A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece
C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia
D: Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia
E: Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark
F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia
G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal
H: Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland

Really gotta love this draw for USA. Not the easiest, maybe, but Mexico may be more challenged.

I’m happy enough with our group.

Groups A and G will be the most interesting I think. South Africa will have their work cut out for them in A and the fight for second place in G will be crazy.

Great draw for the U.S. Which is the toughest group? Perhaps G or E?

If we (USA) don’t get out of the group, shut down the operations, and start anew.

Amazingly easy result for the US. Can’t ask for any better, and a good opportunity to prove that we are actually a class team by winning the group. And win would be a good idea, since the second place team will face the Germans in the Round of 16.

Group G tough. Group B the toughest, I think. The Greeks yield goals very reluctantly. The Nigerians are usually good in their Group, and the Argentinians will be out to prove they are really supposed to be there. And South Korea have done well in the past.

A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France - not as easy as it looked at first. France should take this group and I’d be tempted to pick RSA to pull an upset of Uruguay and Mexico. A call here or there and they might advance, but if it comes to Mexico v Uruguay I’d go with Uruguay.

B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece - Nigeria might be the class of this group if Paunch is still coaching Argentina, but with any other group I’d pick Argentina to top it. As it is, this may be the most wide open group. Greece might rope-a-dope their way through, and I have no idea what to expect from SK.

C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia - England and USA should finish 1 and 2. That said, I’ve not actually seen Algeria play.

D: Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia - Germany or Serbia should win this group.

E: Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark - Netherlands should go 3-0 here. I’m leaning toward Denmark for second but wouldn’t be surprised by Cameroon.

F: Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia - Italy by a landslide, then probably Paraguay.

G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal - tough group. Everyone destroys DPRK and then beat up each other. Brazil on top with Ivory Coast to place.

H: Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland - Honduras may stay in the game with Switzerland, but Spain and Chile will advance.

Upon review, it’s no contest that it’s G.

Group G, definitely.

BBC commentators very happy with England’s group. Talking about D being a tough group as Ghana are pretty strong.

I think G is the toughest, with D just behind, but E might be the most level of all.

D is a pretty interesting group too. I don’t really think there’s an obvious group of death. Anybody but North Korea or New Zealand in G and it’s clearly the hardest, but it’s basically a rest day for everybody. Maybe they can pull an upset out somewhere and go down in WC lore though.

When was the last time the Mexicans failed to advance out of the group stage (not including their 1990 ban from the finals)?

Not a bad draw for England, great draw for USA getting probably the second weakest seeds and lesser teams from the other pots, although the murmuring has already started here about Algeria actually being pretty useful :D. I already can’t wait for England - USA. Revenge for 1950 shall be ours!

Fate did not take this opportunity to punish France for that handball - they got a dream draw considering they weren’t seeded. Good draw for Italy too.

All in all that’s one of the most balanced World Cup draws I can remember. The only contender for Group of Dreath is the Brazil/Portugal one, but I think we make too much of the GoD idea anyway. Portugal are in that position because, quite frankly, they aren’t that good at the moment. Nor are Brazil, really.

Interesting information (based upon FIFA rankings)

The Group with the best ranked lowest-ranked team: Group C - Slovenia 33

The Group with the best third-lowest team: Group G - Ivory Coast 16 (followed closely by Group H with Switzerland at 18)

Do we know, already, where each of our games will be played? I can find the time and date. Is the first one in Durban?
Group CMatch Date Venue Results
5 12 June Rustenburg England - USA
6 13 June Polokwane Algeria - Slovenia
22 18 June Johannesburg Slovenia - USA
23 18 June Cape Town England - Algeria
37 23 June Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth Slovenia - England
38 23 June Tshwane/Pretoria USA - Algeria

Have to chase down the ELO or NS rankings later.

Neither here nor there, but I’m really glad the US will have a match at Ellis Park. That’s just a really cool looking stadium, and should be condusive to a really lively atmosphere.