Wonder Woman 1984 (WW84) Seen it [Spoilers]

I actually thought it might’ve been going for some sort of meta-80’s-action-movie-vibe with the opening mall sequence - “Oh, hey, they’re not just going for a 1980’s look-and-feel, they’re doing it all - cheesy direction, laughably clunky antagonists, crappy effects and action … wait, why the fuck would they do that? Ut-oh…”

I somehow missed this comment until I re-read a couple of posts in the thread.

That was actually a call-back to the first movie. That’s exactly what he said and did as he made his final goodbye to her, before she went to confront Ares and he went to his death blowing up the Gotha bomber and the super-gas weapons. I think what was supposed to be happening there is that by him re-creating that final moment of pure love, she was able to see him with love’s eyes, and see Steve’s soul, not the shell of the man whose body he was occupying. Or something.

Like a lot of moments in the movie, it’s actually sweet, if you can figure out the convoluted mess it’s embedded in. And ignore the fact what happened to the poor guy who’s consciousness was effectively murdered to bring Steve back…

If you slow the montage down a huge amount, you’ll see there is a cheetah wishing it could eat an antelope. They don’t show it, but I assume in the tie-in comic we’ll find out the cheetah lost it’s spots and runs real slow.

Instead, she took off her pants - yay Me To!

So - did the VERY FIRST guy that got his wish from the stone recant it? the coffee guy?

It’s all for naught.

So Diana tells Chris Pine that the fancy winged armor apparently came from Robin Wright’s character, who was killed in battle while wearing it? Even though we saw her die in the first film after being shot when the Germans landed on the island, and Chris Pine was there and also saw her die. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :woman_facepalming:

Did anyone else notice that it seemed like half the movie was temp scored with tracks from “Inception”? The music playing during the big scene when Diana learns how to fly is the exact same track from the end of “Inception.” Trying to save money by re-using Hans Zimmer music or what.

I didn’t notice the similarity, but if it was the same music as part of the Inception score, perhaps that’s because it wasn’t possible for the orchestra to assemble during the past year to record the music that was written for this movie?

No, it came from Linda Carters character.

That was Linda Carter in the flashback battle scene!? Wow I really thought it was Robin Wright.

They intentionally did not let you see who was wearing the armor in that scene so they could do the big reveal in the post credit scene. You are not supposed to be able to tell who it was in the flashback.

Oh, it looked like Linda Carter to me in the flashback.

There was even a statue of her shown in the little Diana flashback at the beginning of the movie, i think Robin Wright was even the one who pointed it out.

Robin Wright’s character was Antiope. The armor belonged to Asteria. The armor was lost to the Amazons when Asteria stayed behind to hold off the men who had enslaved them while the rest of the Amazons escaped to Themiscyra, before Diana was born. Asteria was presumed to have been killed by the men. Diana later found the armor at some undetermined before 1984, during her exile.

Is that where they got the plane? My wife and I are watching it now and we though it was an airport. But still, Chris Pine was one step away from pulling the visor down and finding keys.

And he can fly this thing?

The building they walk through to get to the tarmac had Smithsonian signage, Diana clearly knows where she’s going and uses her Smithsonian personnel badge to enter, there are several historic aircraft sitting on the tarmac, and the security guards and vehicles that respond had Smithsonian livery. It seemed to me to clearly be a Smithsonian annex at an airfield.

They had an air traffic tower as well. Does the Smithsonian have that kind of thing?

I loved when the children were shown in the road during the exciting chase scene. My wife and I were both, “What’s next? Where is the old lady with the walker? Or the mother with a baby in a stroller?”

In the real world, they have this location next to Dulles Airport.

I just watched Pixar’s Soul. It was just released to Disney+.
This was a good and well paced movie.

I was at the Udvar-Hazy Center about 4 years ago. It’s HUGE. If you’ve been to the Air and Space museum on The Mall, it would fit in a small corner.

In the real world, Udvar-Hazy wasn’t opened until 2003. I assumed it was a similar sort of annex, though. The ATC would have belonged to whatever airfield it was (maybe Dulles), while the building they walked through, the planes on display next to it, and the security for that section all belonged to the Smithsonian.

Again, though, I think we’ve now put more thought into this than the screenwriters did.

Ahh thank you! I’ve only seen the first film and know nothing about the tv show or comics so I heard an “A” name and thought they were talking about Robin Wright.