Worst lyrics in rock/pop music

___________ by the Black Eyed Peas.

If that was his point, then it was even dumber than I thought.

The rest of that bridge is even worse, IMO:

Can you imagine your first dance, freeze dried romance
Five-hour phone conversation, the best soy latte that you ever had
And… me

Soy lattes. We’re now singing about soy lattes? No, please, just no.

For one of my favorite bands, I submit: Cracks in the Pavement which must be appreciated in its entirety, because it’s just all bad.

I raise you, “In the desert you can remember your name for there ain’t no one for to give you no pain”
America must have the worst collective lyrics ever.

The part where Madonna raps in American Life is full of embarrassing lyrics such as:

I’m drinking a soy latte
I have a double shot-ay
It goes right through my body

According to Billy Joel, when he played at the piano bar the song was based on, there was a regular who actually was named Davey who was in the Navy, and as far as he knew, still was.

Given that he’s singing about a metaphorical train that represents the power of love, in this place (and this is the only this place in the song where a train is mentioned), it seems really strange that what he’d like to point out is the various forms of tender *not *required, especially since he’d already enumerated all of ‘money’ as one of those. “Don’t worry about credit cards” always stuck out very, very strangely for me.

If you love somebody, set them free. No, I’m not being ironic. I was the last person on earth to see that Hallmark card, and I’m banking on the song’s listeners being unfamiliar with it.

Have you ever really, really really really, loved a woman?

Stranglehold by Nugent, love the music but jeez

I had another look and I had a cup of tea and a butter pie
Butter pie? The butter wouldn’t melt so I put it in the pie - from Admiral Halsey

Huh?

The Beatles - Mother Nature’s Son

Born a poor young country boy…

As opposed to being born old, Paul?

It’s a northern thing. You wouldn’t understand.

My submission is pedantic, and a different kind of dumb.

“Nothing has been proved” by Dusty Springfield and the Pet Shop Boys, from the film Scandal. Wonderful song, sumptious production, a delight to listen to. It cleverly tells the whole story of the Profumo Affair in one pop song. To remind the listener of the era, each stanza finishes with:

“‘Please please me’ is number one”

Only one problem - “Please please me” only got to number two. I know it wouldn’t scan as well, but it still bugs me.

Not so cut-and-dried. Per Wikipedia:

That makes me happy. I love that song and I couldn’t believe they’d made that mistake. I originally checked it against the Guinness Book of Hit Singles (in the days before the internet) and recently re-checked on everyhit.com.

I do remember the days of more than one chart, though - like when the BBC chart kept “God Save the Queen” at number 2, when it should have been number 1, and was on the NME chart.

Hijack over, back to the thread.

Has anyone mentioned the Killers and “Are we human, or are we dancer” yet?

The Curious Case Of Paul McButton.

It was Jim Webb, who wrote quite a few songs in the 60s that were performed by others – Macarthur Park (Richard Harris), Up, Up, and Away (The Fifth Dimension), The Worst That Could Happen (The Brooklyn Bridge), By the Time I Get to Phoenix, Wichita Lineman, and Galveston (Glen Campbell). Critics – with a straight face – compared him to Bob Dylan.

Rosecrans Boulevard was recorded by Johnny Rivers and also the Fifth Dimension. The lyrics include:

“Then there was the time you drove the little car down Sunset Boulevard doing ninety miles an hour in a thirty mile zone and blamed me when we got that ticket.”

The lyrics are so bad that you’d be hard pressed to find them on any lyric site on the web.

Remember, this was before Facebook.

I always liked that song, even though the lyrics are cheesy and it gets that special award for condensing as many syllables as possible into a line. Thing is, I always heard it as “rises like an empress”.

In any case, Kilimanjaro doesn’t actually rise like anything above the Serengeti. The mountain is a couple of hundred kilometres to the south east.:cool:

Interesting timing on this thread. As I was driving about an hour ago, the song “Eye of the Tiger” came on. I like that song. But there’s one part that makes me wonder if Survivor ever listened to their own lyrics and thought about it:

It’s the thrill of the fight
Rising up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night

If he’s the last survivor, he has no prey! And no rivals, for that matter.

Billy Joel’s full of them. But I’ll defend him on this one. The key word there is “still.” This guy probably didn’t plan on joining the Navy and didn’t want to make a life of it, but he’s never going to do anything else. (Davy/Navy is a really irritating rhyme, though.) The “real estate novelist” is the same idea. The whole song is about people who are never going to amount to anything and are trying to forget about it.