping next to me, and said, “That was really fucking bad.”

I will have to disagree with the rest of you; I really enjoyed it. Maybe I’m just too easy, I don’t know, but I enjoyed the story, and I liked the fact that it wasn’t wall-to-wall action. I thought that Kristen Wiig did a great job, and I thought that Gal Gadot was excellent again.

It wasn’t as good as the first one, but I didn’t expect it to be. I’m surprised to see that everyone else on this thread despised it. YMMV, I guess.

When I found out Kristin Wiig was going to be in it, I didn’t hold out much hope. I’m not her biggest SNL fan, so I didn’t hope for much from her acting. She definitely Wiig’ed it up in her early scenes as Barbara, but if that was the worst of it, it wouldn’t have ruined the movie. I can’t exactly put my finger on one or two things. . .It seemed that nothing much was working for me.

It was slow moving, very drawn out before we got to the action, which is what we really want from a superhero movie. I didn’t care for Wiig’s character, and I was supposed to. The lack of interest or concern for what happened to the guy that Steve Trevor took over was puzzling. Pedro Pascal had a lot of screen time, and I’m not sure all of it was spent wisely, economically, or well.

My standards have dropped since the COVID outbreak, though, so I watched it all, and it was far from the worst thing I’ve seen this year. Maybe they caught lightning in a bottle with the first movie, which no one expected anything from.

Did everyone catch the mid-credits scene? It was a nice nod, as long as that’s about as far as it goes. I’m not looking forward to a septuagenarian superhero.

That was may biggest problem with the first Wonder Woman. I really liked it, but anytime something exciting was going to happen, I was watching something I’d already seen in the trailer. For this one I skipped all trailers.

I liked it well enough, and would have said it was my second favorite DC movie, until somebody upthread mentioned Shazam, so maybe third favorite, with the original Wonder Woman first.

Having said that, I completely see all of the things people complain about, I guess they just didn’t bother me too much. It did get slow, I wondered about the not-Steve guy, Kristin Wiig occasionally bothered me the way she can, and all that. The biggest problem I had was that the action effects seemed pretty bad in places. Almost like when they realized it wasn’t going to be in theaters they only paid for the B grade effects.

Yeah, that was not particularly good. The writing just got lazier and lazier as the movie went on. The ultimate evil plan was a ridiculous contrivance. And let’s just say the resolution was more than a tad optimistic given the current state of the world (okay, that’s not entirely their fault). It was an okay watch for the evening, but I’m glad I didn’t pay for a theater ticket.

Any time a super hero movie seems to include 2 big bad guys it never seems to go well. I didn’t think it was terrible, but it was over bloated. Tried to jam too much in without really making sense of it.

I enjoyed it. I loved the basic “genie in the bottle” plot and Pedro Pascal made it work.

Superpower v Superpower battles were kept to a minimum, which is a good thing. Kristen Whig was very believable as the dork cum villain.

I agree some of the scenes, such as Diana and her guy crush flying through the clouds wondering at the fireworks slowed things down, but overall I found the movie very entertaining.

And yes, I was there: male attitudes to females were that bad.

I was eagerly anticipating WW84. It wasn’t the worst movie I watched yesterday, but keep in mind I also watched a Hallmark Christmas movie with Lacey Chabert.

I kind of understand Max Lord being power crazy, although the flashbacks would have better shown his state of mind earlier in the movie. Barbara going from milquetoast to psycho didn’t make sense to me.

I loved Wonder Woman. I re-watched it yesterday before WW84. As someone alluded to upthread, I thought it botched the climax, but up until then, it was just really solid, with moments of sheer brilliance.

After that, WW84 was really disappointing. It was just not good.

It managed to combine the some of the worst elements of a prequel and a sequel.

Prequels, by their nature, have inherent continuity problems. How do you have character growth and development and, especially for super hero prequels, big exciting events, without contradicting the already established continuity? In this case, apparently by just saying screw it.

Batman v Superman and Justice League established that Wonder Woman had cut herself off from the world for a century, and the only trace of her that either Lex Luthor, with his vast resource, or Batman, the World’s Greatest Detective with Bruce Wayne’s vast resources, could find was a single photo from World War I. Yet, she was apparently active, as Wonder Woman, in costume, the whole time, including foiling random robberies. The movie vaguely hand waves towards this. In one scene. Where she knocks out some security cameras. After she’s already revealed herself. And then there’s the whole bit where she invades the White House and brawls with the Secret Service and White House police…

Wonder Woman in 1984 is also apparently Silver Age Superman, and randomly manifests new super powers. Which she randomly doesn’t have later in her career.

And then there’s the trap superhero sequels have been falling into since Batman Returns, almost 30 years ago. There are just way too many characters and plotlines. We have to establish Wonder Woman as she exists in 1984, and her character arc. And get the Wishstone. And Max Lord’s character arc. And Barbara Minverva’s character arc. And establish Barbara’s and Diana’s friendship. And Barbara’s and Max’s relationship (that the movie seems to forget about halfway through). And the return of Steve Trevor, and his relationship with Diana. And all of that after a lengthy opening sequence on Themiscyra that doesn’t really directly tie into the plot (and has its own continuity issues). The result is none of the plotlines or character arcs get enough time.

There’s also a lot of Idiot Plotting. The Smithsonian keeps display aircraft out on the tarmac, flight ready, and fully fueled? And a two seat jet trainer has enough fuel to fly directly from Washington, D.C. to Cairo? And back? There just happen to be highly classified briefing materials on the magical comm system Lord needs just kind of sitting around on big poster boards in the Oval Office when he comes in, and no one bothers to take them down, and the President wasn’t even supposed to be there until he’s Wished there? And so on.

