Wondering if anyone else remembers a very old computer game

I’ve been racking my brain to remember the name of a very old text-only game, probably played it around 1984-1987 sometime on a Apple II…

So I checked out this list: List of Apple II games - Wikipedia

But nothing looked familiar

The game was kind of a fantasy adventure where your character sets out to defeat some sort of magical wizard/king/villain, and the basic mechanic that I remember is that you talked to various creatures, the bear people, or the unicorns, or the dwarves, and assemble an army of allies that could take on the villain’s army.

I mostly remember the game would give you a hint as to how the battle was going to go by listing how many of your allies showed up like:

'Your
5,000 dwarves
350 unicorns
23 griffons

attack the enemy with

8,200 wights
2,000 minotaurs

etc.’

Anyone have memories or thoughts about what game it might have been or what similar games might have existed?

King’s Bounty?

King’s Bounty seems way more complicated than this game was; it was also definitely not as late as 1990, there were no graphics at all, just text - it was a contemporary of Aztec and Choplifter (I think we got a set of games from someone and it likely had those two in it also)

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Fortress of the Witch King has text along those lines.

Aha! It wasn’t Fortress of the Witch King, but I followed your link and it was listed there - it was The Sword of Zedek

Thanks! You totally got me to the right place - I would never have remembered that name, and it doesn’t even appear in the list of Apple II games on wikipedia!

It seems I actually played it in a release called ‘Pythagoras and the Dragon’ which explains why I didn’t recognize it as ‘The Sword of Zedek’

I say this with love…

Is there a way to get out of SNFaulkner’s love without using the wizard key? :wink: