Words found in low-end motel names

“Color TV”

Somewhat off-topic, but I’ve noticed that the majority of business names with initials and ampersands have “J” as the first initial; e.g. J&B Towing, J&R Collision, J&D Welding, and so on.

The name isn’t necessarily all of it.

If the denizens of the motel show signs of permanence, such as BBQ grills and inflated kiddie wading pools outside the doors, or cars being reconditioned in the parking lot, then drive on, sister, drive on!

Nope. It was the one downtown. You can tell how long it’s been since we stayed in NO. The hotel was pretty, the valet parking was very nice. Otherwise, the service ruined the entire trip. I worked in a Radisson, and that was nowhere close to what I was expecting.

Wow. Not only were we there about the same time (early June), we also ended up with a full refund of our stay. I paid for the valet parking: it was the only thing that was worth it in the entire place.

My favorite was one I stayed at in Michigan. It had been a Super 8 at some point but had last seen renovation during the Ford administration. As a result, they lost their right to be a Super 8. The owner pondered this terrible fate for like 30 seconds or so and then painted a giant “7” over the “8”.

Super 7 was actually pretty nice and I enjoyed the stay and the story behind the name.

By the week. Or month.

The Patels are probably Americans by definition and tend to be proud of that, so they put “American Owned” wherever they can. Staying at a place that’s American owned is not racist, it’s patriotic. American is not a race.

Now if it said “White Owned”, it’d be a different story.

My bad experience was with “America’s Best Value Inn” (Pine Bluff, Arkansas), which was absolutely the worst motel I’ve ever been in. Filthy, non-working A/C, shower and toilet, people sleeping in the parking lot, people banging on the door at 4 am. And it was prepaid non-refundable reservations, checking in at 2 am, with no hope of getting a room anywhere else and too exhausted to drive to the next town.

I can’t say anything about the service there, I just worked on their printers, but the place looked nice and clean and newly renovated. Now that I’m remembering though, Radisson dumped the place a few months before Katrina and another big hotel corp. bought it and it became the Park Plaza. The place is still closed, which is unfortunate because the building has a lot of history. It was the high class Jung Hotel and dates back over 100 years.

Unfortunately, any address on Canal Street over 1200 is getting into a rough area and if you go a couple blocks up Canal from the old Jung Hotel, there are a couple of really bad ones that you wouldn’t want to set foot inside (check out Canal Street Hotel on tripadvisor.com).

That’s what I was thinking!

I was just commenting yesterday about a hotel in San Francisco, whose sign proudly proclaims
RCA COLOR TV

Look kids! It’s not only color TV, but it’s RCA! Fancy! I’ll bet they even fold over the end of the toilet paper here!

Not so much the words in the sign, but if the doors to the rooms are painted in that hideous powder blue color, that’s pretty much a sign to find another place.

I’ll stick to words in the name and not the wonderful amenity signs they all have.

Lodge
Cabin
View
Log
Woods
Rustic
Strip
Lane
Housekeeping
Club
Shack
Route
Pub
Garden
Kitchen
Rest
Ye
Olde
Ma
Pa
Mom
Pop
Seafood
Harbor
Depot
Suites

hourly.

Ye forgot ye olde ‘cozy,’ ‘cozee,’ and ‘pines.’

Ye Olde Rustic Log Cabin View Cozy Pines Value Inn

Would you ever eat at Kathy’s Kountry Kitchen? I’d be afraid that the vegetable of the day is peas and those little square carrots.

You would have to eat there first and tell me it was worth going there. I’m not eating those peas and square cut carrots with a slice of meatloaf. I did like a place called The Country Kitchen. It was run by the parents of the guy that opened Culver’s. He even worked there sometimes if I remember correctly.

I just remembered another word often in bad motel names.
Cozy

As a kid I remember eating at a place called Kountry Kitchen or something like that. The sign made it seem like real down home cookin’.

The vegetables were indeed square, the mashed potatoes were instant, the meat was frozen and deep fried, and the waitress looked like a rooster.

I remember in those days going out to restaurants and the waitron would always offer mashed potatoes as a side. My parents would always ask if they were real or instant, and were always disappointed in the answer. Almost no restaurants served real potatoes back then.

That’s really weird to think about these days.

Any motel where my parents will stay. I love you dearly, Mom & Dad, and you’re otherwise smart people, but if there’s a low-end motel around, you will find it and stay at it. If we go on a trip and stay in a hotel, I’m going to have to insist on picking the place for us (and actually making reservations before we leave, which you will never do). Please don’t take it personally, but I learned as a prospective grad student that not all hotels have burn marks from an iron on the carpeting, or faucets put on backwards so that the one that says “H” produces cold water.

*Ooh *- good one!