World of Warcraft

Any Dopers in the beta? Or planning on playing it when it comes out?

For anyone interested, here’s some of the screenshots I took over the Alpha/Beta.

http://www.blizzplanet.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=139

Is this Warcraft gone all EverCrack or something? Please say it ain’t so.

Sure is. Warcraft goes MMORPG…and it absolutely rules. :smiley:

Most fun I’ve had in an MMORPG in years, so far, though I’m not sure how crazy I am about some of the changes they’ve put in today…ah well, if people don’t like it, I’m sure they’ll adjust them…the devs have been really amazing about listening to and using beta tester feedback to improve the game. (Unlike, oh, darn near every other MMO I’ve beta’d the last few years. =p )

I’ve heard nothing but good things about this game and i am really looking foward to playing it, which is saying alot for a jaded MMORPG veteran like myself used to dissapointment and pain. I didn’t get in the current beta but i have friends who have and they are raving about it. What new changes went in today if you dont mind me asking?

Patch notes are on the main page of the WoW site. http://worldofwarcraft.com/

We had another thread on it not too long ago that moved me from “Eh” to “Can’t wait to play it.” And Penny Arcade’s little blurbs on it from time to time make it sound great!

I never had even the slightest desire to play any MMORPG before, but WoW looks like great fun. Part of the reason I’m interested is because it’s by Blizzard. I’ve yet to play a Blizzard game that I didn’t like.

I’ll definitely try it out when it arrives.

My sentiments exactly, Blackknight. Blizzard games are consistently da bomb, and this one looks to be no exception; I expect I’ll be MMORPGing in by the end of the year.

Daniel

It really is what you’d expect from Blizzard – it doesn’t make a ton of innovations to the standard MMORPG, it just takes all the aspects from existing games, does them really really well, and then tunes the hell out of the gameplay.

I’m hoping beta spots open pretty soon so my friends can get in; I haven’t had much luck forming parties in the beta so far. Maybe we should start a Doper name list? (I’ve got a Lvl 12 or so human warlock named Hoss, and a Lvl 10 dwarf rogue named Rooty).

Also, I’m hoping my download finishes soon. Even over a DSL, I’m getting around 10K/second, and it’s predicting it won’t be done downloading until tomorrow!

I wonder if this game is even going to be playable on my machine (466MHz Mac, OS X). WarCraft III is just barely playable, if I use all the lowest settings.

This game and City of Heroes are the first MMORPG’s I’ve been really intrigued by.

Blizzard’s shtick isn’t innovation, it’s refinement, and polish. They’re very good at incorporating all the good ideas from other games, noting and avoiding the mistakes, and the result is always incredibly polished. They go the extra mile, and that really makes a difference.

World of Warcraft should be interesting.

WoW does look extremely polished (from the preview blurb - sorry, not in beta), however I am dissapointed that it doesn’t seem to try to break any new ground.

I played Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot and Eve-Online for a few months each and got bored of the very formualic approach. Quest, Hunt, Level. Surely someone has thought of a better system than this treadmill? A more organic and open ended structure of experience would IMHO be great.

Oh and if I ever have to camp with 7 other players at the location of the Pig Warlord/Elf Princess/Slaver Master/whatever waiting for them to spawn, just so that I can complete a ‘quest’, I will hurl.

Sorry, rant over - you may continue about your business :wink:

Yay! I have about 20 guildmates or so already in (since Alpha), as well as my fiance, but I’m always looking for new people to group with!

My main from the last push was a 26 warlock (this will definitely be my main char class in release, I adore playing pet classes), but this push so far, I’ve made a Tauren druid named Swan (currently lvl 9), an undead mage named Morrigania (currently level 5), and an undead warlock named Hekate (haven’t played her yet.

(my chars are almost always derived from goddess names…my human warlock’s name, and my main char’s name in any game I play is Cerridanae- hence Cerri- derived from Cerridwen, Morri was named for Morrigan, and even Swan was named for the Valkyrie Swanhilde)

I’ll likely be playing Horde chars for a while, since I got into the Alpha about 2 weeks before the last push ended, and didn’t get to see the undead lands at all. (they’ve been locked/off limits till this latest push).

My guild’s name is Yang, for the Horde side, and we’re going by Yin for our Alliance chars.

I meant I didn’t get into Alpha till about 2 weeks before the last Horde push ended. Beta began just after that, opening up the Alliance lands and closing off the Horde lands till this last push. =)

Same here; I got in for the last week of the alpha, so this is the first I’ll ever get to see of any of the Horde races. I’m thinking I’m going to let my Alliance characters languish for a while (to get “well-rested” apparently) and play around with Orcs & Taurens and Undead.

It’s been killing me not to be able to create an undead character so I could play as Solomon Grundy. Now how much do you want to bet that character name is already taken? Ah well, at least my download is finally finished.