Workable solution, or just gross?

Can you make tomato soup with soy milk instead of cow’s milk?

Wait. (Picturing one word responses like, “yes”, and “no”.)

Can you make tomato soup with soy milk instead of cow’s milk and have it be palatable?

I’ll say “Probably, but Gross.”

Actually, the re-wording still won’t avoid a yes/no answer by the smart aleks in the group.

Lemme try again. What is your opinion/experience with making tomato soup with soy milk instead of cow’s milk? Tell me about how it turned out for you, and if you would recommend it or not and why.

Discuss.

Are we talking milk allergies here, or what? There are any number of tomato soup recipes that have no milk in them, soy or otherwise.

I’ve had Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup with soy milk instead of regular twice in the last week or so, and it’s fine. I don’t even notice any of the usual soy milk flavor in it. And I’m fine with soy milk, I gave up the regular kind years ago.

We use soy milk in other heated things - e.g., Oatmeal, French Toast, etc. - and it tastes fine. Great, even. So I am inclined to think it would taste fine. Great, even?

Are you making the soup from scratch, or using some sort of soup powder or concentrate?
Secondly, if you are just looking at avoiding Lactose then perhapse Coconut Milk would work better, there are many good Thai soups based on cocount milk and I think a tomato version would work.

Actually, I have PCOS and have read that I should avoid dairy. (Ho, man… my whole LIFE is cheese!!!)

I do love me some Campbell’s Tomato Soup, though. So, I was wondering if I could make it with soy milk… Since the responses so far are positive for using soy milk as a substitute in general, I’ll have to give it a try. (Side note: I was out of milk the other day and made my soup with half-and-half. Not bad, but I wouldn’t do it again… )

I think, however, I’m just going to start making homemade and avoid all the excess sugar/high fructose corn syrup.

I’ve done it before, using Silk plain soy milk. It’s not bad. You can definitely notice the difference, but I wouldn’t say it’s better or worse, just… different. I prefer it with regular milk, personally.

Sure.