And the Wishstone plot is incoherent. At first, it seems like it retroactively creates coincidences to fulfill wishes. It’s actually a plot point called out in dialogue that it works that way during Max’s meeting with Simon Stagg (“Some magical coincidence will get you out of my way”, then the FBI shows up investigating Stagg for financial fraud). But then it just starts creating world-altering miracles out of thin air. And it’s a plot point that the Wishstone can only grant a person one wish, even when Max wants to grant someone another wish, but then for no apparent reason, Barbara is able to add another wish?

And the whole situation is a huge continuity issue for later movies. I was actually expecting them to use the old “I wish none of this ever happened” trope. It would have been cheesy, but at least it would have explained why the events of the movie seemed to have no impact on the world. I mean, there was apparently a day in 1984 when wishes came true, the kingdom of Bialya suddenly re-established itself in the middle of Cairo with a mega-wall that appeared out of thin air, and the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. went to war and launched nuclear missiles at each other - which magically vanished in mid-flight, and then both sides just…forgot about it?

I could go on, but, the whole thing was just a mess.

And, as mentioned upthread, Steve Trevor’s reappearance effectively murdered an innocent man, and both he and Diana know that - we get an entire scene with them discussing the life of the man Steve has replaced, and they both then just kind of…wander off, and don’t mention it again.

And while I appreciated seeing Linda Carter again, and including her, as a legendary Amazon hero, was a nice touch, the actual execution was just clumsy and cringe-inducing.

Oh, and one bit early on bugged me. The four robbers in the mall. How did Wonder Woman know the two inside men were involved? Sure, they ran, but everyone was running, because “Gun!”. And they were pleading with the one guy to put the girl down, but so was everyone else. I actually liked it that the other three robbers abandoned their own getaways to try to talk hostage-taker guy down. It was a nice, humanistic touch - the other three were robbers, not child-murderers. They endangered their own freedom to try to help the girl. And for that…they got their asses beaten by Wonder Woman. I mean, I get not just letting them go after an armed robbery, but…

Well, that part at least made sense. I mean, as with so much else, it was kind of a mess. But it was a plot point that the cost of Barbara’s wish was her humanity. She wasn’t just a milquetoast. We see her earlier in the movie giving a meal to a homeless man she apparently knows by name and also apparently frequently gives food to. It was not at all clearly shown, but I think Diana and Barbara are supposed to be establishing a genuine friendship, with Diana attracted to Barbara because Barbara is genuinely nice. The Wishstone takes that from her, which is supposed to make Barbara a tragic not-quite-villain.

And this is one part of the movie that I actually liked. Cheetah and Max Lord are both tragic figures, undone by their own weakness, not quite true villains. They get redemption arcs. The movie just shorts and hamfists those arcs, because see above about cramming in too many plotlines and character arcs.

The main problem was being too long. Wiig wasn’t as bad as I thought she would be, that’s the best I can say about that. The special effects were weird at times, there are these scenes where WW is moving at a normal speed against a background moving much faster, I found that annoying. And then the stupid moments like a guy who last flew a plane in WWI gets in a modern jet aircraft and knows how to power it up and fly it. And then building the stupid on top of the stupid they do the invisibility thing there.

To me, a potentially good movie was crowded out by poor decisions.

I did like the Lynda Carter cameo at the end.

I found it aggressively bad. As if it was trying to make me hate it. The hero of the story doesn’t bat an eyelash that her wish causes her boyfriend to commandeer another human being consciousness. The mechanics of the wish are not made clear(ish) until after the plot requires the viewer to understand these mechanics making it incomprehensible. She all of a sudden remembers that she has two powers (flying and the ability to make things invisible) that she somehow forgot about; look, it’s fine if WW has these powers, but as the writer/director YOU set the rules for the universe, so it sucks when you break them.

There have been a few lowpoints in the superhero genre, but this one beat any of them by a mile for me.

I laughed that they immediately followed it up by telling you who it was just in case you didn’t get it.

Even at the beginning, my wife and I were saying “Man, Wonder Woman’s not a great hero right now between trashing that mall’s security cameras and throwing a bunch of thieves down a story into a police car and smashing the roof.” The whole “Hey my dead boyfriend’s soul is possessing this engineer guy’s body but whatever” thing was just bizarre. The stone’s picking “Well, you’re a nice person so I guess I want that?” didn’t seem to make sense. Everyone else suffered an impactful loss but, if you’re a good person and you become a bad person with a bunch of power, you’re not going to miss being “good” because you’re bad. Barbara never really lamented “Oh, I miss being nice” because she was evil now and didn’t give a fuck.

When Barbara said “People like me have nothing” because she, uh, wears glasses and is ungainly in heels, my wife actually yelled out from the couch “Bitch, you’re a fucking DOCTOR working for the SMITHSONIAN!”

For as dumb as Steve just hopping into a modern jet and flying it around was, I actually liked the Invisible Jet contrivance. It’s more “Hidden” than literally invisible (no “hur hur you’d just see WW in the air”) and she doesn’t do it all the time because it’s a one way trip to Invisible Land.

Feels as though a guy who can track some forsaken artifact across time and globe could do better for himself than running a Ponzi scheme. Did he learn about this in his Time-Life Mysteries of the Mayans book? Now THAT would have been pretty 1984 of them!